Would you be uncomfortable with this IB reservation?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Would you be uncomfortable with this IB reservation?

I received an IB reservation from a guest yesterday. She has a total of 2 trips on ABB and the review for the first one is this:

Response from XXXXXX:

we did not see any house rules posted on the wall. I wish you had mentioned them when we met you. No one saw them and we were unaware of their existence. Had we known there were certain rules I am sure we would have spent more time cleaning up after we left.

The second review is in Spanish and seems fine.

The first host unfortunately did not Thumbs Down this guest, so now I have ABB CS trying to tell me that her reviews are fine and I should host her.

What do you think?

17 Replies 17
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

How awesome it is to be able to make an informed decision.

The first host's review is so helpful to future guests and may be a wake-up call to the guest to clean up their act.  It also shows the guest to be defensive and slightly manipulative.

Whatever you decide, you'll make it with eyes open.

@Paul154 Well. My eyes may be open but CS is currently insisting that this should be a valid IB. Knowledge is only power if you’re allowed to act on that knowledge 

I like to believe that guest this this have learned their lesson and I think it is great to let them know that you believe they learned from their last experience. 

I would recommend messaging her something like...

"I know you had a not so great review before and I want to make sure I can leave you an amazing one.  My house rules and check out instructions are posted [wherever you put them] and feel free to ask me any questions if you are unsure."

My guess is that if she kept booking with her account after getting a bad review, she probably wants to continue staying in Airbnbs. So she is probably just as invested in getting more positive reviews as you are in having a positive experience.  I think a gentile nudge should do the trick!

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

And @Kelly149, in addition to what @Chelsie-And-Kevin0 wrote, ask her to bring her own towels. 🙂 I hate those make-up stains... 

And for whoever manages to get a grip of the product below - it's worth its price (and it's cheap ;)) - I treated stains after New Year's Eve party - wine, some tomato sauce - put the remover over the fabrics for 24h in a non-colour plastic bag and then to the laundy - no trace afterwards:

SIL.jpg

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

I wish I could find this in the States!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Kelly149

There is no way guests are unaware of the house rules, they will have to tick the box that they have read them before they are able to book. I have a folder in my apartment that repeat the house rules and in pre-booking message I ask the guests to read the full listing and the folder on arrival.

Communicate well with these guests to make sure they will abide by your rules and put out those towels that are ready for the trash anyway.

@Marit-Anne0 My guests ALWAYS are aware of the House Rules. Furthermore the rules this guest broke don’t even fall into the category of anything more than treat a host’s home decently. 

My problem here is the guest first acting badly and then rather than apologizing and intending to act better her answer was “well I didn’t know anyone expected me to act respectfully”. I contend that this review fits perfectly within the context of a guest whose IB should be easily canceled by CS. 

@Marit-Anne0 Oh and also guests may certainly tick the box that they have AGREED to the rules without having ever READ the rules. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Kelly149

Try again - use Twitter.

@Marit-Anne0 I’m not done. It’ll work out fine for me. I’m just posting for the next poor soul who won’t realize that they’re being bullied rather than supported by CS. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Kelly149

Ah, yeah, those bullies, I have had my fair share 😞

There is a post on the forum called " All you need to know about Instant Book" - refer to that one.

@Kelly149 since your original question was whether I personally would be uncomfortable with this IB, I would say: not to the point of cancelling the reservation.

I would communicate with the guest and make it clear what guests are normally asked to do upon departure.

I would let them know that I wanted their stay to be 5-star and that my goal would be also to have a great experience hosting them so that I could give them a terrific review.

You and the guest both want the trip to go smoothly and to be able to leave flattering reviews of each other.

Try to let them know you are both on the same team with the same goals, and try to work out how you can both make that happen.

People often live up or down to your expectations of them. If you go into this assuming they are going to be disaster, that often brings the disaster.

And (while it doesn't happen all the time), letting someone know that you believe they can be terrific often gives them the chance to be the terrific person you are hoping for.

(Background: I did a lot of youth work and found this to be true for teenagers.)

Let them know you are going to give them a chance, and also work to help them succeed.

Most people are capable of being great guests; help this one be a great guest and they may surprise you.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kelly149  ok, nobody feels totaly comfortable with a guest with less then great reviews, but, according to this review,  they left some mess but they haven't done any damage... except maybe makeup stains on towels... which may or may not go away .  In fact nothing so bad to be worth  a cancelation hassle.

So,if you ask me, I would host them but I would leave them some makeup remover in the bathroom and tell them to use it.

Robb6
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Something my cleaning crew told me before I opened my place up to Airbnb... Get dark towels and dark linens, but seriously, I agree that if given the choice I wouldn't have hosted them either, but it's the risk you take with IB. As stated above several times, it sounds like the infractions listed in the first review weren't too egregious, so that's good. But I don't think you have a case with CS. Keep the guest informed and hope for the best!