Would you consider using QR code to help enhance your rentals experience?

Would you consider using QR code to help enhance your rentals experience?

I am currently conducting research for a college project regarding potential QR code use in the Airbnb industry.  All responses are appreciated and no actual names will be published in the project.

(1) How open are you to putting QR codes around your Airbnb as instructions for your renters on how to use appliances? (scale 1-5) 1 being never open to it and 5 being extremely open to it.

(2) How comfortable are you with using QR codes? (Scale 1-5) 1 being never comfortable and 5 being extremely comfortable.

(3) How much would you be willing to pay for a singular QR code? ($ amount)

(4) What features would be most important to you if QR codes were going to be in your Airbnb? (messaging, videos, photos, or other)

(5) How would you utilize QR codes around your rentals mainly? (Greeting guests, rules, tutorials such as WIFI)

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pat7932 

(1) 1

(2) 1

(3) 0

(4) N/A

(5) N/A

I really can't imagine why any host would need this.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Pat7932 

1  -  1

2  -  1

3  -  $0.00

4  -  None

5  -  Have no idea.

I can just picture a guest at the front door of my mountain cabin trying to use a QR code to get the access instructions and realizing that there is no service on their cell phone and they haven't connected to the wifi yet.   

@Lorna170  Haha, same here. Lots of my international guests don't even have their phones set up to use in Mexico. They come here to unplug from the digital world, not have some new learning curve presented to them to what, use the toaster?

I guess the OP thinks all Airbnbs are faceless self check-ins in the city or suburbs and that all guests are 20-30 year old digital nomads.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sarah977,

I definitely am not a 20-30 something year old, but I do utilize a good bit of technology to manage features and functionality my spaces (e.g., remote door locks, Ring doorbells, security cameras, smart thermostats) even when I am onsite.

As an experienced traveler that usually reserves entire spaces, I prefer self check-in, because I don't feel any pressure to arrive at a certain time to avoid delaying the host for other activities.  Plus, after arrival (usually from a long journey), I can unwind and refresh before having to meet/greet the host.  

I don't think that I am as much of a tech enthusiast as @Dale711, but do believe that it has it's conveniences.  When it fails, I rely upon traditional backups like meeting guests, and having my neighbor regularly go by my place when I'm not home.

@Debra300 I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek about the demographic. I know there are plenty of people of all ages who are savvy and into high tech stuff. My dad was one of those people- we had the first TV in my neighborhood back in the early 50's. That's ancient tech now, but he also had no problem learning his way around computers at the age of 70, and my 90 year old stepmom navigates her smart phone like a teenager.

But I myself am not into any tech stuff, and most of my guests aren't either.

@Debra300 

Debra, standstills! Doesn’t falls. The Matrix 4  coming out in theaters 16’Dec 2021Debra, standstills! Doesn’t falls. The Matrix 4 coming out in theaters 16’Dec 2021

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Pat7932,

I am pretty tech savvy in my professional life in my job as an IT Project Manager, but QR codes were never something that appealed to me personally.  Nor have I seen them widely used by my colleagues, friends and family in the US (I work for a US company, and still live part-time in Atlanta).  I also did not observe many/any of them during my travels to Canada and western Europe.  There is almost no adoption of QR technology in the Caribbean.

In response to your questionnaire:

1) 1.  Many of my guests only know how to use Facebook and Whatsapp.

2) 2.  I found downloading and setting up a QR reader on my mobile to be cumbersome, and using it didn't consistently read the code.

3) Nothing.  There currently isn't a need.

4) If I were to use QR codes, the most important feature would be videos to show guests how to use appliances.

5) Tutorials.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Pat7932 

Thank you for your questions.

I’m enthusiasm for technology,

Question 1 and 2,

My answer is [ 5 ]  my reasons are convict, convert and effective.

Questions 3,

As reasonable price.

Question 4 and 5,

All the features in Airbnb

The QR code is not a new technology.
The QR code system was invented in 1994 by Masahiro Hara from the Japanese company Denso Wave.

[ DENSO CORPORATION  ] 

QR code are finally having their moments because of COVID-19. 
QR codes on direct mail pieces can also help marketers gain useful information from their campaigns.

Recently, due to the coronavirus pandemic and social distancing restrictions, QR codes are appearing outside venues so you can ‘check in’. This helps to monitor the number of people meeting in public spaces. Many restaurants have also been using QR systems to allow diners to join virtual queues.

Although, that is always a room for a scammer, download a Antivirus scanner with best the deals of Antivirus software.

Actually,  QR code never went away.
The system will surely standstills  in the services and hospitality field till the future, 2030.

My question is, 
What’s going to replace QR code? I’m excited! 

6BD66E53-82EE-4CB7-A077-73FB46D72DE7.png

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Rather amusing on a survey about tech that you haven't created an online survey hosts can use rather asking them to respond manually @Pat7932 😁😁😁

(1)  1

(2) 1

(3)  $0.00

(4)  N/A

(5)  N/A

Nothing against technology here, but you want for it to make life simpler - to save a step, rather than adding one. If guests have to use their personal devices (which may have run out of power during the journey) to access information that could have just as easily been left as a basic printout, the host has failed in the mission to provide comfort and convenience.