Would you leave an honest review? Could there be negative repercussions in any way?

Angela665
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Would you leave an honest review? Could there be negative repercussions in any way?

I am new to hosting and I've been really spoiled by our first 5 guests. They've been great, minimal cleanup. Just generally great but I have just had a very bad experience. Definately not worth it I almost feel a bit violated by the way my home was treated. I don't want a retailiatory review and i've also heard a rumor that if a host leaves a bad review they might be lower in the search. I also think that part of the issue might have been a language/cultural barrier (they must have been unable to read the house rules/listing details) as they where foreign students from china I believe..

They arrived two hours before the check in time without any message letting me know they would come early. I wasn't home and they tried to get into the main house (not for rent) where they startled my babysitter who was watching my infant son. They imediately asked her for a permit for their parking or if they could use the garage. The listing clearly states parking isn't included and I can purchase a permit from the city. After my sitter contacted me I got in touch with them and offered to print them a parking permit. They declined and said they would look for free parking somewhere. I just mention this to indicate it's clear they didn't read the listing.

They seemed ok after that but after they checked out they basically trashed the place. There was mud and food on the bathroom floor. The dishrack and dishes were on the floor along with most of a smashed watermelon (seriously?). They stayed for one night and there was as much garbage as our family of three produces in 2 weeks. They also opened the duvet covers, had some pillows out of the cover. They took out all the extra blankets and they were on the floor. So in addition to washing the sheets I had to wash all of the pillows themselves and the duvets (i.e. not just the covers). I think it came to about 5 loads of laundry to get everything clean. Some of the garbage on the floor was quite gross such as wet tissues. They squirted the hand lotion I provided all over the shower and I found some kind of seeds all over the floor. Just overall it was disgusting. They ruined two full rolls of toilet paper by taking them off the dispenser and leaving them on the floor where they got wet and dirty. I kind of scratch my head how they made sucha  mess in such a short time.

However, all that said nothing was permanently damaged or stained (small blessings). It did take 3+ hours to clean plus the time for 5 loads of laundry. Which seems unreasonable for one night and thank god I didn't have another guest the same day. I don't know what I would have done.

What would you do?

31 Replies 31
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Angela665moving to a two or three night min might be a knee jerk reaction to something which may never happen again... You will lose bookings on doing so, but if it doesn't bother you, do it. I wouldn't let these guests taint you for all comers!

Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

You absolutely MUST leave them a bad review.
This is the ONLY indication to other hosts as to how a guest will behave in their place. Doing anything less is like hanging your fellow hosts out to dry.
This is precisely why we have a review system. Without reviews, there is nothing to go on.
How would you feel if you knew that another host could have left a warning review but didn't, and instead, because of that, YOUR place now got messed up? What about the next host after you?
Definitely wait until the last day but do it just before the review cutoff time so they won't have time to review you back. Of course, if they spontaneously review you anyway, before you review them, then go ahead and review. 
Remember that reviews are double blind, so they will not be able to see your review until AFTER they write one of their own or after the 14 days are up. The cut off is exactly 14 days from check-out time in YOUR time zone. That is, the time zone where the property is located. 
Thumbs down for them and 1 star on each category.  Then write something along the lines of:
"So-and-so only stayed one night at our place. However, the suite required extensive cleaning after they left. Would NOT reccomend."
I recently had brand new guests with no reviews who booked our place several weeks in advance. Just before they were due to arrive, I had another look at their profile, just to see. Sure enough, they had a review that stated exactly what I posted above: "the suite required extensive cleaning after they left". I contacted the other host and asked what went on. He told me a story similar to yours, though not nearly as bad. But food left everywhere and an unusual amount of garbage produced for a stay of only a few nights duration. It was too late for me, since they booked before the review, but at least I knew what to expect, and true to form, they left my place disgusting with food tossed all over the place and and enough garbage for a 3 week stay. My family of 5 doesn;t produce that much garbage in a week! And they only stayed 3 nights!
They got a review similar to the one I've recommended to you. 
Good luck and please come back and let us know how it pans out.

In addition, I just went a looked at that guest's reviews again. Since he stayed at our place, he's had 2 more  reviews that were good. Perhaps he learned something, or perhaps the other hosts were too afraid to be truthful. I guess I'll never know, but I hope he learned.

Yes I think there are a lot of hosts that are afraid to be helpful. They did leave me a spontaneous review ( ironically pointing out my place was “very clean”) so I’ve left them one as well. I did leave them an ok rating on house rules (they were quiet at least and nobody smoked in the house) but otherwise hosts will be sufficiently warned about the cleanliness and communication issues. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Angela665 I very much related to your story and to your feelings. I experienced something very similar my first month hosting. And I DID have guests coming the same day and had only four hours to clean (and sanitize) my entire Cottage. I will spare you the details, but it was a very grusome scene. I called Airbnb about it later when I had time. I was thinking of quitting and not hosting anymore. It was so bad that the Customer Service Rep went to their manager to see if there was a way to immediately get the guests out of their system (they had never used Airbnb before). I was very lucky to be treated in a most outstanding and genuinely empathetic manner by the Airbnb reps who helped me. They also reimbursed me on linens, etc, which, being new, I had not expected. I decided to continue hosting, mainly because of  how I was treated by people at Airbnb. I am so glad that I didn't stop hosting, because since then I have not had any big issues come up and the rental is a success - And hosting is something I love doing. 

So hang in there - Hopefully this will be the last time something like this happens to you. There's a great community here, and, for me, no other booking platform can compare to Airbnb, despite their imperfections and occasional mis-steps. 

this actually gives me hope for ABNB. We read so many horror stories of hosts being left to hang out todry by ABNB. I really hope they are changing this. 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Angela665

Angela, we are all going to give a slightly differing opinion on what you should do....and I am sorry about that but we all have experiences that lead us down different paths.

My advice to you would be to keep your review itself very generic!....something along the lines of...

"This was not a hosting experience that sits well with me. Possibly it was due to cultural differences and I wish xxxxx all the best for the future but would decline the invitation to host him/them again!" 

Angela, that says it all, you have not accused the guest of anything specific....and this is where you must be careful! Airbnb have a tendecy to bow to guests requests over hosts requests...and if you mention specific things the guest will have your review removed! Believe me it does happen!

Do not get into a verbal 'fist fight' with this guest....by being 'generic' you have got your point across to other hosts and you have shown yourself to be a conciliatory, restrained and diplomatic host....the sort we would all like to stay with.

If you wish to be specific, you can answer criticism in your guest review public response....but even there I would stay above the mud slinging and keep yourself that aloof, unflappable host that is the hallmark of a superhost!

Cheers.....Rob

I wouldn't bring cultural differences into it. This really is not a cultural issue. It's simply a cleanliness one.

Yes yes I agree about the cultural thing I did wind up leaving a review and didn't mention it. I only mention it in this post because I think it was a sign that may have been unable to read the listing (due to language barrier) and unaware of what an airbnb was. 

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Angela665,

You won't get pushed down in search results for leaving a bad review.

The guest doesn't see your review until they've written theirs and they can't edit it after that. So they can't leave a retaliatory one just because they don't like yours. They can comment on your review of them but that appears only on their profile page.

Steve.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Okay, @Angela665, keep it simple in your thumbs down review which reflects your experience, not other host experiences.   Do no mention cultural differences as it could be seen that your review is discriminatory. Cleanliness, communication and lack of respect for your home are the issues.  The good thing about a negative experience is the opportunity to develop appropriate changes for the future.  Successful hosting is about learning, experimenting, listening to others and staying current.  Good luck in this business!!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Another kind of 'negative' review: "'X' stayed with us 5 days" + thumbs down. Send on the very last minute before cut off (14th day).

Hi Fred, when is the very last minute please? I'm waiting to do this? It says I have 4 days left to leave a review? Is it from the time of check -in?

Thanks in advance  

Michelle 

@Michelle811  I'm not Fred, and he might not see this unless you tag him- 14 days from check-out.

Hi Sarah sorry thought I was replying to Fred's comment haha. Sorry I'm new to the airbnb community but finding these discussions very useful and helpful! Thanks so much 🙂