Wrong phone number on accounts

Derik0
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

Wrong phone number on accounts

I wanted to let everyone know to watch out for guests that have wrong phone numbers verified on their accounts. From time to time when I don't hear back from guests prior to check in I might reach out to them by phone. Every time I have come across travelers that have incorrect (local) numbers verified on their accounts there has been nothing but trouble.

Yes in some cases travelers might have changed phone numbers and their old number might still be on their account but in a world where it is easy to spoof #'s and or call from VOIP #'s I think that Airbnb should put a policy in place that these travelers (when identified)  must update and verify their correct phone numbers prior to check-in. Phone numbers are required for Emergencies and communication and I hope Airbnb will look into what can be done to ensure their travelers are providing hosts current information.

Happy Hosting, 

Derik

3 Replies 3
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Sounds like a good plan!

Andrea220
Level 3
Jackson, MS

I've run into this problem multiple times as well. I use their phone numbers to make a door code and despite telling guests the door code matches their phone number on Airbnb, I get someone at least twice a month that can't access the property because they aren't using the correct phone number. I've also had a guest get locked out of their account and didn't have an up to date phone number so I had no way to contact them. I don't understand why they don't verify phone number and email address before every booking just like you'd have to to book a hotel, airline ticket, or to do online shopping.

Jean5655
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I've been trying for 3 months to get my phone number (which I've had for 20 years) attached to my account. Apparently someone "verified" it and it's attached to someone else and 3 escalations to the product team have produced nothing. I'm trying to host my property and they can't fix this - why would I want to work with Airbnb?!?!