Wrote my first 2-Star review and... guest was gracious!

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

Wrote my first 2-Star review and... guest was gracious!

After 40 guests, I just had to write my first "not recommended" review.  Right from the get go, I was a bit worried: Their picture looked a bit intimidating; they weren't very forthcoming in their messages. Nonetheless, I stuck by my booking rules (which they met) and accepted the reservation. When they arrived, they were very pleasant and respectful. We had a nice chat as I showed them around. A couple times during their stay, we ran into each other on the property and exchanged a friendly good morning. They were quiet. All was great!

Then, after checkout, I headed down to the suite to start cleaning and found... a MESS!!. No damage, but 3 hours later, I'm still cleaning.

No doubt in my mind that other hosts need to know about his messy habits, so I sat down to write the review (ugh).

Of course, I worried about whether I was being fair (too harsh ? not harsh enough?), about the kind of impact the reiew would have on the guest (afterall, they weren't EVIL, just sloppy) and whether the guest would make things difficult for me in return. I acknowledged what the guest did right, gave a factual description of the mess they left behind, took a deep breath, and clicked "submit". And then... within minutes, the guest responded with a brief apology and a "god bless".

Just thought it was worth sharing this, since so often we here about the times things get nasty. Even problem guests can pleasantly surprise us!

46 Replies 46

My particular situation, the type of guests I make sure I get, and personal style are unique to my reality.

I don't think none of it translates for your reality, which is totally different of course.

What is great is that we are both meeting with much success. Live is good.

Raman2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I say use it.  Break it u pay lose it u pay..

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Isabel203 I've been there before... where I had bad feelings about accepting, but not enough 'reason' to decline. 99% of the time, the feeling is the right one, though.

Raman2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I earned 459 euros my first month very small room near London 

Elaine-And-David0
Level 2
Worksop, United Kingdom

I would consider a bad guest soemone like I had. He and his mate  had been coming every week (Monday to Friday)  for a month and had been very pleasant then one night he went out with his mate for a drink. They  returned a 4 am completely hammered (drunk) and brought back 3 teenage girls with them. These girls were ones my husband had been teaching at school the year before so were very young if of legal age. One of the guys was married with 4 kids back at home. They brought them into our house without permission. When we asked them to leave they wouldn't. It took an hour to get them out and then they stood on the street making a scene annoying our neighbours. At 6.30 we threatened to call  the police so they left the area. They turned up between 8-9 am after we had gone out and  collected their cars, leaving all their belongings in the rooms. It took a further 2 weeks to get these removed. We were very worried about the fact they had also taken our house and room keys with them, also that they were driving whilct being well over the limit. It has made us change some of our house rules and we would not know hesitate to have someone removed from the pemises.  So a messy even annoying guests seems like a dream these days.

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

I assume that "three hours of cleaning" was for one room?  That is a lot, but I also think a two-star review is rarely warranted.  That would be REALLY bad, and you admitte that the stay wasn't that bad, other than messiness.  In over 50 stays in our home, we've had plenty of messy people who were wonderful people.  Difference is that we rent the whole house; and very clean people still require me and my husband about 5 hours to clean.  When they place is obviously disrespected, such as glitter blown up all over the house for a party (no parties allowed) that is still being discovered, and holes in the wall, and cigarette burns in the deck (no smoking allowed), Then THAT could be a two-star review.  Sure, it's a subjective review process - that's why so many of us don't like it.  But, giving someone a very low star rating - whether it's a Guest or a Host - has a long-term impact to their future bookings or stays, so please make sure the rating is warranted, and really about the subjects of each rating category.  IMO.

When REALLY in doubt, I try to stick with the anchors provided on the rating system itself. 3 stars is anchored as "average", and so a guest who was absolutely at the bottom of the 40 guests I've hosted and in fact was in a whole (bad) category of their own, earned less than 3. They clearly weren't a 1 (no permanent damage, didn't make me feel unsafe). So, that made them a 2 for me. I know others rely less on those anchors, but for me they are important decision points. At the same time, I really wish AirBnB would change them.

Raman2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Me and my mum host.  She complains everyone is messy.   I think there clean .  She is just fussy and needs to relax. ..how much mess did he make which took three hrs. . That kinda says a lot about u that u manage to find that so quickly 

Trust me, @Raman2, I didn't need to "find" it... it FOUND me, lol! 

Raman2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

A lot of u sound just like my mum...If u look for things wrong u will find it...I never find any problems cause I know people clean and communicate different.   So I leave them to do it in there own way and time...lack of communication never hurt anyone and bad cleaning just put ur cleaning rate up to cover unforseen circumstances. .offer part back if extra clean 

Annette2
Level 2
KCMO, MO

I just had a guest cancel less than 48 hours before check in, with the stated reason "my wife and daughter are really sick". While I appreciate that, when I had to cancel guests because of a water leak, I was charged $100 per guest as I estimated repairs would take several weeks. I had to send invoices and pics to prove I actually suffered the damage to my property. The waived some of the fees, but I also got no income during that period. I think it's too slanted towards guests, not hosts.  Now, less than 2 days before the reservation, Airbnb suggests I offer a 10% discount to  try to get someone else to rent it? Why don't you have the original guest make up that 10% or more? How do I know they are sick, they don't have to provide andy documentation like I had to as  a host. I have a strict cancellation policy, and Airbnb can overide it, totally at their discretion. A hotel would be over $100 more a night in my area for less space and amenitites.  I feel like the slant towards guets vs hosts sucks. Sorry! Annette 

you are right

I agree with you Annette. Airbnb is way too in favor of the guests but we're the ones who provide the real estate for them to conduct their multi billion $$ business.

Beth23
Level 4
SF, CA

I tend to be graious and positive with my reviews and have had mostly great guests. I was especially positive early on in hosting and never gave a bad review. I had one guest who made me feel uncomfortable in my own house (she thought it was a hotel) and I still think about her and wish I were more honest.

I see nothing wrong with a less than 5 star review based on a negative personality or leaving the place in a mess especially if you're renting a room and they are part of your personal space. If you would not want them to stay again then maybe others wouldn't want them in their home either. Please give honest reviews after all we are inviting strangers into our homes.

I agree, I would not wish my one particular guest on anyone, and wanted to give a review that would guarantee no one else rented to them. I realize they can bring a service dog with no notice, but I never heard of a service dog not house trained. It was disgusting to clean. They clearly treated it like a hotel, and that I was the maid. I gave them a 1 in most things, and 1 -3. Airbnb took that as a rating of 3. They also asked for a full refund because I somehow discriminated against them.