Wrote my first 2-Star review and... guest was gracious!

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

Wrote my first 2-Star review and... guest was gracious!

After 40 guests, I just had to write my first "not recommended" review.  Right from the get go, I was a bit worried: Their picture looked a bit intimidating; they weren't very forthcoming in their messages. Nonetheless, I stuck by my booking rules (which they met) and accepted the reservation. When they arrived, they were very pleasant and respectful. We had a nice chat as I showed them around. A couple times during their stay, we ran into each other on the property and exchanged a friendly good morning. They were quiet. All was great!

Then, after checkout, I headed down to the suite to start cleaning and found... a MESS!!. No damage, but 3 hours later, I'm still cleaning.

No doubt in my mind that other hosts need to know about his messy habits, so I sat down to write the review (ugh).

Of course, I worried about whether I was being fair (too harsh ? not harsh enough?), about the kind of impact the reiew would have on the guest (afterall, they weren't EVIL, just sloppy) and whether the guest would make things difficult for me in return. I acknowledged what the guest did right, gave a factual description of the mess they left behind, took a deep breath, and clicked "submit". And then... within minutes, the guest responded with a brief apology and a "god bless".

Just thought it was worth sharing this, since so often we here about the times things get nasty. Even problem guests can pleasantly surprise us!

46 Replies 46
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

One some people are sloppy doesn't make them terrible people some are good and others are bad  

My place is spotless when guest arrive as they leave a little cleaning is to be expected it take three hours to clean my location why because Iam a detailed cleaner the company witch is s&b cleaning services inc makes sure of it so come on now 

You're right, @Edwin57, being sloppy doesn't make someone a bad person. And some mess and dirt is part of the script. My place may be smaller than yours - a top-to-bottom clean typically takes an hour and a half. This time, it took 4 hours plus another 2 hours of laundry. Luckily, I don't have another guest scheduled for check-in until tomorrow afternoon!

yes, absolutely right

ya,abosulitly correct

So then, what is a "bad" person you refer to?  I'm looking at potentially writing a bad review for a guest who was neat and clean but a poor communicator, generally had a negative attitude about most of life, and felt dealt a bad hand.  From my observation, she had many gifts and opportunities but maybe didn't come from the happiest of families.  But she acted out from that place.  

-

@Linda476:  It sounds to me that you may be reviewing a personality rather than issues as a Guest.  We all experience all ranges of Guests - many of them we would not choose as friends, but that doesn't mean they've don anything wrong as a Guest.  Please don't give people a bad review because they are negative or complain about their life.  That is just simply not fair- and will only make them more negative.  If your Guest kept the place somewhat neat, didn't break or tear things up, communicated, etc., then there is no reason why you shouldn't give them an excellent review!

The entire issue was communication, a key Airbnb measure. She packed up her things in a pretty sneaky fashion, was about to leave when I wandered into the kitchen as she was packing the last of her food and asked her if she was leaving. She left 10 days early because her other place opened up, and wasn't going to say a word.  I have had people leave early for various reasons, but never had anyone not speak or message me about it and why.  This was passive-aggressive behavior because I upheld my cancellation policy. 

I don't expect to like everyone the same.  I expect people to respectful of things and in their communication. I have had other people complain about all sorts of things. I'm a therapist and the evening she started diagnosing her mom and brother in some detail, stating she was mentally well and they were not, and that she threatened to hit her mom once (why would you share that with anyone?).  

My point in asking is exactly this: would you want this person to stay with you?  I saw red flags that I would want to know about.  I'm very hesitant to leave a negative review. Otherwise, I would not bother putting this out there.  And, I am weighing this all against this was her first Airbnb stay - but true for many of my guests.  

It's probably a good thing that she left early.

@Linda476@Isabel203:  I'm so so sorry Linda!  The response I wrote was for Isabel.  I've never experienced the original poster's name not being at the top of the list.  So when I entered the @ sign, I hit return - and it went to you and not to Isabel.  I apologize and promise to be more cautious.

@Linda476then all you have to put is 'me & this guest were not well suited for each other, but that doesnt mean she shouldnt be given a second chance with someone who may be a better fit.'

I think my response was meant for @Isabel203

Sorry

Thanks for the input....somehow people are responding to me on someone else's post.  I had a separate post with more of the particulars.  I've received several useful comments. I think she should be given another chance.  I've hosted many different types of people, not all were to my liking but generally I leave positive reviews.  This one was different, and honestly I don't recommend her for Airbnb but I'm probably not leaving any review, and chalking it up to her having lots of personal stress and inexperience. I think she got that I see Airbnb as a community where hosts and guests are mutually respectful - across age, religion, personality, socio-economic differences. She needs to consider the policies on Airbnb before booking in the future.   I host mostly long-term in my home, and that is very different than hostng a stand-alone unit. I am thankful for the many amazing, and mostly young adults who have stayed with me (as well as others).  For the most part they give me great hope in humanity.  That has also been my experience staying in Airbnbs in several parts of the world.

nice post