Yogurt's missing...Really:)

Sharion0
Level 9
Santa Rosa, CA

Yogurt's missing...Really:)

I had a lovely 20 something gal stay with her mom last night for one night while on their road trip. Daughter made reservation with her account. My breakfast is served at 8a, I hear mom up and about at 5:30 am. I get up at 7:30 to make breakfast, mom says no, just coffee, I notice an empty yogurt container on the counter. Daughter says no she is eager to get on the road, she's been in the room acking up all morning. They leave at 8, I start the clean up process because I have additional guests checking in later today. I open the fridge...and there's 9 missing yogurt cups...what??? I 2nd guess myself, didn't I shop yesterday for yogurt...yes, I did, there were 11 yogurts in the fridge. How do you open someones fridge,take out 9 yogurts, put it in your bag and walk out??? I'm 100% sure it was the mom:), so I'm nt ging to write a negative review on the young girl's account...it's just too wierd:)  

28 Replies 28
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Sharion0 ha ha... sometimes weird things happen. I recently had a guest who *accidentally* pack 2 of my hangers with her. Not sure how you accidentally pack hangers w/ you, especially if you did not come here with one that means they are not yours! This morning when I checked on the unit after a different guest check-out, I found out that they moved the bed in the bedroom. Yes, the whole bed.

@Farah1Walking out with hangers? Moving furniture???, I could forgive the hangers, but I wouldn't be happy about furniture rearranging...that's over the top!:) I have a quiet policy from 10p until 7am. I should have gotten up when I heard her at 5:30 walking all around the house, but I didn't...next time I will, someone has to protect the yogurt:)

Mimi13
Level 7
Union Pier, MI

Yogurt and hangers missing? Furniture moved? Where do some of these people come from? The occasional theft or rearrangemant is probably expected at a hotel, but this is my home. I can't believe they would go to their friend's home and do that. 

I had a couple with a one year old last year. They knew I didn't have any crib, but they were free to bring one. On arrival, they said they decided it was too much to pack and he would just sleep with them in the queen. Okay with me. The next day, I'm checking my other 2 rooms and find 2 pillows missing from a bed and later a cushion from the living room. (I have a 2 night minimum.) When I later see in their room because the door is open, the bed frame and foundation is against the far wall and the mattress is on the floor next to it! The cushion and pillows are blocking various spots to keep the child controlled. Certainly I was surprised, (but friends tell me I'm too nice). I simply asked them to be sure it was returned to the original position and the bedskirt is in it's proper place. I live alone and am 66. There is no way I can lift the mattress to straighten the skirt. You can bet I changed the house rules after that to say "no moving furniture".

@Mimi13, going into different rooms and removing pillows? WOW, that's really nervy, why not just ask you? I'm with you, moving my bed back into it's original position would make me very unhappy:(.

@Sharion0 @Farah1 @Mimi13

You are all too nice!!!! 9 missing yogurt cups, hangers, moving furniture, taking pillows and cushions from other rooms without asking??? What is WRONG with these people??? Then again, I remember reading about people who take the extra rolls of TP with them when they leave -_-;;;;; I try really really hard to be open minded...... but seriously?!?!?!?!? 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I think it is not about being open minded. There are rules and boundaries, but some people choose to be ignorant and disrespectful and think that "it's not a big deal"... that is my hypothesis. The hanger is a good example, they *might* think it is not a big deal, hanger is 10c each, not expensive. Well, this is what I think, 1. it does not matter how much it is, if it is not yours then don't take it and 2. I cannot just buy a single hanger to replace it, I either need to buy a 10 pack (that yes, still not expensive), but that means I need to spend extra time to get the replacement or I need to give away my personal hangers. I am a very fair person regarding rights and responsibilities and that is why I feel violated when people take what's mine/clearly not belong to them and cause inconvenience.

Chad-and-Char0
Level 8
North Vancouver, Canada

I think the problem is, guests think of what we provide as the equivalent to what a hotel would provide.  Hotels expect thefts and breakages, so buy in bulk and have room to store extras.

My last guest broke a wine glass.  They didn't tell me and probably didn't think much of it.  I want to say something to them about how they need to let hosts know about things that need to be replaced, because we don't have extras on hand.

Another guest took a container of laundry detergent.  There are coin machines on site and when guests say they'd like to do a load, I offer detergent since it doesn't make sense for them to buy a whole container for 1 or 2 loads.  These guests said they accidentally put it in with their things when they were packing up, but really?  A whole container of laundry detergent?  While packing up from a vacation???

Deb29
Level 9
San Mateo, CA

@Sharion0, I agree with others who responed that the longer you host the longer the list of strange things that your guest will do. I would take the stance of choosing my battles. Even though it's an annoyance that the lady took your yogurt, I would save the negative review to the more serious types of issues, like someone stealing a Television or fan.

Good luck!

Deb

Automate your Airbnb messages with Aviva IQ

@Deb29, Hi Debb, I didn't leave her a negative review, actually since the Airbnb account is the daughters, I left a glowing review for the daughter, never mentioning mom. The mother took the yogurt, I'm sure to her daughters mortification when mom opened up the " snack bag" at a rest stop on their road trip, I know my daughter would be mortified:).  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am going to share a story that is not meant to minimize the difficulty with guests "acquiring" stuff, @Sharion0, but just want to state sometimes hosts (by hosts I mean me) are dizzy as guests.

Early in my hosting experience, I had a college professor staying with me in my shared space listing for 2 weeks.  He was a wonderful guest and stored a few things in my refridgerator.  Well, I didn't realize he was storing the same brand of yogurt that I normally buy so I ate some cartons.    Yup, ate his food.  Later realized it and told him as I replaced the items.  So embarrassing!  Now I have a whole refridgerator for my guests in the garage.  We all have a learning curve.

My point is there may be sometimes when the behavior is just the guest making assumptions due to lack of experience or inattentiveness.  I think if the host messages the guest noting the missing items, most will be embarrassed.  I think that helps the host community to help guests become more attentive about boundaries and expectations.

@Linda108, Linda, you're story is funny and I'm sure your guest laughed the mistake off as well, with buying the same kind of yogurt and all:). I serve my guests breakfast consisting of a bagel, cream cheese, yogurt and coffee or tea. In my opinion, spending one night in a strangers house and walking off with 9 yogurts isn't a mistake, quite frankly it classify's as theft:) Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I'm going to make sure I get up the minute I hear movement in the lving areas of my home from now on:) 

Loving reading all the replies to your story I thought I would share one.  

Last weekend we had a young couple stay for two nights as they were attending a friend's wedding.  When they arrived they queried why we were here and fully expected the whole place to themselves.  I showed them the listing which was very clear and they agreed it did not say whole house.  I asked them if they still wanted to stay and they shrugged like 'what option do we have now'.  I showed them their rooms (my guest quarters are two double rooms with an open doorway between them plus a bathroom for their use) all other areas they are welcme to share with us.  They went into their room and a while later came out asking a question "which bed are you sleeping in".....I pmsl they thought my husband and I were in the same room.  I put them straight that we had other bedrooms and that the whole space was theirs.  Boy wipes brow in relief...... They too took 3 toilet rolls with them on leaving so I am only leaving 2 out now and tell guests to ask for more if they need it.

@Jo158 Laughing out loud for sure! Your story is hilarious:) Thanks for the giggles, back to work for me now:)

@Jo158  OMG!!!!! I can't stop laughing!!!! 

@Ann3  I can't believe there are so many TP swipers out there in the world!!!!