You really have to have a sense of humor in this business...

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You really have to have a sense of humor in this business...

I just got featured in a few publications and got the usual millions of hits, but the questions that followed were amusing from the hundreds of direct  inquiries (to my web site) that followed the articles. Two didn't mention Airbnb, the great majority do associate Bird Island with Airbnb.

1. For a 3-day stay I should pay for only 2 nights but get to stay 3 full days

2. Doesn't from the 12th-16th constitudes only 3 days? 

3. How many people can I bring to keep the first-2-person base price the same? 

4. What is the maximum amount of people the place holds, we are 11 people but like to know if we can bring more! (6 person maximum)

5. Can you hold X dates till I get paid?

6. So do I really have to send a 50% deposit now? Why?

7. Can I pay in monthly installments?

8. Why should my deposit not be fully defundable if I cancel even on the eve of my arrival?

9. Please book me for dates X (never bothering to look at the calendar).

10. I am 'considering' staying in your place if you take care of all my transportation to it. (Don't take too long)

11. Why can't I book for only 1 day (4-day minimum), because that is all I can afford.

Well that was 'fun'; 95% were like these, serious. Most were innocent enough, but most were clueless how STR works. I removed my reservation form in my web site and temporarily replaced it with a link to Airbnb till the scary avalanche subsides. At least with Airbnb they will have to verify themselves, will have to make an account if able to read somewhat, will have the math done for them and will have to pay up front. 

Trust me folks, it is a frightening world out there! I think Airbnb has the patience of a saint.

111 Replies 111
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Fred13  Thanks for the laugh.  How do you even deal with hundreds of inquiries coming in a space of a few days?

As I just posted to another topic, some people really just aren't very bright. It's kind of taken me a long time to realize this- like about 60 years. When you're used to hanging out with reasonably intelligent and some truly brilliant people, you just assume that most folks are playing with a full deck. I had a revelation one day when dealing with a nice person but who was just not getting the picture- "Oh. He's just not very smart."

They are well-meaning and are all excited, so I cut them a break, but some of these questions - yikes. I send them to Airbnb, they will educate them fast enough. The only ones I mind are the occasional 'convince me before I book' types of inquiries, those I completely ignore.

Sarah , exactly .... it took me a long time to realize this too 😄 😄

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Fred13  I like it when I get "So, it is really only for one person?" 

My listing heading says "For Solo Traveler". And states there is one single bed.

So you think the words 'solo' and 'one single bed' should suffice to get the message across. You really setting the bar very high there sister @Sarah977. 😄

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13 @Sarah977

I don't know about that! I spent the best part of my first years relationship with Ade in a single bed.....didn't seem to bad to me,....from memory!!

Cheers......Rob

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I know that feeling only to well Sarah, as you know the story about the guest I had that was a "couple" who paid for a single when it clearly says 1 person. Some will try anything for cheap lodgings & still complain!

@Sarah977

OMG!! I totally get you 🙂 

I had a recent inquiry saying 'We are 2 adults with 1 baby (I think maybe 2 or 3 yrs old?). We like your listing but think it is too expensive. Would you give us a discount?"

I told them my room is single occupany - as stated in my title and listing description. Only a single bed. So I can only host 1 adult guest at a time. No more. 

Sheesh~

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Fred13  "If you show up with more people than yourself, my dog might be willing to share her mat" ?

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Fred13  Love the list of questions from potential guests.    Your island is beautiful. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You need another island to cope with the demand 🙂

@Pete28 has something there, @Fred13. One island just for "yikes" questioners, with a special hut for the "convince me" bunch. We might all chip in on that.

@Lawrene0   I was thinking something similar the other day- a whole new category for Airbnb. "The Rejected Collection- Matching Up Nightmare Guests with Horrible Hosts". All the folks who leave the place a pigsty could be shown only listings where it wouldn't matter because no one ever cleans the place anyway.