You really have to have a sense of humor in this business...

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You really have to have a sense of humor in this business...

I just got featured in a few publications and got the usual millions of hits, but the questions that followed were amusing from the hundreds of direct  inquiries (to my web site) that followed the articles. Two didn't mention Airbnb, the great majority do associate Bird Island with Airbnb.

1. For a 3-day stay I should pay for only 2 nights but get to stay 3 full days

2. Doesn't from the 12th-16th constitudes only 3 days? 

3. How many people can I bring to keep the first-2-person base price the same? 

4. What is the maximum amount of people the place holds, we are 11 people but like to know if we can bring more! (6 person maximum)

5. Can you hold X dates till I get paid?

6. So do I really have to send a 50% deposit now? Why?

7. Can I pay in monthly installments?

8. Why should my deposit not be fully defundable if I cancel even on the eve of my arrival?

9. Please book me for dates X (never bothering to look at the calendar).

10. I am 'considering' staying in your place if you take care of all my transportation to it. (Don't take too long)

11. Why can't I book for only 1 day (4-day minimum), because that is all I can afford.

Well that was 'fun'; 95% were like these, serious. Most were innocent enough, but most were clueless how STR works. I removed my reservation form in my web site and temporarily replaced it with a link to Airbnb till the scary avalanche subsides. At least with Airbnb they will have to verify themselves, will have to make an account if able to read somewhat, will have the math done for them and will have to pay up front. 

Trust me folks, it is a frightening world out there! I think Airbnb has the patience of a saint.

111 Replies 111
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Oh, my @Fred13,  WTHeck??? Were you featured in a tabloid????

Hey! Don't you think AirBnB ought to really consider #7?  MONTHLY INSTALLMENTS!

Wow, the 'general public' can be a scary thing, eh?

I would have thought that your nightly rate + minimum stay would filter some of the idiots, but obviously not.

I wonder, does the Ritz? the Savoy? (etc.) do they get silly inquiries like this?  (Makes me wonder, actually...that could be a very interesting set of interviews if I were up for doing an article--not now...)

Thanks for sharing the insanity.  Didn't honestly think that you'd catch this kind of crazy.

Best,

Kim

@Kimberly54  just google : "stupid , dumb, ridiculous , hotel , reviews, complaints " and laugh 😄  😄

@Branka-and-Silvia0, thanks for sending, abd no, I'm not going to google that... I get enough of it here, though @Fred13's post did get my attention.

I KNOW that there is a world of people out there who have been abducted by aliens and have microchips in their heads... whatever.  I really try to filter for people I WANT and those who DO NOT PASS=END OF STORY.  Don't even care about ratings.  Will never be a SuperHost and can't qualify for PLUS because I don't have a TV. (Everyone can stream off of wireless... what's the big deal?)  How about a BOOK? 

Gotta pick your players.

When I first listed, one SuperHost told me I was way overpriced.  An editor/friend encouraged me to modify my description in order to attract more people.  NO, and NO. 

Quality, not quantity. 

Filters.  This is what surprised me about @Fred13's experience.

Whatever.  He's not going to get bossed around anymore than I am.   None of us can tolerate this kind of stuff.  Blow them off, don't let them in if they're out of line, or GET RID OF THEM.

Really though... what do you think about monthly payments? ;-))))))))

Laugh and be STRONG!

Kim
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kimberly54   Google " Actual complaints received by Thomas Cook travel agency". There's some doozies there. "The beach was too sandy", " They shouldn't allow topless sunbathing (the guests were on the French Riviera)- my husband was distracted, when all he wanted to do was relax"

@Sarah977, and @Fred13, oh yes!  Sandy beaches can be very sandy indeed.  I would complain, for sure.  Probably sticks to your feet, especially if you've gotten them wet.  Equally annoying.  And it gets all over your towels and blankets and might even get into the bed if you don't 'hose-off' first. 

Oh, and is the water salty?  Is there salt residue on your skin?  Do you need extra showers and moisturizer to combat that terrible situation?  

Intolerable, don't you agree??? ;-))

As to the topless-issue, well... it can also be distracting, which can also be disruptive for a quiet vacation with the wife.  Worse than sand in the sheets, eh?

😉

Kim

Oh too funny on topless beach. Bet if those two stayed in an Airbnb, she would have given them a *3 for location, he would have given them a 5*+++.

@Fred13The topless ones are just trying to get extra vitamin-D, right? 

Totally innocent.

Then... there's location, location, location.

Tough call.

I can only smile. 

*)

Kim

@Fred13  We were in out in our boat and some topless young girls were walking around on another boat in the water. We watched some old guy fishing get smashed by another boat when the another guy lost his focus steering his boat as he kept staring at the young girls. Both boats were trashed luckly no one was hurt. We helped fish the old guy out while another group went for the other guy and his passenger that got tossed into Lake Michigan. The Coast Guard boat actually showed up really quickly to my surprise and took our old guy onto their boat along with the other 2. Made for interesting talk at dinner that night with the in-laws and my then 15 year old son was also staring, but he was not steering the boat thank heaven lol... 

OMG. Ok @Letti0, it is nice the old guy is ok;  but the topless girls, did they help with the rescue, which they caused? 😄

@Fred13, breasts can potentially be utilized as flotation devices!

I'm quite sure that's all the other guys were thinking.

*)

Kim

@Fred13  Absolutely not, but the Coast Guard rescuer we talk to said they were looking for them and the boat owner was going to get a huge fine and be held liabile for the damage. 

Coast Guard = Party poopers!  I always say to my guests 'Trust you understand that Bird Island is a 'No Tan Line Zone', oh yeah they get it. Many times as I am leaving, I could see that the lady (or ladies) is already exposing some exceptional 'floating devices'. It is a wonder I haven't crashed into the reef yet!

LMAO , I am sure if my 15 year old son had been steering the boat we would have crashed also into a dock, reef, rockbed forgetting the sonar warnings being given or another boat. ;D

@Letti0, the Coast Guard rescuer had OBVIOUSLY not observed the flotation devices.

Very important equipment, on any beach.

*)

Kim

@Kimberly54  My husband has been cheating on me for a while I threw his butt out and his 30 year old girlfriend (I just turned 60) would float for a while with her DD or EE breasts that are bought and paid for. One of my friends wants to use a safety pin to give her a slow leak next time they show up together at her place lol...