You really have to have a sense of humor in this business...

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You really have to have a sense of humor in this business...

I just got featured in a few publications and got the usual millions of hits, but the questions that followed were amusing from the hundreds of direct  inquiries (to my web site) that followed the articles. Two didn't mention Airbnb, the great majority do associate Bird Island with Airbnb.

1. For a 3-day stay I should pay for only 2 nights but get to stay 3 full days

2. Doesn't from the 12th-16th constitudes only 3 days? 

3. How many people can I bring to keep the first-2-person base price the same? 

4. What is the maximum amount of people the place holds, we are 11 people but like to know if we can bring more! (6 person maximum)

5. Can you hold X dates till I get paid?

6. So do I really have to send a 50% deposit now? Why?

7. Can I pay in monthly installments?

8. Why should my deposit not be fully defundable if I cancel even on the eve of my arrival?

9. Please book me for dates X (never bothering to look at the calendar).

10. I am 'considering' staying in your place if you take care of all my transportation to it. (Don't take too long)

11. Why can't I book for only 1 day (4-day minimum), because that is all I can afford.

Well that was 'fun'; 95% were like these, serious. Most were innocent enough, but most were clueless how STR works. I removed my reservation form in my web site and temporarily replaced it with a link to Airbnb till the scary avalanche subsides. At least with Airbnb they will have to verify themselves, will have to make an account if able to read somewhat, will have the math done for them and will have to pay up front. 

Trust me folks, it is a frightening world out there! I think Airbnb has the patience of a saint.

111 Replies 111

Ah the 'experts'; there is a local mechanic here who is notorious of ending up with a lot of 'extra parts' when he 'fixes' anything, which of course do not run after he touches it.

@Sarah977, my mom (Arizona) rigged up something just like this.

What I don't understand is why you would hang clothes OUTSIDE for birds to poop on/play with/destroy, when you could have a perfectly good automatic dryer?  Push a couple of buttons and it's DONE! 

Wow, if I hung my laundry outside, my chickens would have a total 'field-day' with it! 

I would have Holy Clothes, for sure!

As you say, 'cultural.' 

*)

Kim

@Sarah977, to be clear, "Field Day" means SoooOOOooo much fun/great party.

My chickies would  be break-dancing/moon-walking LOVN' IT if I would hang my laundry outside, and they would cry if they knew it was possible and I was holding out--

the AUTOMATIC DRYER.

Best **BLEEP** always!

(this whole non-thread is too funny for words)

Kim

@Kimberly54   I've been hanging my laundry outside to dry for 40 years and never once found bird poop or anything else on them. Nor have I ever had a dryer. Stuff happens to last much longer if you don't use a dryer. All that fuzz in the lint trap? That's your clothes. I love the fresh smell of laundry hung out to dry in the fresh air and sunshine.

@Sarah977  I had a bird poop on my head and shoulder recently ruining my top walking my dog in my yard. Purple poop mind you from the mulberry trees on my property. I could just imagine what my sheets and towels would look like just based on what my cars look like that are parked outside. Nope no clothline here lol...

@Sarah977, I envy you your birds!

I cannot imagine this, even if I close my eyes... No, the chickies would destroy clothes with such happiness/innocent delight, and the doves would poop.  The world is their toy. 

I have an automatic dryer. 

*)

Kim

@Sarah977, @Fred13, and all... this finger/hand waggy thing is so weird and so very cultural--if you don't know the rules it's completely confusing. 

The Japanese have a totally different system!

All of them sort of look like COME HERE/GO AWAY, but the gestures are back-asswards it's impossible to tell which way to go!  (hehehe... let's see if I get **nipped** on that one!)  

Best,

Kim