Younger Guests discovering Staycations. Surprises all round.

Answered!

Younger Guests discovering Staycations. Surprises all round.

We re-opened our modest spare room / 1.5 bathrooms listing last month. 

We have had younger guests who have never had a holiday in their own country before.  They are hooked! 

Maybe Covid has been a bit of a reset. 

We could all cash in on this, one way or another. 🤔

2020 has been a beast of a year to get through so far, particularly for those in the hosting business as a profession, or those of us  who host  just  to help make ends meet, but suddenly a new market seems to have opened up with young people who can't do with the hassle of foreign travel right now, and are discovering their own country.

We are a funny age,  and it's beginning to dawn on us that all the 5^ reviews are all coming from youngsters who get looked after, but at a distance, like their mum and dad would approve of.  It's very rewarding actually.   

Easiest and least demanding guests we have. Give us the best reviews, a pleasure to have around, brighten up your day,  and remind you that you too were young once,  and appreciate the smallest things.

The world is in pretty good hands, I think.

1 Best Answer
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Kevin1322thanks for this lovely positive post. I too love my younger guests - they get a bad rap in this forum sometimes but are my favourite guests by far. On the whole, they are super respectful, aware and undemanding, and they really do give me hope for the future of this planet.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

What a lovely post, @Kevin1322.  

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Kevin1322  that's fabulous to read.

Younger ones who had intended to travel to Europe & the UK for 6 months are also doing the same here in New Zealand.

Some of them are saving their money for when our borders reopen & planes are back flying as people have woken up to the #NoFly brigade at Universities across the world who have had a role to play in countries been locked down.

A key player Covid19 "Advisor" calling the shots here sadly is a #NoFlying my way or the highway physicist.

Alas election time is looming & Parliament is back in part where people are been questioned by opposition parties to hold them to account.

Let's all hope this "Reset" ends soon as the NZ economy is munted & can't survive without International tourists & people want to see loved ones before they die who are living in different parts of the world.

I prefer, travel as far as possible whilst young, fit and able as one doesn't know what may happen in life that may curtail that.

There's a saying "Don't leave home until you see your country".

The great thing with young  one's seeing their own country is learning how fortunate they are to be living where they are.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kevin1322 

I agree with you RE younger guests. I don't accept under 18s at my listing, but have hosted loads of people between 19 and 21. I have generally found this age group delightful to host and, as you say, really appreciative and undemanding.

I don't think they see me at all like a parent, more like the 'cool' aunt who takes care of you but doesn't scold you and whom you can talk to about anything. I'm still in touch with some of them long after their stay and it's lovely actually how much common ground we find despite the fact that I am old enough to be their mum.

I host long-term guests and get my fair share of students, interns or people just starting out in their careers. Lately, I haven't hosted any youngsters though. I haven't hosted much at all, to be honest, but the guests I've had are in their 30s and 40s because they are not travellers, but local professionals whose house hunting plans have been a bit scuppered by COVID-19.

I am sure you are right though that there are opportunities for short-term hosts in catering to local travellers that may not have considered a staycation before.

everyone needs a cool aunt 👍

It's a two way thing.  

You can't be cool until someone thinks you are cool.

They are the rules, they are. 🤣

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Kevin1322thanks for this lovely positive post. I too love my younger guests - they get a bad rap in this forum sometimes but are my favourite guests by far. On the whole, they are super respectful, aware and undemanding, and they really do give me hope for the future of this planet.

Yea. They are OK aren't they. 

They are keeping us young.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

So glad to hear you're seeing this trend for great younger guests @Kevin1322 - it's really great that they are getting away and exploring the countryside a little closer to home. Glowing reviews too! 🌟

All these 'staycations' are giving me a whole new bucket list of places to visit within the UK... 📃🖊

I don't know what it is, but they just chill out, make themselves at home and be themselves.

It's surprising the values that different generations share. 

Make a space where younger people feel safe to be themselves without being judged,  engage with them as adults/equals, look after them on the quiet. 

I think we all gain from it as a society.

Back in the day when Mrs P and I first married we hosted international exchange students, it was good for our kids. 

The new generation get a bad rap because of a minority.

Give the youngsters a chance is what I say. 

They are mostly on the same side as we are.