Your check-in guide – what are your tips?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your check-in guide – what are your tips?

check-in.jpg

Hello everyone,

We’re looking for tips regarding check-in guides you send to your guests in advance of their stay. As you know, there can be quite a few things you need to mention to your guest before they arrive, such as guidance on how to find your home, and how they can enter your home.

What are your top tips on what to include in a check-in guide? Are there specific pieces of information you like to highlight to your guests? Perhaps you provide photos and if so, what would you say is important to capture?

We'd love to hear your input for an upcoming article. Thank you!

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

37 Replies 37

Oh. I am well aware of the APP.  Our guests get everything that I have written on there AND upon booking I send them all the information again. 

Some people just do not read. Christmas Day I noticed people down the road unloading suitcases at a home where I knew the people were not home. My niece walked over and had to tell them that they were at the wrong address. I pointed them to our home. That house was blue and ours is beige. 

I mean really. 

Jill2
Level 8
Franklin, TN

@Lizzie. I use the checkin guide feature as well as sending message with details.  One thing i have noticed is if guest books few months ahead of time i make sure to only senf the checkin guide feature a few days before hand because if i send it before that it can get lost or forgotten if other messages come after it.  It doesn't have codes obviously because they change very often.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@LizzieHeya - yes we have the app all loaded up with a check-in guide and our guests have used it, although we still send check-in information via a message in advance also.  I find guests need information in multiple different ways.

John2273
Level 3
Fayetteville, NC

I thought of one more tip related to the Guide feature...If you use other social networking sites (such as Airbnb, Google Reviews, Trip Advisor, etc.) you can cut & paste your review into your Airbnb guide or vice-versa.  This will allow you to help your Airbnb guests by providing recommendations AND help to promote local businesses to a wider audience.  I think that finding great local spots for dinning, sight seeing, coffee, etc. is an important part of being a good Airbnb host.  In addition, supporting these local businesses with reviews helps to show that the value of Airbnb goes beyond just having a place to stay and providing the host with some income.  Airbnb hosts are members of their local business community and by making reviews and recommendations, they help their own cities and towns to prosper.

Spot on @John0

I've also had local merchants ask for my card so they can recommend me in return.

To me that 'win-win' synergy is large part of what Community is about : )

Sonya55
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

I keep  a saved word document which I insert new guests name. It has guest check in info,  along with pertinent info about my condo. I leave a printed copy in the unit, plus I send a photo of the paper to my soon to arrive guest in the messaging app.  Most of the info is already available for guest to read on the site, but I figure it might need to be repeated. 

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Everyone

I make sure each guest gets a presentation for every "type" of memory aptitude/learning ; visual, auditory, kinesthetic...plus everything is offered in print 3 times in 3 places. I still get messages asking what's already been shared about 50% of the time lol...but hey...people are here to relax, so I'm glad they do.

I've had many folks tell me the app hiccoughs here along the coast where receptions is spotty, so I send everything, including directions and check-in information within the messaging function of the platform.  It's also best practice if there's an issue to heve everything documented there.

I worked in locations in the filming industry for years, so I'm accustomed to providing detailed maps and directions to all manner of folks from tempermental directors to logistics experts to 'valley girl' extras and technogeeks lol.  I know my right from my left, where true North is, what mile markers and road signs are, pay attention to sunrise and set times, check weather conditions, and I research construction delays and re-routes based on where they're coming from.

I recommend they print the message with directions and check-in info in case of bad reception, dead battery, etc and ask them to reply with a general ETA for a quick welcome orientation upon arrival, during which I give them a tour, show and tell them how everything works, point out the house manual, house rules, emergency information, food and activities compendiums I created, the brief check-out list posted by the door., and the note indicating how they can reach me anytime on the wall (repeated from the message with the directions, bu the entry, and in the on site manuals).

My focus in on the warm welcome to put everyone at ease, and providing excellent preparation and Service during thier stay within thier comfort level of interaction. By asking for that ETA, I know they got the directions, read far enough to find that request and directions, and they know I'll be here when they arrive and throughout thier stay. This also confirms there's no wiggle room for extra guests, unannounced pets, land sharks, dinosaurs, alien landing ships, etc., lol...

As long as they read and follow my suggestions and directions (NOT Google's, as I specifically state...3 times) everything's been seamless, but about 30% still use Google ,and end up in someone else's driveway 1/4 mile away, only to realize they had the correct information all along...and arrive late looking sheepish.

It's been good for some laughs, but it's also resulted in a handful of unfair "location" category dings (oh the irony!!!).  There's no Uber or Lyft out here, so the only other option is to is be like @Robin0, meet everyone in town, and have them follow me for the last couple of miles, which, based on the accuracy of most ETA's, and the placement of local prewpubs and fresh seafood...that isn't even remotely practical lol...

So, providing the info in more than one form helps, and pre-thinking everything from the timid guest's point of view is also recommended, just to cover all the bases.

Nina210
Level 2
New York, NY

@Lizzie I use pre defined check in guide located within the key icon in the messaging app.  I painstakingly updated the check in guide  ( two months ago) and only just now realized there were some errors, I would like to streamline the verbage, but it seems the functionality to edit both on the app and the website is GONE.  This check in guide in so valuable for thoese who rely on self check in, althought most guests do not see the insructions with their itinary email ( i know it exists as a travler I have recived this very email for other hosts airbna.  Prior to the avaiblitlty of this guide I did a video walkthough and hosted the link on you tube and I would share that.