Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your home: plans for 2018!

Your home.png

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year to those of you who I haven't spoken to so far. 🙂

One of my favourite discussions here in the Community Center is a topic created by @Huma0 which is all about past renovation projects and sharing Before and After photos. I know many of you have commented in this, so I am sure it is a favourite among many of us. 

With this in mind and because it is the start of a new year, I wanted to ask you if you have any plans for your home in 2018?

For me, I want to add more life to my walls, by creating and searching for nice photos and art works to hang. I plan to make some nice photo collages of times with my family and friends, but also print some photos of places I have visited (usually photos of the sea, I have a surprising amount of seascapes). Plus, I have a couple of old maps showing local landmarks, shipwreckss etc. which I want to frame. 

What about you? Perhaps you just want to give a room or two a lick of paint, perhaps you plan to add some new furniture to your living room or perhaps you are planning on knocking some walls down! It would be great to hear what you are planning to do this year.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

66 Replies 66
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

I have to replace the bed - my biggest shame, and of course some fresh paint on the wall in the place the old one is now. Maybe I will reshuffle the furniture. And upgrade of my second room - remove my things, refurnish it. Nothing original. Basics for hosting. 😉

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds like some good plans @Marzena4 and I am sure it will make a large different to your listing. 

Are you planning on keeping the same wall colour as before or going for something new? 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie The first listing - same colours (everything is toned there to beige and brown. The second - maybe change to make it Green Room. 😉

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oo this sounds very nice @Marzena4. I like the idea of a green room, I instantly think of a peaceful space to relax in.

How do you pick your colour shades, will you test out a few on the wall beforehand or are you a go to the shop, pick you tin of paint and away you go? 🙂

--------------------

I guess my memory for images is pretty good, so keeping in mind what the rest of the room is like, all I need to do is to contemplate the samples in the shops, imagine it and there you go, @Lizzie. 😉 Not that complicated.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Lizzie Painting my properties every 6 months is a much here because of the salted air from the ocean but this year i am planning to equip my listings with 2 kayaks so that my guests can enjoy kayaking on the beautiful blue lagoon.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0, I think this is an amazing idea. It is like you have read my mind, I absolutely love kayaking. I bet it is a lovely place to paddle. Do you get lots of nice sealife around the lagoon?

--------------------

@Lizzie I am very glad to hear that you like kayaking too! There is nothing better than starting the morning by kayaking on the beautiful blue lagoon of Trou aux biches. The lagoon is full of marine life sea turtles,plenty of tropical colorful fish and beautiful corals. The reefs acts like a natural wall preventing big waves from entering the lagoon so i decided to take thie initative to invest in the kayaks this year. I invite you and your family to come to Trou aux biches if you want to have a great time on the tropical paradise island.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oo this sounds wonderful @Oomesh Kumarsingh .Alas, I don't think I will have the opportunity to visit this year, but this sounds like a dream holiday! 🙂 

When will you be starting to paint your properties? I imagine it is quite a big job, do you always paint them the same colour?

--------------------

@Lizzie No worries just remember that you are always the most welcome here. 

Concerning painting my apartments I am planning to do during the off season which normally starts around June and July. I always pay a contractor here who has been doing a great job painting my apartments. The color will be the same as I need to respect the theme of the complex. Thanks and have a nice evening! 

It may be possible for you to write this expense off on your taxes if it pertains to your rental business. I just invested about $1,000 into my guest bedroom and private bathroom.  I hope I can write this expense off on my taxes this spring since I am renting it now.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Lizzie

Thank you for the mention!

Funny you should mention artwork. I've also recently been thinking about putting more of it up. I have lots of mirrors in my house. I love them not just for their decorative value, but also for the way they give an illusion of more space and light. However, I really don't have much artwork on the walls, except for a few framed photos and prints dotted here and there.

The reason for this is that I put it off until I have repainted. Yes, I am ALWAYS painting some part of my house. You start at the top but, by the time you get to the bottom, the top rooms need repainting! Now I'm thinking, just put the artwork up and deal with it when you get around to repainting that bit...

I would like to go a bit bold and find some really large statement pieces to put up. I don't have the budget to buy 'proper' artworks, but I'm sure with a bit of imagination, I could find stuff that works.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

As for other plans for the house this year, there are too many to list!

I spent a fortune in 2017 having to completely replace a roof terrace and have bathrooms ripped out and reconstructed from scratch. These were all areas that I had already spent a lot of money on, but I had used BAD tradespeople and they did everything wrong. Frustrating, but at least it's done.

So, I'm going to have to get creative and do all my improvements on a tight budget and that means learning a few new skills, but hey, that's no bad thing.

As mentioned before, there is always painting to do (of furniture as well as walls) but I am also planning on going wallpaper crazy. I LOVE statement wallpapers and because of the set designing I do as part of my job, I have a stack of lovely ones sitting around.

My top landing, which is a 'blah, blah' shade of pale putty, is going to become a decadent chinoiserie-inspired space in a very bold hue. Something like this:

ashley-whittaker-chinoiserie-entryway.jpg

And that's just for starters!

@Huma0 Your place looks superb!!! I really like the chinese touch and i wish you get a lot of guests after all work done. Good luck!!!