Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your home: plans for 2018!

Your home.png

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year to those of you who I haven't spoken to so far. 🙂

One of my favourite discussions here in the Community Center is a topic created by @Huma0 which is all about past renovation projects and sharing Before and After photos. I know many of you have commented in this, so I am sure it is a favourite among many of us. 

With this in mind and because it is the start of a new year, I wanted to ask you if you have any plans for your home in 2018?

For me, I want to add more life to my walls, by creating and searching for nice photos and art works to hang. I plan to make some nice photo collages of times with my family and friends, but also print some photos of places I have visited (usually photos of the sea, I have a surprising amount of seascapes). Plus, I have a couple of old maps showing local landmarks, shipwreckss etc. which I want to frame. 

What about you? Perhaps you just want to give a room or two a lick of paint, perhaps you plan to add some new furniture to your living room or perhaps you are planning on knocking some walls down! It would be great to hear what you are planning to do this year.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

66 Replies 66
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, @Mark26 this is so interesting. I didn't know you have converted your garage and you also have your own recording studio. That sounds really impressive. I presume you are a musician or enjoy music? 

How long did it take you to convert? 

@Valerie192, this sounds like an exciting idea. It sounds like you and Mark should talk more about this, as he has finished his project. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

That's awesome @Mark26!!! I would love to see some current pics if you wouldn't mind sharing? I am not handy at all so I will be bringing a few contractors out for quotes. Currently the garage is a single car detached and has standard drywall (not sure about insulation) that I am guessing will have to be removed and replaced with some kind of sound deadening insulation you mention. 

First contractor comes out today!! I just need to wrap my head around the rough estimate I need to save for and hope my work bonus this year can cover it. 🙂

Also what do you do for climate control? I don't even have A/C/Central heat in my house and I do worry about my poor babies (i.e. guitars) getting wilted out in the garage.

Sometimes I forget that not everyone is "Hands On" when it comes to maintenance, let alone construction.  If you're hiring contractors, you need to screen them, and find someone who understands the construction techniques that are unique to sound isolation.  I have a neighbor who built a large room addition specifically to serve as a recording studio and rehearsal space, and his greatest obstacle was getting his highly skilled and experienced contractor to build to recording studio specifications, and not living room/game room standards.  (I was already well into constructing my own when I learned of his project and understood exactly what he was up against. Like me, he had done his research. He knew what he wanted and knew what needed to be done, but had a difficult time getting contractors to understand how he wanted his room built, and why)

I think the best resource for you is Rod Gervais' book https://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-Studio-Build-Like/dp/143545717X   You can probably find it at your local library.  It's the kind of thing that will cause your eyes to glaze over with its highly technical detail, but you'll find answers to questions you didn't even know you had.  And... it can help you with understanding all the ventilation and air conditioning options you have that will work with your particular situation.

There are many on-line resources to help you understand what you'll need to design your space.  (There are lots of worthless youTube videos that will waste your time, and feed you misinformation. And others that are invaluable in helping you make decisions)  Read Rod's book first. Then you'll be better armed to understand what advice to pay attention to, and what video's (Or on line discussions) to ignore.  You can follow threads on GearSlutz https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/  and from there you will find additional resources that can help with your build.

The space I started in had only three sheets of drywall installed, covering older fiberglass insulation that was industry standard when installed between the living room wall of an apartment, and the garage.  It was a "no-brainer" to remove those few sheets of drywall, and insulation at the beginning of my project. I used 120 sheets of 3/4" drywall in my project, and like you, I did it in a single car garage.  There's a lot more than drywall that went into my project. I "finished" the existing space, and then framed an entire room inside that room, and "Finished" it.  (Think of a Box, inside a Box, with a 1/2" airspace all the way around).

You might want to consider consulting with George Whittam.  He's in your area, and has designed studios for professionals all over the world.  https://about.me/george_whittam  He's got weekly webcasts specific to the voiceover recording process itself, and is an invaluable resource in building new studios and tuning existing spaces.

If you've got the space, and you've got the funds, I'd build a nice big roomy studio right there in your garage.  It will let you play by yourself or with friends without disturbing your neighbors or your guests.  And, after you've been hosting for a number of years you'll appreciate that it doubles as a private sanctuary, allowing you to escape from your guests into a world of your own, where no one can disturb you.

Thanks @Mark26 for all the advice and suggestions!! 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

I do things on impulse, drives Shirley potty, got up new years day and gutted the cottage bathroom and demolished the chimney breast in the lounge, luckily we don't open for guests until the 1st March so plenty of time to make it pretty again.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe @Jeff158, this is amazing! Well, nothing says happy new year like demolishing a chimney breast! 🙂

How is you bathroom and lounge coming on?

--------------------

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Besides the usual maintenace, a guest moved their dates to next year, so grabbing the 5 days opened to build a dock, long enough to reach the edge of the 'Blue Hole' and put a palapa there; so then can also pick up the guests with the big boat during their stay, and take them on a cruise to see the other islands during their stay.  A surprise thing.

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Five days, to build a dock and palapa.  Ahhhh Belize.... Where a man and a hammer can do anything they want.

What paperwork will I need?

A signed acceptance of your proposal
Proof of ownership (copy of your deed)
County permit application (signed and notarized) Application for Building Permit or DEP application page 5 signed
Notice of commencement (signed and notarized)Notice of Commencement
Clear Survey to scale. This should include all structures, property line, shoreline, and MHW line. If you do not have a current survey we can order one for you, this will add additional time to the permitting process and is done at an additional cost.

What is the “Permit Process”?

Once paperwork is recieved in our office, plan drawings are ordered and engineered including retention calculations (if applicable). Seagrass survey and water depth varification is ordered (if applicable). Permit applications are prepared and submitted and NOC’s are filed.City and County permit processing time takes on average 7-10 days depending on the complexity of your project. DEP/ACOE and St John’s average 3 months from start to finish however this can vary depending on the season (seagrass season is from April – Aug) and location and complexity of your project. This time frame could be as short as one month or as long as one year we can NOT garentee a permitting time frame with the state and Federal government.

My goodness Mark!

Seven years ago, I helped a friend with a small project ($250k) on his property, in the state of WA; 3 years later it totalled $552k with the added 'fees', after a 'nightmare' of paper work and abuse. Ok, that is not going to work for me.

So I came to Belize and build an entire mini-storage complex (54 units) in 11 months, and I never saw a single goverment official; however, my lady was told about 90 days from start (I was visiting my Mom in the U.S), that she needs to get 'some' kind of permit; she tore the paper up and kept directing the workers. She told me about it 3 years later when I sold the place, when she happened to remember it.

Six (6) months ago some goverment officials stopped by the island, and asked: 'What is this place?'. It only been in existence for 5 years. They spend maybe a minute and after guzzling down the  lemonade the guests gave them, they said "Tell who owns it they have a nice place", and left.

Nothing lasts forever of course, but one definition of luck I suppose is - to be at the right place at the right time.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It is an incredible story @Fred13.

I think even if I had moved to Belize 5 years ago, I am 99% sure, I would not have built my own island by now. 🙂  I just wouldn't know where to begin. You had the spirit, the amazing drive, creativity and skill to pursue (after several times of rebuilding) something that your wanted to achieve and you are rewarded with having a wonderful place now. 

I'm a very intrigued to hear what you next project will be...any plans for when you have finished or do you think you will take a break? 

--------------------

A beach on island and Bird Sanctuary is left. That's it. Government wants me to do another, not me, it is a young man's game. I am going boating and want to see every islands (432) of Belize. 🙂

Pano0
Level 2
Athens, GR

Hey there @Lizzie and happy new year from Athens, Greece as well.

What I would like to do this year, taking into consideration also some of my guests feedback, is to spend some time and money redesigning and remaking the bathrooms of my Acropolis house. Since it is a neoclassical property  (it's been there from the 20's) I will need to get a special permit from the Ministry of Culture, but it is certainly worth it.

It has been a great year 2017 and 2018 already looks promising. Really looking forward to fixing a few minor things here and there as well.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds like a good plan @Pano0 and it is great to hear your are reacting to feedback your guests have given you. 🙂

It is interesting to hear you need to get a special permit, we have this here in the UK for listed buildings (so buildings of significance). What changes are you making to your bathrooms? 

--------------------

Hi @Lizzie! Thanks for the comment. Yea I appreciate kind feedback, its actual aim is to make us provide better accomodation and how our guests see our efforts in that aspect is really important. I will try to prepare the paperwork over the coming months (here as well, it has to be a building of significance and our is one of those as it is very close to the Acropolis of Athens) and then completely remodel the main bathroom to meet modern standards. Shower with glass doors would be my choice, in earth colors so that it doesn't mess up with the rest of the house's style components.

Hi @Lizzie and good morning!

Thank you for your message and I 'm sorry for replying kinda late. Things have been quite hectic here in Athens, Greece. As it seems that I'm having trouble sending you a PM I'll be posting my reply here.

It is always a great pleasure being part of a community, especially  in one that reflects your own ideas and beliefs..and Airbnb seems to be doing exactly that. 

Of course you have my permission to use my reply or mention me in any way.

Wishes for a great day ahead,

Panos