Your tips for hosting older guests

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Your tips for hosting older guests

502711_GettyImages-948663996ForYou.jpg

Image added by Community Manager

I have never gotten a five star review from "young at heart". The ones I get are very critical, stuck in their ways and think anything and everything is my fault. Unfortunately, as I get more good reviews, they are more and more likely to book with me and expect I do not know what. Typical guest from yesterday: inspected everything in my 1890s build home- every outlet- and sent me a long list of issues. This listing actually has all five star reviews. So clearly everyone else felt this was a fully functioning accommodation. Everything was dramatic. She found a cap stuck deep down a sink pipe and now there will be a flood, she just knows it. The older guests are never happy with my pillows, furniture set up, comfort of couch etc because it is not their home. Unlike younger guests, they are spending a lot of time at the house so more likely to notice every tiny fault. I have come to straighten a dishwasher rack for my older guests. Brought a light bulb and was scolded for it taking me four hours. Younger crowd would have probably not even noticed it in the first place and if they did, would not have wanted to be bothered by me coming in to change. Also, most end up demanding a discount for their struggles.  I tremble when I see a reservation from a "mature" group. What are your tips for preparing for older guests and best style of communication?

32 Replies 32
Ana-Luisa4
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

Oh wow, I actually find the younger crowd less respectful that the older folks.  Older people are considerate and appreciative.  They actually ask if they can use some of the facilities.  The younger crowd seems to have reviewed us more harshly and don’t care coming into the place by 1:30 am!

I have found our younger guests (20-35) to be brilliant, and the people in my own age group *cough Boomer* really miserable in comparison. 

We have both thoroughly enjoyed the company of the younger guests, and really got on well with them and had fun.  I've just been impressed with how well educated young people are today and how polite they are, and responsible.

Half of our guests last summer have been from Germany or Russia.  This came as a complete surprise to us. We found that we have so much in common with this new generation. I think the world is in good hands.

Danielle513
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I'm having a similar experience with a very sweet but "older" couple, estimating them to be in their mid-70's.  They've sent me long lists (via text) about what's not working, i.e., the front door deadbolt is sticky, the mini fridge door closes just fine but I could re-install and make it perfect, no stove (clearly in my listing), antique armoire skeleton key does not work (it's a 200 year old armoire, it's decorative), no nightlights, etc. etc.   I live in Southern California, a desert climate, and when it rains the wood expands and retracts according to the humidity level.  It's a constant and everything goes back to normal after the rainy season.  They pointed out suggestions for re-arranging everything from my bed placement to the wattage of my light bulbs (brighter please for older eyes)  to installing railings in my shower and on the side of my toilet for balance.  They also wanted to deliver this list of improvements on a Sunday morning at 8 a.m. (my only day to sleep in). I sent them a $50 refund as a token gesture but they refused (which is fine) but now I can't tell if my gesture was offensive.  Overall, I just think they would have been happier in a hotel.  

I do not want to discriminate against older couples, but in the future I will be sure to reach out via message and let them know my guest cottage does not have certain amenities and give them the opportunity cancel within their 48 hour window.