Youth categories need revision (ages 2-12)

Jen-Marie0
Level 5
Ruckersville, VA

Youth categories need revision (ages 2-12)

Hi I would love to see this get revised and revive this conversation with the new host advisory board starting up.

I completely agree that creating a family friendly environment is different for children that are school-aged vs. toddlers.

We have the same type of problems where the age range of 2-12 is too broad. A walking infant to a 4/5 year old will touch everything and push every button and climb every shelf and play with everything. The only way to host a safe environment for a walking infant to a 4/5 year old is to have virtually nothing in your unit or to have things in your unit that you don't mind replacing.

I see value in 3 categories or really just a revision to the infant age range would be wonderful. Infants - 4/5 years old that are crawling/walking need a safe environment without things to break or cause injury.

I am a parent - I know what small children do - and when I am on vacation I don't want to worry about other people's stuff.... so we do need to make a change if we are going to empower hosts @Stephanie.

Too many people abuse the infant category and bring older toddlers to avoid extra fees or guest counts and more importantly these guests put their children at risk by not following the rules stated by the hosts. When I have a loft ladder in my cabin or tiny house it is definitely a liability for a toddler to climb it or sleep in the loft. 

We need to change the categories for safety of guests and to protect our host community. We need to help the lodging industry see that this is important and be the change that is necessary for the future of hosting.

45 Replies 45

Not to mention the little 1 to 2 year-old tykes are adept at sticking their fingers in wall outlets, crawling (falling/tumbling) down stairs; wetting beds; etc, etc, etc.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I am changing my categories (after my 3rd cup of coffee):

Ages 1-12: Home Terrorists. They should pay triple, twice on general principle and the 3rd installment for the host's 'pain & suffering'. Fixed.

@Fred13😄 Agree

although I'm OK with 10+ 😉

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Fred13  One guest asked if her two boys, aged 7 and 8, could come for free.  My best friend was sitting next to me and her only comment was, "Jelly all over the walls."  😄

And the ceilings! (rolls eyes).

And hot tubs filled with urine. This happened once with a guest who stated his family had a hot tub at home and his eight-year-old would be very responsible when using it, and they would supervise (I have a no kids in hot tub policy, guess why). He was an Airbnb host himself with a nice property, so I believed him. Big mistake. Not only was the tub filled with pee, but they had closed the lid before checking out so it could really get brewing. Try changing out a hot tub in 4 hours before the next guest comes AND clean the entire suite and bathroom. Not easy, but we did it. The new guests were very gracious regarding they couldn't use the tub for several hours while it heated up.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

it should be:

First category: fully restrained. This is a child who does not walk or crawl, uses a pacifier (no noise) and wears a diaper. Like a true service animal, must stay by parents side at all time. This category stays for free

Second category: technological novice. Must use assistance to turn technology on. This category will only be around for a few years. Charged as adult, 10% off if has its own protective gear and travel insurance

Third category: technologically advanced, toilet trained. 50% off because can assist parents with smart locks and wifi. 

Fourth category: 12 up- double charge. Higher use of electricity because of staying up, water (longer showers). If place provides snacks or meals- triple charge

@Inna22 fifth category. parents not supervising, don’t care, laissez faire attitude- totally banned.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

May I add to your 4th category @Inna22 ? Internet use.

For those not on Unlimited Internet use - a monster expenditure when hosting teenagers.

(Of course such excessive use of the internet 'socially connecting', is what makes them such idiots about everything else in life, such as basic economics, but that is a subject for another time).

Lee386
Level 4
Cyprus

@Jen-Marie0 The whole "free infant"  drives me crazy........what is free when suppling a cot, bedding (and extra bedding as it gets soiled quicker) along with the high chair which just gives a higher range for food to go up the walls. In my eyes there is nothing free about an infant in the apartment. 

@Lee386 yes free is not free for the host. Guests are abusing the infant/children features and we need to empower hosts to help mitigate this risk - there are major liability issues. We also have run into issues where the "infants" don't count as guests and then the group arrives with 4+ "infants" that are actually adults or older children. The guest count on a listing is not a suggestion but rather a risk management tool as many states and localities have rules about how many people may stay in a short-term rental. Just charging more does not offset the risk of losing your right to host short-term guests.

@Jen-Marie0  a very good point about maximum occupancy regulations. 

I agree. It definitely needs to reinforced. How many is booked is how many is staying. 

@Jen-Marie0 I do not charge for extra guests and allow children so I do not care who they bring and how many. Up to my legally allowed head count. Only once I head someone try to go over that by listing extra people as infants. I do not want loose my license and it is a fire hazard. It was then on my to cancel these people who said they would no longer bring the extra infants so Airbnb refused to cancel without a penalty. Yeah, right. Like they were going to leave the infants behind with a few bottles of milk and some cash if they run out

@Inna22 Maybe they found a kennel that would take the infants  🙂