a guest came back at midnight and his key wouldn't work (he could've knocked but didn't want to dist

a guest came back at midnight and his key wouldn't work (he could've knocked but didn't want to dist

a guest came back at midnight and his key wouldn't work (he could've knocked but didn't want to disturb) so he stayed in a hotel for £65. I've checked the key and it doesn't work, but, as he said himslef,
it did previously which is plain mysterious. The question is ...do I take the hit and pay him the full £65... I'm feeling currently that I may have to.... although I only charge £20 per night 😞

18 Replies 18
Maria801
Level 2
Godalming, United Kingdom

Hi Cat,

I had Guests late arrival at 1am by snow  (normal cut off 10.30pm) - they texted us and we got up for them. They then proceeded to use our power shower and woke up the entire house. However, they gave us a great review and at the end of the day, if you want more Guests - that's what counts. I would give him his money back, but ask for a great review for your generosity. We have used Airbnb ourselves and whatever happens, a kind, friendly and generous response from the Host to genuine problems is very important.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Did your key work Cat?  to my way of thinking this key issue will open a Pandora's box.

I must say it's not the decision I would have made in your Guest position, I would have contacted the Host considering that all my luggage was in your property and I'd want to insure I wasn't scammed.

The whole think sounds fishy to me

It's was his decision to book an Hotel so in my opinion he should pay for it.

I got up at 04:00, 05:00, 06:00 to collect keys when Guest were leaving being disturbed at 23:00 would be an absolute luxury!

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Graham-And-Michelle0
Level 9
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh this brings back memories as a guest in an Italian seaside town, where we could not Access the apartment  , key mysteriously did not work , and there was no reply to our discreet knocking on the door.  Fortunately we had the phone contact of our non English speaking hosts daughter so we called her ( yes it was about mid night )  . Oh dear we were in the wrong building !!! Our lovely host arrived promptly and accompanied us back to his home next door .    They were new to hosting and we were their first guests. They were  Wonderful hosts  who have remained good friends and we still keep in touch.  We hope one day to hosts them ourselves. 

Victoria329
Level 2
Squamish, Canada

I have a Schlage code lock on my door. They are expensive but well worth it. We program it to the guests last four digits of their phone number. We send them the code once their booking is complete. We put it in manually but it is very easy to do. The lock comes with its own ‘ factory code’ ( which you need in order to operate the lock each time). When a guest leaves you take their code out & enter the code for the next guest arriving. The lock only holds 10 codes so you have to make sure that you take each code out as your guest leaves. You can also purchase a Schlage with an operating system where you can change the code, lock it & unlock it from anywhere in the world! I think we might upgrade to that one if we start doing more traveling. Don’t have to worry about your guest loosing the key or making a copy. That would freak me out! NOTE: It does operate on batteries so you have to make sure they get changed about every maybe 6~ 8 months.