a guest want to report my toilet notice sign to board of heath?

Zinnia1
Level 2
Goleta, CA

a guest want to report my toilet notice sign to board of heath?

i had a guest who lived break my rule and had extra person live in, she asked me before and i said yes, i won't charge her for extra money if she could leave me a good review, and she said yes as well. 

i thought we made the deal but they left me a very bed review see below:

TV advertised in posting and even pictured, but when you get in the room, there's a sign on it explaining it doesn't work. Same thing with the fireplace...advertises fireplace, but you are not allowed to use it. One of the main reasons we decided on this room was because of the TV...we can't fall asleep without one on. Also, there is NO HEAT. Now, I run hot all the time...but I was freezing in this room all night. There is a tiny space heater, but didn't help at all. Another thing I would like to mention is you can't flush anything down the toilet...Including toilet paper!! There's a lot of items available for purchase..including disposable underwear and drinks. One last side note-these are the kind of hosts that are always home...they have a super cute baby, but sometimes loud. I did appreciate the waters they provided. Only writing this review so my fellow Airbnb travelers know the negatives in this room...and also hoping hosts fix the issues mentioned above. I travel a lot and depend on reviews to help me pick a place that will suit my needs.

then i feel i was lied by them, and i checked my list again there is no TV said for use, in the picture there is a tv but i never put tv in my listing, and there is a heater inside the room and they said no heat? if not warm they live for five days but didn't tell me about that but bad reviews? so scared me.....

now they didn't give me good review so i would also charge them for extra peoson fee like my listing rule, but now he threathen me cancel the fee request eitherwise he gonna report me with board of health?

in my room i said please don't throw any toilet paper in to the toilet and thank you for understanding. because everytime i repair the toilet will spend $100 bucks over the room fee. like the guest told me i can't stop people throw toilet so i said thank you for understanding, 

that's his message:

I also have the text that you sent and will be turning all info over to Airbnb if you do not move that request for $30. I'm tempted to report you to the board of health. YOU CAN NOT RENT A ROOM AND TELL PEOPLE NOT TO FLUSH THE TOILET.

i just want ask anyone about the notice is that really can be report to board of health? i am so curious, because i thought it is a kind of understanding to respect my house, that's why i understand them to let them live in with extra people and for free, but they gonna report me for this notice i feel really upset and i want to know airbnb has no understanding between guest and host? then why they don't live in a hotel then? if my toilet notice is board of health problem, not allowed then i will shut down my listing, because if my house is not get any respect i don't want to host anymore, thank you for anyone who give opinion.

7 Replies 7
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Zinnia1 why are you not allowing people to flush toilet paper when you live in a new build in an American city? I've only heard of that when the plumbing is super old or a property is on a septic tank or a black water tank. Also, I'd say it's not the norm in North America. I'm not really sure how he'd report you to public health, but I think it's an odd policy that may lead to issues. If nothing else, I would make sure it's in your house rules. 

Likewise with the TV thing: if you show it in the listing pictures, I would assume it's working: I personally wouldnt check the amenities list to verify. That is a bit misleading. He also didn't say there was no heat; he said the heat provided wasn't sufficient. 

Also, FYI, you aren't allowed to bribe someone for a good review (I.e. I won't charge you for an extra person, but you have to give me a good review). If he reports you to Airbnb and that comes up, it could lead to issues. 

thank you so much for advise, i will correct those you point out!!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Zinnia1  Maybe you come from a place where people have a basket next to the toilet for toilet paper. I know a lot of places in Mexico are like that. But there is not a problem flushing toilet paper in an American city. And most people from the US, Canada, or Western Europe would find it digusting and unsanitary to have used toilet paper in a basket.

What you can have is a sign asking guests not to flush anything aside from toilet paper-"No baby wipes, or feminine hygiene products to be flushed- please deposit in waste basket. The baby wipes especially can plug up a toilet.

Do not have anything in your photos which actually doesn't work, like the TV and fireplace, because people will naturally assume that they are there and do work.

And you can't successfully rent out a room in the winter which has no heat other than a small space heater which doesn't warm the room up enough to be comfortable.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

1. It is against AirBNB policy to do something in exchange for a "good review".

2. If something is shown in the photos of the rental space, I would assume it is an amenity available for use.  You should specify in your listing if something is visible in photos that is not available to guests.

3. Not flushing Toilet Paper is rather ridiculous. If your plumbing cannot handle toilet paper, then you should not be renting it out.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

It may help to provide a highly degradable toilet paper, as that used in the RV industry. Thetford comes to mind. In the U.S. the request not to flush toilet paper will undoubtedly come across as odd. And true, if an amenity is show, it is implied it is provided. I won't pay much attention to her threats, they are silly.

Najja1
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

I'm currently having this issue on the other side and as someone who is paying over $500 for a 2 night stay, I EXPECT TO HAVE THE BADIC COMFORT AND HYGIENE OF FLUSHING THE TOILET!! It is greedy and dishonest to rent someone a place that does not have the basic comforts, not to mention its unsanitary and I have strong personal issues w looking at waste. Plus, I have a medical condition and (I'll spare you the rest) but now I'm risking flooding your property doing what I have every right to do!! So to rent and not disclose that until you get my money is mean, dishonest, and not smart on your part

But from what you wrote, I feel that you are dishonest and both you and Air BnB should be reported and not allowed to rent. Why have the TV in the picture? You knew what you were doing. 

From an angry, duped customer who will never use this service again!!

@Najja1  You don't say where you are staying, i.e. what country, but there are many countries where the septic systems are simply not set up to handle toilet paper. This would not be the fault of the host, but is a common thing to all homes in the area. It is important for guests to research how things might work differently if they travel to another country. There are guests who book places in the tropics, then have a major freak-out because they encountered an insect. If they had done a bit of research on where they wanted to travel, instead of letting their expectations be shaped by pretty pictures in magazines, they would have known that the tropics are full of all kinds of insects, they are quite prevalent and nothing a host can do anything about, aside from regular, thorough cleaning and the occasional fumigating. But none of that would stop an ant or spider from walking in the very next day.