a review where the guest just simply didn't read at all

Dan455
Level 2
Denver, CO

a review where the guest just simply didn't read at all

Hello everyone, I really hope to hear from you guys on this one, I am at a total loss as to how to combat a review like this that is just simply false.  I just received a review that accused me of being misleading in my "Listing description, Sleeping arrangements, Missing details", and stated "beware shared bathroom and common area with another guest", and gave me 3 stars.

1. The "Sleeping Arrangements" are EXACTLY what is listed.
"1 Queen Bed in a Private Room".

2. My listing says VERY clearly that its a shared bathroom, literally right at the top of the listing it says:
"Private room in house - 2 guests - 1 bedroom - 1 bed - 1 shared bath"

Further down I have the option checked that states:
"Who will guests share with?
->Other guests
and I even reiterated again that fact to the guest, in the message sent to her two days before booking I stated again "There will be other guests in the house when you are there, just so you know!"

3. When creating the listing, I very specifically checked all the boxes regarding which areas are shared, which included the bathroom, living room and kitchen.

I am very unsure what to do. I followed all the guidelines, filled out the correct information, checked all the appropriate boxes, and went further by stating again very specifically in a message to her that "there will be other guests".

I guess the guest just didn't actually read the listing at all, or really even read the messages I sent, but to be given a 3 star rating because she couldn't be bothered to read the text right in front of her is very discouraging indeed. Now I am being penalized and have my SuperHost status put in jeopardy because she didn't read?

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

9 Replies 9
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I hear you, @Dan455. Just got docked stars both in the categories and overall by a guest who noted privately that the space is small and there are steps. It is a treehouse, so yes, well done spotting all that. Dimensions are given via floorplan in the photos, steps are disclosed in the photos and in "guests must acknowledge." 

It just sometimes happens. 

In your case, the "warning" is public, but that can be good. It might actually get through to someone who doesn't read your description, saving you from that future similar guest. I would not respond to the review. Let it sit there and warn unsavvy travellers. 

Annoying though, isn't it.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Dan455 🙂

I write to all guests (private message) that have giving me less than 5 stars in a review.

I write to them and ask if there is something that wasn't as expected/stated in the listing. Then I tell them about the 5 star rating system and I also link to this article as it tells how important 5 stars is for a host to get.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-reviews-that-causes-hos...

Your guest doesn't have any other reviews and it is probably her first experience as a guest.

The feedback I usually receive from the guest is that they didn't knew that anything than 5 stars is hurtful. I write to them to get info about why they rated me like they did but also to educate so maybe the next host will get better ratings.

Best, Sandra

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Dan455 I'm always a little bit extra nervous when a first time guest has to review. And those guests (like your guest) that feel it is their duty to warn guests about things clearly stated in the listing...They are soooo annoying!! 😞

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dan455 Just read the review - not a biggie - if you wish to reply just say politely that it is made clear in the descrpition that you will be sharing the bathroom with other guests

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I wouldn't reply to this review since you don't typically do so. And, yes, maybe she will clue some other hapless soul to realize that this is a shared space.

Btw, I also flagged her review as dishonest, bc clearly she should have known. But maybe she meant that the other guests bugged her, not so much that the shared aspect was a problem?? You could message and ask her? 

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I consider these clueless reviews to be a gift to you, assuming you didn't get horrible stars as well. Some guests only read the reviews and not the listing. She has reinforced the fact that this is a shared space which might alert some other clueless potential guests before they book.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Dan455, some people are just clueless and unfortunately we just have to put up with them. Just ignore it - other guests will see that it is a shared space.

Natalie633
Level 2
Richmond, KY

I feel you - I recently had a woman book a night only to become irate and tell me I was scamming her because she didn't realize when she booked that she was going to be in a private room in a house and not renting an entire house. This information is the most prevalent. It's on the front page of the listing itself and referenced throughout my posting. I don't understand why it's so difficult for some guests to read even that. 

@Dan455  Mate, I know exactly where you are coming from.

We had an idiot who belonged to a culture that thinks dogs are "unclean" yet still  booked with us  despite dogs being very obvious in the listing, then dinged us very badly indeed (2 stars) on cleanliness purely because we have dogs. 

I would be interested in pointing out to him that our Vet is of the same culture and has no problems whatsoever treating all  of our dogs for almost 30 years very professionally and always with extreme kindness.

Sometimes I wonder if people do read these things, then choose to pretend they haven't with another agenda in mind.  Meanwhile for the rest of us we can just shake our heads and move on. Life is too short.