abroad for 3 mobths

abroad for 3 mobths

I live in an small town near Amsterdam and I am considering renting it  for Dutch people who want to celebrate the new freedom of being able to have ha real holidays. Before I do take this decision however, I have som questiond like

- will there be a good change of renting the place? I think so, because it is near Amsterdam and there are lots of touristical places nearby

- is it custom to let the guests use my stuff? Like the kitchen, over, fridge?

- Should I protect some more vulnerable stuff like computers, televisions etc.?

- is there a really good insurance in case of damage to my house ore the things that are in the house? Of theft?

- can I ask the guests to take just a little bit care of the garden like watering a few minutes each week?

- is a weekly period of saturday 16 hours to nest saturday 11 hours reasonable?

- what price can I ask per week?

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anonymous A couple of quickies from me

1) You can't just rent to Dutch people - Breaks rather a lot of laws I am afraid

2) Check out rates on Airbnb for similar properties - remember to discount the cost to you by about 15-20% to account for Airbnb's fees

3) If you are abroad who will clean and do check in/check out?

4) The Airbnb insurance should not be relied upon.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Anonymous Welcome to the forum and possibly to hosting!

The best thing you can do to answer your questions is search the competition on Airbnb. Check out other hosts in your neighbourhood and see what they're charging, what they're offering, and their calendars to see if they have a lot of nights available.

I would not leave your computer available for guest use. TVs, yes: computers, no.

Yes, if you're renting your whole place, guests would expect to use the kitchen.

You could ask guests to do things like watering, but I wouldn't rely on it, personally. Better to get a neighbor or a service to take care of it.

Checkin of 16:00 and checkout of 11:00 seem reasonable. If you're only renting from Saturday to Saturday, though, it will really reduce your chances of getting booked. The more flexible you can be on check in and check out days, the better.

@Quincy  manages the Dutch community centre and may be able to direct you to info that's specific to the Netherlands.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Anonymous, I recommend also posting your questions on the Dutch community centre. 

Please visit https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Center-NL/ct-p/Community-Center-Dutch

(Thanks for the tag @Alexandra316 :-))

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thanks for the tip!