advice on negative review for guest - police involvement

Koen3
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

advice on negative review for guest - police involvement

Dear fellow hosts,

I have had mainly positive experiences with guests, however recently I had a couple who ended up with a domestic issue during new year’s celebration, causing noise to the neighbors. Apparently the fight got out of hand, so one of the two guests had gone on the street to ask for Police assistance, resulting in the police being in my apartment and parked in front of the door with their flash lights on.

I was notified of this situation by the neighbor, only once the guests checked out. During my guest contact it was not mentioned by the guest. I have phoned the guests, and the guest confirmed the police was involved.

To protect other hosts, I want to write a review and not recommend them to other hosts, however I want to prevent numerous ups and down, replies, and comments on posts.

Any recommendations on how to deal with this? The apartment was not damaged, and left in normal state.

Regards,
Koen

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Just be conscise and accurate: Good guests in terms of leaving the property as it was found, however nuisance and upset to neighbours was not appreciated. (I don;t think you need to mention it was a domestice with police involved)

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Koen3  that's a terrible situation for all involved.  You for not being told what was going on, your neighbors for having to deal with a situation requiring police help and of course for the couple fighting.    

I've also been in a situation similar, but in my case it was a family that lit fireworks in my backyard, and caused a huge amount of smoke, and one of the neighbors called the fire department.   The houses are all attached, and the neighbor couldn't identify which house it was, so the fire department banged on doors of ten houses before coming to my French family, as happy as clams and laughing at the situation.    It was only the next day as they were leaving that my neighbor happened to text me to say "quite a commotion yesterday with the fire department at your house".  HUH????  I rush over, ask the guest what happened, and they said 'oh yes, the fire department came but it was nothing'.  For them as they leave it was certainly nothing, but for me it was a huge deal. They also were good guests except this, so my review of them was that while they were very neat & tidy and left the house in good order, that I could not recommend them to other guests due to an act of carelessness that was disruptive to my neighbors.    I certainly didn't want to get into details for my own sake, so I left it at that.   The guest was pretty disgruntled at the review and really couldn't see that it was a major problem for me to have an official record of services being called to my house. Any association of Airbnb and fire/police is bad news in my eyes.

I hope that you can find a way to write a review that will give adequate info to another host, and if you're not comfortable saying out loud "do not recommend" then at least do the "thumbs down" which means they lose instant book privileges, at least for those hosts that require guests with approvals from former hosts.

I had the same situation with fireworks...although the fire department was not called. I now have "no fireworks" listed in my rules.

So far all of my guests have been stellar.  However, my neighbor is upset with the Airbnb.  I did talk with his wife but she has since asked me not to let him know I told her about it.  He is very upset and I want to address it and share all the positives about the Airbnb. 

Any words of wisdom or phrases, points of interest I can share with him?

Thank you,

Diane