airbnb telling guests if you decline because you are uncomfortable, reduced reasons to decline

Veronika2
Level 3
Emsworth, United Kingdom

airbnb telling guests if you decline because you are uncomfortable, reduced reasons to decline

first of all it is very annoying that there is no option to set certain dates to be available for only guests with positive reviews.

my listing descriptions says that I do not accept bookings for NYE from guests without positive reviews. 

I keep getting inquiries and requests from total newbies that I have to keep declining. one even had the nerve to ask for a disount for NYE!

So today on the UK site, again, I had to decline a request from someone who tried to book. Just registered a few days ago, not introducing themselves etc... 

when I declined I was forced to choose between 4 options why I decline a guests. I did not want the dates to be blocked so I chose 'I am not comfortable with this guests' as the option of 'I am waiting for a better request' or 'not suitable for the guest' is no longer an option. 

So next step I had to do was 'why are you uncomfortable' - I wrote: because they did not read the description saying we do not accept guests without positive reviews for NYE. so far ok...

BUT the next step I was forced to complete to decline said ' we will tell XY that you are uncomfortable with this booking!!!!

Then I had  a chance to message them why.

I think this is really unfair on the hosts and should not be told to guests if we decline because we feel uncomfortable. this could expose hosts to bullying from declined guests.

Also I would had been happy to decline to say the booking is not suitable them instead of saying uncomfortable, but I did not have the option. 

What does any of you think? I am starting to consider airbnb hosting is too much trouble. 

Veronika 

37 Replies 37
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Veronika

Some people on here think there running their own business, I think it's a hoot!

Apparently, you can choose your friends but not your guests.

Having said that I very rarely read previous review except for one enquiry without a photo and he wanted to view the place first, that peeked my interest and boy was I glad, he wanted his previous Host to turn the heat up to 27C.

BTW what does NYE mean?

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Veronika2
Level 3
Emsworth, United Kingdom

Hi

New Years Eve. I heard many horror stories of people trashing places for new years eve parties so I am extra cautious for that period and the same in August for the music festival. 

I am a very picky host as I manage it from another country and this is not a business for me just renting out our holiday home to cover the building costs. 

I never discriminate on race or sexual orientation, I had guests from all over the world, but I am picky on how much I trust that person to look after my home. 

Don't kid yourself @Veronika2 We are ALL in business.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hosting on airbnb is a little bit of trouble and gives you a feeling of insecurity, @Veronika2.

They also promote non-discrimination policy... of which you are a victim.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Cormac0 New Years Eve @Veronika2 you can always ‘block’ a guest from contacting you and that would stop any bullying. 

Good Luck!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

The option to block people has either been moved or is completely gone 😕 What is airbnb doing?

I have just now tried to block someone who was dishonest with me during their stay but has expressed wanting to stay again, and I can't. All I want is to protect myself from any future issues with this person and I will have to decline their immenent enquiry to do that, then give them a reason - as if they didn't violate Airbnb's policies anyway.

I really think Airbnb are trying to police hosts way too much now. It isn't worth it anymore to feel this uncomfortable just because of the control the site flexes over me as a host.

Marion220
Level 2
Tauranga, New Zealand

I totally agree Veronika. I just had the same experience myself. I cannot find the prospective  guest reviews section anymore too. I wonder if is only available for those who accept Instant Book.  There seems to be quite a push for us to use Instant Book but I like to vet my guests before accepting them.  It seems counterproductive to accept a guest automatically and then later decline. This is not fair on guests either. Also like to see a photo but it appears airbnb doesn not expect this.  I am also thinking of leaving.

Veronika2
Level 3
Emsworth, United Kingdom

I am the same. as a lot of time I cant actually meet the guests myself, I need to decide in advance if I trust them enough to let them stay there. So I need to have a chat with them beforehands and I would need the guest reviews. I cant see the star ratings either, which is really frustrating. So nowadays I look for 'I would host them again' as a recommendation. 

Sally225
Level 2
Mount Victoria, Australia

Me too. This as a sharing platform that worked well for guests and hosts has become restrictive and not viable as female host looking to share my home to like-minded travelers. This week I had a guy stay who had no review but claimed becuase he and his wife usually travel. I took a chance as I know the place he was working but he hadn't read the conditions - no smoking! He smoked and used beer bottles as ashtray that he left out in the patio throughout the day.  Clean enough but I want to review him badly but am worried that his unrealistic expectations will mean he will now review my place badly and so I don't want to review him at all. I have taken my place down from airbnb. Generally low bookings now as the restrictions put me back in the queue on a crowded market. The good news is other platforms are now seeing me get more bookings for longer periods with more guest communication. Flatmates.com and Gumtree.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Just want to know what are you going to do with Airbnb since you think is trouble, be careful about the words you choose,Host can't pleas every body and guest can't please every body so now what are we going to do, we're do we all stand

Laura1207
Level 2
Napa, CA

I've been hosting several years, and after a couple of unpleasant experiences w first time users- complaining, expectations, entitled etc.- only want guests w revues, no more first timers!

Is this possible to set up in your profile?

I'm in Napa so get some older people who are used to fancy hotels, which my lovely home is not!

Any suggestions?

Laura

Veronika2
Level 3
Emsworth, United Kingdom

I couldnt find any, but I would love to have it. 

before the guest make the reservation corespond via email ask a lot of questions and make clear about

your place, it is a home not 5 stars hotel and you will be hapy to help but you have a life and will not be available 24/7.

this will week out the trable guests. With the alder guests ask before hand if they have any medical issue you need to know

and if you are not comfortable with the medical issue tell them you aree not equipped to provide emergency care and they better off booking a room in a hotel when they will have 24/7 access to someone in case of emergency.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Oh! I had a similar thing last week. 

"Hello! I'm ******* and I'd like to stay in your beautiful bnb for the 10th to shoot a milk bath photo shoot in your porcelain tub for a 1920s look and my friend ******** will be my guest and we would be checking in around 3-4 and staying for a couple hours. I hope this is okay because I've looked every where for a bath tub as beautiful as yours! "

When I selected "uncomfortable" I saw for the first time the "we will tell" and my jaw dropped. I just said, "I don't rent my bathtub for photo shoots. I don't rent any part of my home for photo shoots."

I am almost at my first year mark. Not sure there will be a second with Airbnb if they keep this insanity up. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.