airbnb telling guests if you decline because you are uncomfortable, reduced reasons to decline

Veronika2
Level 3
Emsworth, United Kingdom

airbnb telling guests if you decline because you are uncomfortable, reduced reasons to decline

first of all it is very annoying that there is no option to set certain dates to be available for only guests with positive reviews.

my listing descriptions says that I do not accept bookings for NYE from guests without positive reviews. 

I keep getting inquiries and requests from total newbies that I have to keep declining. one even had the nerve to ask for a disount for NYE!

So today on the UK site, again, I had to decline a request from someone who tried to book. Just registered a few days ago, not introducing themselves etc... 

when I declined I was forced to choose between 4 options why I decline a guests. I did not want the dates to be blocked so I chose 'I am not comfortable with this guests' as the option of 'I am waiting for a better request' or 'not suitable for the guest' is no longer an option. 

So next step I had to do was 'why are you uncomfortable' - I wrote: because they did not read the description saying we do not accept guests without positive reviews for NYE. so far ok...

BUT the next step I was forced to complete to decline said ' we will tell XY that you are uncomfortable with this booking!!!!

Then I had  a chance to message them why.

I think this is really unfair on the hosts and should not be told to guests if we decline because we feel uncomfortable. this could expose hosts to bullying from declined guests.

Also I would had been happy to decline to say the booking is not suitable them instead of saying uncomfortable, but I did not have the option. 

What does any of you think? I am starting to consider airbnb hosting is too much trouble. 

Veronika 

37 Replies 37

@Veronika2   I see, I thought you were referring to Instant Book, my mistake.  I also take people with no reviews and all have been great, in fact the only two major disasters I have had were from guest with 5 star, stellar reviews - go figure.

Many people do not bother to read the description or rules, a frustration for many a host. I always respond to reservations by repeating things in my description that are important, and ask them to cancel if they have chosen blind. If they don't  cancel their reservation request or IB  I call Airbnb and ask them to do it - because, why should I be penalized by being made to decline because people don't read.

If it's just a inquiry I respond and that is enough to stop the clock ticking and then I ignore messages telling me to decline or pre-approve because there is no penalty for not declining inquiries once you have responded with a message, but if you do decline an inquiry it could be a negative mark against you (there is a lot of confusion about this and other hosts think differently, but this is what I do and I have not received any penalties that I am aware of).   Note: double check the clock has stopped ticking once you have responded to an inquiry by re-caching the page, sometimes it has to be done twice to stop the clock.

Veronika2
Level 3
Emsworth, United Kingdom

We dont even get to see the ratings of reviews anymore - just the text which is frustrating. 

so what I look for now is a host mentioning 'would host again' as endorsement. 

I had situations where I was forced to decline by AirBnB. My listing and house rules clearly state that I do not accept pets. Then I get a guest who proceed with a booking request messaging they have a cute 5 month old puppy. I responded within minutes that I do not accept pets. Then, I keep getting tons of annoying notifications from AIrBnB to pre-approve or Decline those guests. Obviously I cannot pre-approve and do not want to decline to avoid penalty. Lets face it, it is the guest's mistake... not mine. Should they have had no pet, I would have pre-approved them. So I called AirBnB asking them to cancel it for me since the guests chosen not to honor my rules. AirBnB then tells me the only way for me is to decline, but I tell them: "if I do this, I get penalized by your system" their answer was: " no you will not" Therefore, I followed what they told me to do which was to DECLINE. The reason option I chose for declining was: DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE BECAUSE OF PETS, CHILDREN ETC.. Then I get a message from AirBnB saying: Make sure to reflect no pet, children etc... into your house rules. Is this a joke or what? Moreover, AirBnB tells me on the phone that when you decline the reason option chosen sends a message to the Guest but does not notify the AirBnB staff, so in another word that message never reaches live people at AirBnB besides the Guest and then get buried into the virtual system. AND.... GUESS WHAT.... The horrible facts are that by forcing me to decline, this counted as penalty and my listing went down the end of thousands of listings and no longer traceable in my area across the Eiffel tower. Now I am getting no inquiries not Bookings for the last 4 weeks. I am so frustrated. Ange and Others, can you let me know how did you get AirBnB to cancel on your behalf without being penalized through the Decline system?
Ramani0
Level 1
Humble, TX

If we are away from the place where we want to host the Home, how to manage with maintenance and cleaning? Any suggestions please !!!

@Ramani0   You need to hire someone to do it. Or you can see  if Airbnb co-hosting would work for you, someone in your neighborhood who is on Airbnb might be willing to do the job for you.

Thank you.

Veronika2
Level 3
Emsworth, United Kingdom

@Ramani0

you can either employ someone to manage it or get cleaners and family help out. 

I dont have a high turnaround so if a friend or family cant help out with the cleaning (I pay them for it) I have a cleaner who can come and clean. 

Also I have a minimum 3 night stay rule - less than that not worth the hassle. I tend to focus on  guests staying longer, 1-3 weeks stays. 

and no same day bookings as I need to ensure the place is clean. 

If I stick with airbnb I might look into the co-hosting. as when I first started there was no option for that. 

Thank you so much for your prompt response Veronica. The info you have provided is valuable for me. Have a nice evening.