airbnb will not accept our payment?

Answered!
Trish6
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

airbnb will not accept our payment?

Hi, can someone advise -

We have been trying to complete a reservation for a stay at an airbnb place.  The host is accepting it. 

Our Mastercard has lots of room.  The rep at the CC company confirms it is good to go, but airbnb is blocking the payment. 

I sent a request for help to the help centre and they do not know why and only suggested that we use Paypal.  We have paypal and have it ready to go but it does not come up as an option to pay.  We are in Canada.

How the heck do we pay?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

For any issues with your reservation related to payments, we recommend contacting our support team for further assistance. See our Get Help or Contact Airbnb article.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

138 Replies 138
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi Trish,

I would contact Airbnb by phone :1-855-424-7262 and they should be able to take care of things.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thank you Dave,

I will call right away.

Trish

Day 4 of trying to resolve this issue.  Apparently Canadian payments are routed through a bank in the UK and our credit card company flagged the transaction as possible fraud. Understandable.

Days of phone calls with management at credit card company and customer help at Airbnb have not helped.  CC company has pre-approved the transaction for the UK but payment is still declined by airbnb.

Currently looking for another way to book our vacation.

Hi Trish. 

I had a similar problem when trying to book European Rail Travel with SNCF, while holidaying in Europe.  My Visa was protected by 'Verified by VISA', my bank in Australia could see my transaction requests (and approved them), yet SNCF kept rejecting my transactions 'because of fraud'. It turned out that I needed a billing address IN the country from which I was making the transaction, for the problem to go away.  I asked my Australian Bank to change my billing address to our base address in the UK, and suddeenly I could book SNCF tickets from the UK (but not from France or Germany).  Incredibly frustrating as many other online vendors did not have this problem. (e.g. eBay, and the UK company TrainLine happily allowed online transactions from several European places).

The British Office of SNCF wouldn't accept my solution and were not prepared to look further into the problem because of 'privacy' issues, so I made perhaps a dozen phone calls from France and the UK to SNCF and my Auusie bank. The main issue, in payment policies at SNCF, was never resolved.  (It may well be to do with UK banking laws).    Instead of booking tickets online, 'on the fly', I had to either return to the UK, or find a local railway station where I could 'sign' the credit card transaction.  Good Luck sorting your problem out!  Finding a 'techie' somewhere inside the bank or AirBnB who can REALLY identify the cause of the problem seems impossible. 

@Robin-And-Sue0, I had trouble using my American VISA card in France. Before leaving, my bank said I needed a pin# in France, but since I had used my card there for years without one, I disregarded the warning and discovered that France had changed it's policy with foreign cards. You cannot use a foreign credit card unless there is a clerk there to verify your identity. So ticket machines were useless and I experienced some trouble even with a clerk present. Since my husband's ATM card was also a VISA he couldn't withdraw cash from our checking account.

Agree 100%. I am having the same issue with Airbnb's service. CC company has said everythign is good to go, yey airbnb cannot figure anything out and my CC company says airbnb isn't even attempting to process it since they see no activity. Airbnb's only response "try another payment method." I am amazed that airbnb is still successfull with this atrocious of customer service.

EXACT same thing happening to me right now. Have been communicating with airbnb support for most of the day and they have not made one suggestion on their end, only for me to try a different browser, card, restart, refresh, etc.

SAME HERE!!!

Airbnb's bank rejects my credit card -- my card is fine - Chase.

Chase said something happens when I push pay, the automated system starts the address verification process, my bank approves it, then Airbnb's bank says it is time out.

Card works used same day.   Tried different browsers, laptop, phone, all same problem.

It is a problem with the Airbnb bank processing the transaction and it is very frustrating because Airbnb's only response is well there is a problem with your bank approving the card. NOOOOOOOOOOO....

Could you finally get it to work though? I've tried EVERYTHING. And four different cards, app, browser, everything, and can't figure out what to do now 😞

Do you have a PayPal account? If not set one up and use that to pay. Link your credit card to the PayPal account and it should go through. 

the paypal won't work with me 😞 so confused
Veronica616
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

Just tried the paypal option and that didn't work

It’s literally the worse Matt! One star level…

I have the same problem booking a Canadian apartment. I have been trying for a week now: called my bank many times, changed my plastic for a new one, and tried with a different credit card from another issuer. The problem persists.

Airbnb tech support says the problem is not theirs, as well as my bank. I tried to pay using my PayPal account but I keep getting the same "Failed to process payment collection." message.

This is it, I'm going to Booking website.