alternatives to airbnb

alternatives to airbnb

long story short, i'm frustrated with airbnb and its almost complete disregard for hosts. i'm a superhost with a near perfect rating and my account was flagged for no other reason than it was flagged. and not only was it flagged, it's been sacked to the bottom of the search page. try doing a search for my listings under the filters: IB/ superhost. doesn't show up. a search under superhost will get me search real estate way down the page. i have better ratings than something like 98% of the hosts around me, i have IB turned on, i am a superhost and this is happening. support openly tells me they can't find a reason why and furthermore, there's nothing they can do. meanwhile my bookings are down. this is not just my issue, it's an ongoing issue that airbnb seems to be dragging their feet on because they don't care about hosts. 

here are alternatives to airbnb i've found. maybe you're interested and maybe you're not, but putting it out there nonetheless. it will be interesting to see if airbnb starts playing "big brother" and flags this post because i'm sharing other platforms that a simple search can render. we'll see. 

27 Replies 27
Susan653
Level 10
Groton, CT

Victoria,

I just found your post after doing three separate Community searches to find suggestions for alternative booking platforms. First of all, I'm sorry for all the aggravation and loss of business the unjustified flags have caused/are causing you. Second, thank you so much for compiling that list. I'm looking for alternative platforms because of the new, B.S. "no guest profile photos" "anti-discrimination" policy and the high-handed way in which Airbnb rolled it out. I'm still waiting for an answer to my Community, Feedback, and Help posts asking why Airbnb can't (won't) create a sensible policy of tracking decline patterns and flagging/removing hosts who actually are discriminating, rather than making both hosts and guests uncomfortable by changing the photo policy. The best I got was a customer service person telling me that many other hosts had complained and the company was "looking into it". A few days later, there appeared the latest post that reiterates the shiny, new policy and encourages us hosts to feel more secure by asking prospective guests more questions about their travel plans and making them "agree" to our House Rules.

My follow-up question for Airbnb Admin and Sarah Sanders Huckabee stand-in Lizzie, was how, exactly, hosts are supposed to get guests to agree to House Rules without a tool (a click button or whatever) to ensure they'd read the house rules (or at least knew they existed) and officially agree. It's a proven fact that people act more considerate and responsible when they've signed or clicked approval or agreement--even if it's not a legally binding thing--so I suggested that Airbnb think about creating a tool for this purpose. No answer or acknowledgment whatsoever to my questions or suggestions, however, Lizzie did ask other posters to please offer feedback and suggestions--as long as said ideas have nothing to do with changing the new no-photo policy. Seriously? Seriously.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm so over it, I'm under it. I'll be looking into the platforms on your list, and thanks again for posting it.

Agreed!

Tetiana12
Level 2
Stryi, Ukraine

VRBO is US-centric - I believe that is how it is marketed. Their sister site for England would be HomeAway or VacationRentals.com 2. You have to do some digging on your own to make choices that make sense for you. All three are owned by Expedia at this point, along with others. MOre on https://travelsites.com/travel-books/

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

"What's Next For Google's Expansion Into Vacation Rentals?"

https://www.phocuswire.com/google-vacation-rentals-whats-next

Marco65
Level 6
Rome, Italy

@Victoria620 

Onefinestay - you have to have a perfect home, in a perfect condo, possibly in a perfect street
Booking.com - they skin you with their taxes
Vrbo - once it worked perfectly today no longer, the guests are of a much higher level than that of airbnb, which is good
Wimdu - I have tried it and it is very poor

I also used flipkey, which is completely irrelevant.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Victoria620 

Hi Victoria, here are some things you can do that MAY help. When I first began hosting, I did not know the implications of cancelling a booking on your end. After I did, I realized that because I had a good reason for cancelling a previous booking (I was selling the house), I was able to have airbnb remove this event under my account. I just had to show documentation and evidence. In your case, perhaps the guest with the dog may qualify as a good reason to have them remove this cancellation.

Another thing is don't actually decline guests you are not comfortable with. Just reply and make up a reason why you cannot host them but don't hit the decline button.

VRBO is great. I have 1 listing in particular which gets a lot of bookings from there (not sure why just this listing). And the quality of guests are better probbaly because they understand that a damage deposit is actually taken from them when they make the reservation.

The other ones like flipkey are very low traffic and I stopped even managing them because it was too much work. Booking.com doesn't work well for me except during the busy season when everything is booked up. I also don't think their platform is user friendly for hosts

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Hi @Victoria620 ,  Im so sorry to hear about your flagging, be persistent, call and call back again until you get a reasonable resolution.  The search enginge is wonky, especially at this moment, I suspect much of that has to do with everyone numbers being abnormal in ways systems built for normal dont calculate well.  Im sure they are tweaking the algorithms on almost a daily basis right now.  Ive had hundreds of bookings and only a few cancellations over the last 3 years, never have I actually cancelled anyone with that button.  Its been mentioned already, Hosts have many ways to cancel without pressing that button and they should use all of those before doing it, the best is to call CS and explain the issue.  We had a customer arrive with a dog once (our listing is clear, no dogs)and let CS send them packing, when  they asked me if I wanted to cancel the booking I said no but your going to cancel it for me cause it never should of happened to begin with.  They obliged my request instantly and Im still at 100% acceptance rate, its all good when it ends well.  

I have to say, the mostly shallow research I've done in the last years and comments here from folks like @Marco65 seem to support that the lodging service support supplier that seems most centered on the majority of our bread and butter bookings as smaller non Lux lodging providers is Airbnb (the 21 Century re-creators of the second oldest profession in history, Innkeeper). 

The proof is in the Pudding, Bearpath Lodging, in the middle of nowhere upstate NY gets great bookings from all over country and the world and until the virus hit, we were on our way to a 4th year of phenomenal double digit growth.  We have always been most liberal/ Flex on cancellation policy but 99% of those arranged bookings prior to the virus crash went very well with very very few cancellations.  

Lets not forget what we get for <3%of our gross-   My listing looks awesome considering Im a Sciences Instrument Technician by trade not a Hotelier.   Its seen all over the world without paying website design or maintenance fees, we get paid for those that stay with us when completed quickly, receive 24 hour/ 7 days a week Customer service that makes sure I don't have to be alert and on my game 24/7/365. 

There's more but those are some of the biggies, really, how can you beat that when Credit card processing fees from most would cost that much without another services provided?    Also, lets take a quick look at how a bankcard from likely would have dealt with a covid Extenuating Circumstances cancellation, do you think they would have taken more than a minute to decide in favor of the guests after learning the customer wasnt allowed/ was prevented from staying by law in our place that we want to charge them for?  Not- AE, MC and VISA dont care about our Lodging cancellation agreements, they are only going to pay for goods and services their customers received when disputed cause they have extenuating circumstances clauses as well.  (Some include travels insurance but its often doesnt cover acts of god, catastrophe and others just like our homeowners insurance).  

The recent announcement from Brian and Partners that they would terminate (not lay off) a large volume of employees working in "Growth" areas to refocus their energies away from new shiny ventures that are a distraction from both customer and host Care and Consideration is a positive move in hosts favor.   At some point most of us that are left after the shakeup will appreciate more that Airbnb was customer Centered, guests will come back to the place that didnt screw them out of their money when many could least afford to lose any for a vacation that never was..  

Im not a "Airbnb Company Man" nor an cheerleader, I expect them to do what they promised and what they have done that worked so well for us, we need to hold their hands and feet to the fire until we can verify the foundation is once again solid and our foray into Global Hosting is secure but at least give them the chance to correct with the market changes, Stay well, JR 

@Melodie-And-John0 Please share this customer service phone number you are using with such success?? I have tried twice now with no luck. The first time, I received an email 3 days later!! The second time, I set on hold for over an hour and gave up. 

Persistence pays off, sometimes its slower than others but stopping won't fix it @Ashlyn16 .  I use both texting and the standard customer service number, I do know Super Hosts automatically get a bit quicker and sometimes higher level connections to answers but I never had issues getting through before I was a SH.  I really haven't had any issues that needed their attention as of late (cancellations are pretty straight forward) so I don't know if or how C19 or  the downsizing will effect me.  When I do, I will let you know, until then I can only go with my experiences over nearly 400 bookings over 4 years when they helped me many times, I take your word for your experiences, you've no reason to say otherwise.  I hope for all our sake's things all the way around Airbnb and the world return to nearer the norm we were accustomed to than the one we should never hope to get use to!  Stay well.  JR

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I think I have made 10 posts like you just did John @Melodie-And-John0 here over the last few years. Two basic concepts perhaps cover our similar message:

1.  Appreciate what you got before you loose it.

2. Careful what you wish for (as some here wish that Airbnb would fail) 

Oftentimes the herd mentality gets so far off course, that its members must sign a pledge ( "I hate Airbnb as much as everyone else here" ) - before saying anything positive about them. LoL

It is highly probable Airbnb will be a much improved entity coming out of this virus event, and I for one wouldn't want to miss the new improved version. In the meantime I am going to make my listing twice as good, the only thing I do have full control over.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

A resounding YES to all of that @Fred13 !

(& @Melodie-And-John0 )

@Fred13 ,  Fred, I can honestly say that the ability that Airbnb has enabled for me to reach out to the world like they have and scoop up customers from everywhere is amazing and fortuitous at the same time.  But then again I also thought  Fax over Radio Teletype, ARPANET and an IBM Memory Writer were earthshaking creations the first time I used them. 

We're a far cry from the horse and buggy whip travel days where AAA and Rand McNally were the only choices to go for self planned and guided trips, you got a narrow spiral bound map that showed the locations of sponsored lodging, fuel stops, Restaurants and tourist traps and prayed the lodging you booked actually looked anything like the brochure that was made 20 years prior that you chose it from. 

That was only 30 years ago not 100, 500 or a 1000, sometimes (often)  I get to wondering if I just set my expectations way low or if others are way too high.   The truth is the best answer might just be somewhere in between but in a quickly changing environment we're living in, I feel better expecting less and being excited if and when I surpass it. 

I will surpass it cause like you, I will do my best to make our listing look superior and our spaces rival  other contenders in our area by always improving it.   In the end, Guests that stay with us are renting time in our spaces not Airbnb's or the Marriott so were the largest influence on our own success.   Stay well Fred, JR  

No wonder as one gets older, one tends to become more grateful about the new opportunities now possible and subsequent marked improvements in our quality of life - because one has the past to compare with.

Just 20 years ago,  one was compelled to live by where the jobs were; in the case of hosting to spend a fortune on advertising and/or depend on walk-in traffic, and hoped that all worked. Today one can live where wants to and the pre-paid, more-than-enough customers will be send to you, all for the minuscule cost of 3%. Did anyone even thought back then that was possible?