annoying guest complaining about not enough hot water in shower- numerous times!

in
Zagreb, Croatia
Level 3

In my 6 years of hosting I think I just had the most annoying guest. They only stayed for 2 nights, but sent numerous messages complaining about not enough hot water in the shower, some messages being even after midnight, I had to come 2 times to the apartment to check what was wrong with the shower, only to find out that everything is fine, its a 50 liter electric water heater and it provides when I tested 9.5 minutes of hot water, and so far I never had even one complaint about this from hundreds of  previous guests,  they even requested I let them stay in my other apartment because 9.5 minutes is not enough for them to shower. How long are showers suposed to last ?

25 Replies

Re: annoying guest complaining about not enough hot water in shower- numerous times!

in
Placencia, Belize
Level 10

"In an average home, showers are typically the third largest water use after toilets and clothes washers. The average American shower uses 17.2 gallons (65.1 liters) and lasts for 8.2 minutes at average flow rate of 2.1 gallons per minute (gpm) (7.9 lpm)."

A recent BBC study also came to the same conclusion. The old thinking was that it was about 5 minutes.

Want to get around such 'excessive' use? Install a super-thin output shower head and reduce the 2.1 flow significantly and bore the hell out of guests in the process. They may hate the flow, but will not run out of hot water. Of course, since these guests were a rare exception, it's their 'problem'.

Re: annoying guest complaining about not enough hot water in shower- numerous times!

in
Zagreb, Croatia
Level 3

the guests are from New York so maybe thats the reason, but i do get so many american guests and never one complaint

in
Atascosa, TX
Level 10

@Drago1  I was just going to ask that lol. Are they from the US? My daughters take 20-30 minute showers on average to wash long hair and shave their legs. I have an 80 gallon water tank which is the equivalent of 302 liters. Almost all homes here have at least a 40-50 gallon water tank equivalent to 151-189 liters, so it's what they are use too. They also take usually 2 showers a day. 

in
Placencia, Belize
Level 10

About how old are these people? Upstate or NYC?

in
Placencia, Belize
Level 10

'Early 20's', got it. The 'it is all about them' age group.

in
Zagreb, Croatia
Level 3

I don't know upstate or NYC, they are early twenties, and they even have about 30 reviews as hosts before

in
Frederick, MD
Level 10

@Drago1 many hosts have said that other hosts are poor guests. We have had a few that seem to think their job is to critique our listing instead of just enjoying their stay 

in
Westcliffe, CO
Level 10

@Drago1, what rude behavior, texting after midnight like that. 

My place has an older water heater and when we bought it we were planning on replacing it, but then realized, it provides enough hot water-probably 10 minutes or so, which is plenty long enough for a shower, especially in an arid mountainous area, where we want to conserve water, so I decided to keep the water heater in an effort to help conserve water.

I've only had one group say anything-a young couple, who told me in the private feedback that they didn't have enough hot water, but they understood it is a cabin. 

I have it noted on my listing and in my pre-approval message that 'being a mountain cabin, hot water is not unlimited. Please help us conserve water'.  

in
Zagreb, Croatia
Level 3

its not an old water heater, its 3 years old, the most expensive one I found of that size, its really a weird complaint, it was even one of the hotest days of the year 35 celsius outside

in
Westcliffe, CO
Level 10

@Drago1, wasn't implying yours is old, was just telling my situation.

In yours, it seems there is no reason for them to be complaining about that in your place it sounds. I guess the lesson is that everyone will find something to complain about. Perhaps add something in your listing as I do like 'help us conserve water'. I think it's a way to say, "Hey, don't complain about the water" without actually saying so! 

in
South Korea
Level 10

@Drago1

Some people have no sense of conservation and leave the shower running non-stop during their entire shower. I always turn the water off while I shampoo my hair, soap up or shave. My showers tend to last 15~20 mins but the water is flowing for only half that time. 

I've set it up so that after about 15 mins the water turns a bit lukewarm - I haven't had any complaints yet 🙂 I also tell guests that "heating, ac, certain living habits and home set-up may be different from your own country and while we always do our best to make our guest comfortable, they should also be ready to make adjustments according to what is considered "normal" in our home." 

Level 10

I have something similar for my address directions in my house rules, guests from US were so used to using Google maps and ignoring my directions. Addresses here in Ireland are quite vague compared to what I was used to back home but I don't expect things to be the same in other countries. After I got verbally abused by some guests this year I spell it out a few times to follow my directions or else! I love your blurb on home set up, hope you don't mind if I steal it? Ireland has oil heating and same nightmare abusive guests couldn't get that it was not hot air system they have back home. Sure, I will install different heating for a third of a normal hotel room price!!!

in
South Korea
Level 10

Of course I don't mind 🙂 

Don't get me started on heating - Korea traditionally has floor heating in homes. We don't like air heaters - noisy, dries up the air, and is considered an inefficient way to heat a home. 

in
Seattle, WA
Level 10

The question is "How long do showers last in your community?"

You can play the "culture card" . The Airbnb community is supposed to embrace and accept differing community standards.

If guest wants American standards anywhere in the world, they can choose Marriott.

But the guest is choosing Airbnb and Airbnb's embrace of the world.

Spin this and be proud. "My hot water heater is new and is larger than all my neighbors. It's how we live in Croatia. We hope you can accept our lifestyle. Thanks"

In their review "Best served by a hotel"