anyone else got a problem with guests who do not have their own photo on their profile picture?

Sheila43
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

anyone else got a problem with guests who do not have their own photo on their profile picture?

Can airbnb insist that people use their own pictures in their profile pictures? I had a man turn up and he had an image of a woman on his thumb nail profile pic? when one clicked on the photo he was behind in the background. I did not recognise the korean name as male... it was a shock to open the door to a man...he seemed surprised that i did not recognise that she was a famous korean ice skater?REALLY? I would appreciate airbnb sorting this issue out and insisting that profiles are from offical documents or at least of the person booking... I feel i a  being put at risk... 

5 Replies 5
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

That's a tricky one, since the Korean name did not clue you in to gender, although some English names can go either way too, ie Taylor, Avery, Nicky, Stevie etc. Airbnb (I think) encourages a profile pic of aperson's face, but doesn't enforce it. You can ask a potential guest for a clear profile picture prior to booking. And you can also request ID at check in. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I had a Johnny book and assumed the wrong gender, looking at the photo it was clearly her but a quick glance did not clue me in.

David
SueEllen0
Level 4
Danville, VA

I agree. I also feel at risk. I've had several people show up who clearly weren't the person in the photo and one who freely admitted that her friend (who had the Airbnb account) set it up for her and her boyfriend. She did not see any problem with it. They seemed very nice and I did ask for the copies of their actual IDs, which they kindly provided. 

It is disconcerting to say the least. It puts the host in the uncomfortable position to have request their ID upon arrival.

I would like to see Airbnb change this policy.

airbnb standard policy actually already has "verified photo", but in reality, the guest can have any photo of anything they like. I have seen 1 japanese star photo from another host, and 1 sky photo of a guest.

An up to date profile picture is a requirement of Airbnb, but  a person can change their profile picture to anything they want and this leaves hosts un aware of who is coming to their space.  We have had many guests, with animals, objects or landscapes as their profile picture make reservations through instant book (recommended to increse booking).  I have had to message these guests several times, with no response, requesting a profile picture of them.  Ultiamtely, resorting to contacting airbnb to contact them to enforce their 'requirement'.  As a host, I have in my house rules that it is imperative a guest has an up to date profile picture in order to book with us.  This still does not help!  As a host, we are already leaving ourselves vulnerable,  I feel Airbnb does not enforce these safeguards for hosts.