automatically change the minimum stay to unblock gaps in calendar

Alexandru-Luchian0
Level 2
Schaerbeek, Belgium

automatically change the minimum stay to unblock gaps in calendar

It would be really helpful if the system can automatically change the minimum stay when it is blocking a period in the calendar.

Example:

If the calendar is set to 2 days minimum stay but between two approved stays only one day is left, the customers are unable to reserve that one day until we change the minimum stay specifically for it, manually.

It would be ideal if this is done automatically.

27 Replies 27
Camelia0
Level 3
Bucharest, Romania

Indeed, I agree! Especially when managing a bigger number of apartments this issue is really a time consuming problem and if one is not constantly checking the calendar and manually creating exceptions, can lose booking opportunities.

Bruce53
Level 2
Cygnet, Australia

The problem is Airbnb's system makes it difficult to offer 1 night stays with a surcharge to cover extra work/costs.

It is possible to add the extra charges to House Rules ie. "*ONE NIGHT STAYS attract an $xx cleaning surcharge" and then request a change to the bookingwhen a request is received. This only works if smart pricing is off.

This is top of my wish list for improvements to the Airbnb system as there is a demand for one night stay in my area that I would gladly supply if the extra work involved is paid for.

@Bruce53- the cleaning fee is included separately for each reservation (IF you have added a cleaning fee), so I don't see any problem here. Maybe I haven't quite understood your point of view, though.

Hi Camelia,

Airbnb's cleaning fees apply to all bookings.

So I see them as redundant.

I just have a price per night that obviously includes cleaning.

Where an additional cleaning fee would be useful is where there is extra work involved beyond a standard booking. As is the case when you have to clean and launder after only one night. Sure you can say there is a minimum stay of 2 nights, but that means you exclude the market of all those wishing to only stay one night and are willing to pay extra for it.

Another instance where a cleaning fee would be useful is when you have charged for a couple but they use 2 beds or a second bedroom. These are services that should be offered to guests but it would be nice to be paid for the extra cleaning and laundry.

In my experience guests who want extras are quite happy to pay for them, as long as they are pre-warned of charges. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Alexandru-Luchian0 @Camelia0

What about those hosts who do NOT want to fill those gaps ?

@Bruce53

Prices for single gap days can be increased manually in the calendar.  

@Marit-Anne0, those would simply not activate the feature. It is a feature we are requesting, and it is no effort for a web developer to make a checkbox (optional)

G'day Marit Anne,

Pricing for single days is an option once it is a one day gap. A lot of work when it could be automated. We are in the computer age!

I wish to offer one night stays at a premium price regardless of other bookings. 

My point was this would resolve both the problems.

@Marit-Anne0- Airbnb has a very smart automated system behind, for sure they could add a check box 'click here if you want to have Airbnb automatically set available the gaps between reservations' or something like that 🙂

@Camelia0

I am sure they could, but as of now they reward us for being active, like going into our listing every single day.

I agree and I sinultaneous disagree. There are other ways of keeping the hosts active. By communication with guests, for example. In the same time they also want us to have bigger occupancy rate. If they Would have wanted for the hosts to constantly "be active" by modifying something in the listing, they wouldn't have created the Smart pricing policy.

@Camelia0

The smart pricing is in THEIR interest to increase occupancy rate.

Well, as well is also occupying the gaps that remain not bookable due to the minimum stay rule, Marit-Anne. In the interest of all the parties involved, actually - the hosts receive more guests and increase their incomes, Airbnb gains more reservations, guests find a place to stay according to their needs. Win-win-win situation 🙂

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Alexandru-Luchian0

With that proposed level of occupancy, I suspect your standard of cleanliness would drop and consequently you star ratings. There are also wear and tare issues that you won't have time to address !

Be careful of what you wish for.

regards

@Cormac0- I can ensure of the fact that this is not necessarily the scenario. I had (and not only once) 100% occupancy rate for my apartments and this didn't translated into a lower cleanliness aspect. If everything is taken care of, this (100% occupancy rate) is easily manageable. I really don't see a problem in this.