bad weather mid-stay

bad weather mid-stay

I have a guest who decided to leave mid-stay due to a pending snow storm that was supposed to hit during the last two days of his trip.  Nothing stopped him from staying in the house, but he wanted to leave for his own convenience.   He is asking for a refund.  How do I go about refunding him without canceling his reservation?  Should I give him a refund for part of his stay?

Thanks to anyone who has experience with something like this.

Curtis

9 Replies 9
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I woudnt refund anything. You are not in control of the climate. 

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Curtis-and-Heather0,

I would tell him that all refunds are handled through Airbnb and that he needs to cancel in order to get refunded from Airbnb dependant on your cancellation policy.  He could contact Airbnb and they may deem it "extenuating circumstances" but really, it is his job to look into it.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thanks Dave, this is what I suggested to him.  He hasn't responded in a couple days, so he may just let it go.

Curtis

Wendy-and-Markus0
Level 10
United States

@Curtis-and-Heather0-

Question- Prior to him leaving or proposing to leave had he asked for or had you offered him a full/partial refund for the dates unused? If they are asking for a refund after the fact, I would not refund him.

Hey Markus, There was no mention of any kind of refund before he left. In fact, we didn't even know he was gone until we inquired about how his stay was going and he said he had left the day before. We're relatively new hosts and worried about a bad review.  If someone leaves a bad review for something that they did incorrectly, in accordance with Airbnb rules, can you fight it?

Hi @Curtis-and-Heather0,

Did he cancel in the end?  If he did cancel, he cannot review you.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

He didn't cancel yet. The dates of his stay have passed now. Can he still cancel?

He seemed like a nice guy. He said he enjoyed his stay. My only concern is if he feels slighted in the charge.

Thanks for responding!

Hi @Curtis-and-Heather0,

No he can no longer cancel and he can review you.  

Dave

David

Perfect.  We'll hope for the best!  Thanks again!