beware: Strict cancellation = sabotage 1 star review + no support from airbnb

Khang3
Level 2
Richardson, TX

beware: Strict cancellation = sabotage 1 star review + no support from airbnb

I set my listing as strict cancellation. Guest booked. I prepared the room, sent checkin information for guest then go to work ( I have a day job). Guest canceled last minute and asked for refund. I refused. Guest left a 1 star review for "incorrect address',  1 star for "host didn't respond check in, location, value..."  I was shocked and contact Airbnb support team, hope that the extremely unfair review /wrongful rating can be took off, so that it won't affect my overall build up rating for the past 12 months I host. But they refused to help. I decided to take my listing off Airbnb but the system keep give me error and don't let me to. I gave the correct address, fast response, did my job to prep the room, and stick to my cancellation policy. But at the end I get an unfair rating and no support from the platform that I trusted and open my home door the past 12 months. Very dissatisfied and disappointed. Airbnb should remove the strict cancellation as an option for hosts because that was not really an option, IMO. 

11 Replies 11

@Khang3

I get that a revenge review totally sucks and the fact that ABB does nothing says a lot about how they value hosts. But I do not think the strict cancellation policy is the problem here. 

The only cancellation policy I'd consider is the strict. No moderate or flexible for me. 

Hi @Jessica-and-Henry0 Please weigh in on the 'Introducing Superhost Week' thread in the airbnb updates section, it is written by a what is apparently the new Host Success manager at Airbnb, and ignores all our regular complaints to make themselves look good with the new hosts.  You will see all level 1 and 2 postings in there, probably they should hear from the regulars.

@Tony134 I hope Airbnb listen to regular hosts more and the customer service protect hosts more, because at the end, WE are the one whose open our home door for guests. 

@Tony134

I saw that post..........but honestly it's just another marketing tool puff piece, patting themselves on the back for doing nothing. I really didn't feel the need to repeat something for the 100th time when ABB has no intention of hearing what we have to say.

As long as guests are able to book with me and get paid I have no other expectations from ABB. It's just a booking platform and a service provider, nothing more and I don't expect ABB to help me with any of my hosting issues. I will screen my own guests and I will use the rules and policies to my advantage as I see fit 🙂

@Khang3 I would continue to call.  I had a guest who booked and then 5 minutes later cancelled but it was for the same day  even thou i didnt have to i refunded him 100% so obviously he never checked in.  The next day my airbnb feed asked me to review him so i knew he was able to review me.  I immediately called airbnb and explained he had never set foot on my property the CS rep blocked him from being able to leave a review...so it is possible if they have not set foot on your property.

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I agree with you. I wish I can be flexible but I have a day job, and it took effort to go home, prepare beds for guest during lunch time. That is why I need guest to be serious about their booking andalso appreciate my preparation efforts. 

@Khang3

Henry and I also have full time day jobs. We are not professional hosts and we are not dependent on ABB income so like you, we don't want to waste time with fickle guests who don't know how to plan in advance and think it's okay to change their minds at a whim.

I don't want to be flexible. If people want flexible, they can go book fully refundable hotel rooms or guest houses 🙂

Zoe34
Level 7
Columbia, MO

Hi there! Did the guest ever check-in? If they never checked in, they do not have the luxury of leaving a review. This happened to me too, and Airbnb removed the review because they never checked into the home. I would contact Airbnb support again and ask that they remove the review since the guest never checked in. Good luck!

Khang3
Level 2
Richardson, TX

@Zoe34 I did contact Airbnb support and mentioned that the guest never check in but give me 1 star rating on every aspects and the case manager refused to help. 

@Khang3 keep trying. Airbnb CS agents are notoriously wildly inconsistent.

Angus-and-David0
Level 4
Queensland, Australia

Guys

Airbnb from what I read care nothing about the hosts. As long as they get their commission they couldn't care less. It is frustrating and I agree with how annoying it is but little will ever change with Airbnb. The constant barrage of messages I get to ower my prices (by half) makes me laugh. They know nothing about my property and proves they don't care about anyone other than themseves. I think unfortunately, we, as hosts, are on our own. Good luck though with your listings.