breaking smoking rule and damage afterwards

Gabriela1006
Level 2
Ramona, CA

breaking smoking rule and damage afterwards

Hello there, 

I have an RV rental inside my property and started hosting about 3 months ago. 

This guest left 2 days ago after 28 days stay, it was the husband, her and a child.

There is a no smoking inside trailer rule and they broke this rule and noticed once they left.  There "seems"  a burn on fitted sheet that passed through the sheet and affected mattress protector. I say "seems" because I was not present at the moment but the damaged area/fabric feels harder, it's darker and smells smoke/tobacco. This is not a huge area, it's approx. 1/2 inch.

After thinking about it for a couple hours, my husband and I decided to open a claim and request payment to replace the damaged sheet and mattress protector.  The amount came up to 48dlls. Not a very large amount but it was the action we decided to have them be responsable for. 

Story short: she got furious!!!!! she texted back saying so may bad thing about the place after she had said she enjoyed her stay, false accusations and harassing about bad review.

She is now requesting reimbursement for the full amount of her entire stay due to the bad experience. She said that my septic tank does not work properly and smells feces,  that the place smells propane/gas,  got a flat tire due to nails in the ground and had to replace tire, respiratory issues due to spraying "poison"/weed killer and "all bad orders".

Now Air BNB has my listing suspended and I understand gas is a huge safety and will remain suspended until I provide an gas leak inspection???  Who pays for this inspection?? and I now for sure this is not an issue because hoses were changed 2 moths ago. It's clear the lady has no experience at all with RV's, which I asked when they checked in and the husband said yes, but it is 100% normal for propane to smell when running low or tank is empty and not because there is a leak it's just the way propane is.  

Has anyone experienced something like this before?? Do I need to start thinking about getting legal advise with this lady??? because clearly they did not get the message of being responsible for their actions and denied all. 

1 Reply 1
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Gabriela1006 that is unbelievably crappy. You will need to pay for the inspection for sure... Airbnb won't cover it, nor will the guest. If I were in your position with such a long stay and such a small damage amount, I would honestly just let it go and address it in the review.

Really sad that guests can hold hosts hostage for this kind of thing, but with reviews being what they are, sometimes you just have to leave the hard to reach chips go!