can I cancel an accepted last minute if payment declined without a penalty?

Robert4572
Level 2
Port Hope, Canada

can I cancel an accepted last minute if payment declined without a penalty?

I accepted a last minute booking thinking it was for a Sunday night at 11:30 Saturday night only to realize I had my dates wrong - then I got a message from Airbnb that the guest payment was declined!  Now I want to just outright cancel because I dont feel comfortable and I don’t want to be penalized because I am still not getting payouts since Airbnb has me covering for 2 cancellation penalties just after New Years when my blocked dates no longer appeared as blocked - I was out of the country and found out there had been a flood at my hosted property!  And they penalized me!  One booking came through  just as I cancelled the first one,  before I could reconfirm my blocked off dates!  Anyway I am really quite shy now about cancelling this booking and being penalized?  Not having a great experience with the App or with Airbnb leaning towards guest rights when I keep hearing its hosts getting screwed!

Anyway I think this booking  a scam! PLEASE Help me out and tell me how to cancel this correctly without penalty before the guest appears at my doorstep!  

3 Replies 3
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Robert4572 if the payment didn’t go through, the reservation is all already canceled the Airbnb. You should call them to clarify. You’re not expected to host anybody for free. As for the flood, that should’ve been covered under extending circumstances. Depending on how long ago it has been, it also might make sense for you to ask them to waive that.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>if the payment didn’t go through, the reservation is all already canceled the Airbnb<<

I'm afraid (and somewhat absurdly) this isn't the case, @Robert4572. Airbnb will try and put the payment through again until it works, all of which time it stays live on your calendar.

However, I believe you can call them up on these occasions and say you're not happy to honour the booking. They'll try and shame you into taking it, but you don't have to. 

Good luck. 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Robert4572 Call airbnb ASAP to make sure the reservation is cancelled.

Also I recommend to costumize your calender so no one can book last minute. Maybe turn off instant book until you feel you got control over your calender and only accept "requests to book" where you have to either accept or decline every guest.