cancel reservation while waiting for payment

Dan107
Level 1
Vienna, Austria

cancel reservation while waiting for payment

Hi everyone.

A guest booked my place and when i accepted the booking a message came up "waiting for paymemt ... 24hours"

So far so good.  Did this many times and worked out well.

Although yesterday i accepted a booking the same way and the guest answered that she found something else already via another booking site.  And she doesn't kmow how to cancel this booking now.

Which means leaving me bloced all day for this night.   Noone else can book now.

How can i contact airbnb so they will cancel this booking now?

Any ideas?

11 Replies 11
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Not sure if they have a local number to you, call would be my preference, if you use Twitter that seems to work.

David
Jay68
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

You have to wait 24 hrs still then it will be available for you to decline there offer your sent only on a laptop/desk top version of the Airbnb this is visible - click reservation to see cancel or change only after 24hr or contact Airbnb let them do it but I learned its systematic so they might can help . Instant booking works best for me  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dan107....Hi Dan, As I understand from your question you HAVE already accepted this booking so the 24hr rule does not apply on your side and if payment is not made by the guest Airbnb will cancel the booking without any further intervention from you!

Should you want to talk to someone there is a phone number for Austria and it as follows...

Austria / Österreich: +43 72 08 83 800. This number is of course an international number. Being a local you would know to drop the prefix.

Dan, don't ever cancel a guest booking request that you have accepted yourself! Always call Airbnb and ask them to instruct the guest to cancel the booking, or else have them cancel the booking on behalf of the guest.

Dan, this is most important, and do not let Airbnb ask you to accept the cancellation for the guest....You will be heavily penalised if you do. Explain that you were and are prepared to host the guest and any cancellation will have to be on the guests side. Many hosts have been 'tricked' by Airbnb help desk into accepting responsibility for cancelling and the automated system does not take into account circumstances, it only recognises who cancelled.

Sorry to labour a point there but you need to be very clear about this.

Cheers....Rob

Hi Robin,

thanks.  I called the German airbnb staff and they canceled the booking because there was no feedback from the guest and the guest mentioned in the email already that they found something else.

Thank you very much for your discussion.

All the best, Dan

Bob43
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I am really curious about the problem of waiting for 24 hours?

Big problem waiting 24 hours for me. Our high season is July/August.

i had a cancellation 1-5 August. 4 days before 1 August, someone booked days 3 and 4 for without payment. They were allowed to block my calendar.

Guest not confirmed and I missed opportunity for a 5 day booking because he had  24 hours.

i suggest instant payment within 2 weeks of arrival.

Mi sugerencia es aun mas estricta y es que el cliente tiene 1 hora para realizar el pago de no hacerlo que se de la oportunidad de abrir calendario y así recibir verdaderas reservas de clientes realmente interesados.

Kate204
Level 2
Vincentia, AU

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I am in the middle of a similar situation.  My last booking had payment problem but guest emailed me right away as to what had happened, company credit card limited was raised, and had it resolved within 2 hours.  Last night I received another booking request, accepted and then had the payment problem issue again.  As before, the guest has 24 hours to get the payment problem fixed.  It has been 12 hours at this point and not a word from the guest.  Next time this happens, I will hit the DECLINE button, rather than wait for the guest to get their payment issue resolved on my time.

Linda

Hotel-VDL-Colonial1
Level 2
Villa de Leyva, Colombia

Si definitivamente es una situación que perjudica claramente a los anfitriones ya que los huéspedes juegan con el tiempo otorgado de 24 horas y bloquean el anuncio, mientras existen personas que realmente quieren alojarse en tu propiedad.

This is an English speaking group @Hotel-VDL-Colonial1