cancellation due to weather

Janie7
Level 1
Galveston, TX

cancellation due to weather

We are hosts here in Galveston. We were forced to cancel a reservation for this Friday due to Hurricane Harvey. It seems we are being penalized in our ratings. This does not seem fair. It is also dificult to make contact with a representative either on line or by phone.  What can we do?

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Janie7 you shouldn't canceled by yourself, you should have call ABB and they would cancel those reservations without any penalty for you bc those are extenuating circumstances.

Contact ABB now, explain the situation and ask them to withdraw all the penalties, open your calendar etc... 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245

Maria758
Level 9
Washington, DC

Hello @Janie7

Let me start by saying our thoughts and prayers go out to you and everyone in Texas experiencing this storm.

As for your inquiry, I would very surprised if Airbnb does not reverse these negative marks towards your listings due to the storm.

As you may know, Airbnb has policies set in place that may make it difficult for guests, and hosts, to cancel a reservation without some type of penalty.  Of course, due to the nature of this platform, I believe it is a necessary evil in order for guests, and hosts to build trust and actually utilize the service. 

“Cancellations disrupt guests' plans and impact confidence in the Airbnb community. We enforce host cancellation penalties help to prevent cancellations from occurring and further promote transparency in our marketplace. “ (Source:  Are There Exceptions to the Host Cancellation Penalties)

With that said, Airbnb also understands that there may be some “Extenuating Circumstances” (Extenuating Circumstances Policy), rare instances, which may cause a guest or host to cancel a reservation. 

“If Airbnb determines that a Guest’s reason for cancellation falls within Airbnb’s Extenuating Circumstances Policy, Airbnb may override the Host's cancellation policy (ex: flexible, moderate, strict) and make refund decisions. If Airbnb determines that a Host’s reason for cancellation falls within Airbnb’s Extenuating Circumstances policy, Airbnb may waive the host cancellation penalties…” (Source:  Are There Exceptions to the Host Cancellation Penalties )

If you have already sent them a message, give them a little more time to respond.  They are probably getting quite a number of inquiries for similar situations.

Furthermore, I notice that you are a Superhost.  As a Superhost, one of your benefits include Priority support.  You should receive priority phone support whenever you call Airbnb or tweet @AirbnbHelp.  Make sure you are using the phone with the number listed on your Airbnb account so they can recgonize your status and bump up your call.  Also, if you have not already, open up a Twitter account just for your listing so you can Tweet them.  We don’t “Twitter” but opened up an account just for this reason.  It’s free and it may even help you with future bookings.

Hope this is helpful!  Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!

Happy Hosting!

Izzie, Co-Host

LOV Puerto Rico