cancellation exception

Christina529
Level 2
Longmont, CO

cancellation exception

Hello fellow members,

I am a new host with airbnb. I got my first reservation for Sep2-Sep30. The guest messaged me through airbnb asking if I could let him start sooner? Based on other suggestions I had set up the maximum number of days for a reservation to 28. So I had to initiate the change. So I went into the reservation and made a change request to change the dates (as he had asked) to be Aug26-Sep30. The system took my change request and said that once the guest approves the change will be made. But within a couple of hours I got another booking for Aug30-Sep1 and since I had instant booking turned on this booking went through. Since I am still waiting on a response from my first guest to accept the change in the reservation (that he requested) for the new dates I assumed airbnb would not let others book on the same dates. Apparently that is not the case (which I think is a serious flaw). After speaking to the customer service representative my most likely options are either to cancel the new reservation and get penalized or accept the reservation and disappoint my first guest. I do not like both options. Can you please help me with other suggestions on the best way to deal this?

5 Replies 5
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Christina529,

You have instant book turned on so the first person to commit by actually making a reservation gets the dates. Airbnb works on a first come first served basis.

All you can do is either keep the instant book reservation or cancel it and then hope that the other guest accepts the date change.

If you want more control over reservations then turn off instant book.

Steve.

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

@Christina529Moving forward, if you want to to this in the future, you could make the dates you don't want booked ridiculously expensive and send a special offer to the guest that you do want.

You could explain the situation to your new booking. They may cancel.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"Since I am still waiting on a response from my first guest to accept the change in the reservation (that he requested) for the new dates I assumed airbnb would not let others book on the same dates."

The system can't 'guess' the intention of the guest, why it doesn't automatically block the dates. Another vote for turning off  Instant Booking, especially when you first begin, for you do not have much feedback on what kind of clientele you will get according to your price and what you offer. 

Melinda60
Level 2
Conway, SC

As soon as this request came up,I would go to my calendar and block the dates requested.After the day  limit issue is resolved with Airbnb,you contact your guest and tell him they have to change their reservation quickly,as someone else can book after you have unblocked your days on the calendar for availability.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Christina529

maybe it is your good karma, you never know..... your guest initially booked 28 days = your maximum, and max lenght for short term stay. If he accepted your alteration he would book more then that and he would become a tenant. This means also different regulations and law would apply... and you should protect yourself with a lease contract etc...

Just a thought...