cancellations

Julie1124
Level 2
Versailles, KY

cancellations

I am new to AirBnb. I had a guest who had reserved our room for two nights, contacted me just 1.5 hours before he was scheduled to arrive, stating that due to travel delays, he wouldn't be making it for the night. He would arrive the next day instead. He is asking for a discount on the first night (total nightly rate is only $28). Is this common? My cancellation policy is flexible, and he didn't officially change anything, he's just asking me to 'give him a break' on the first night. How do I do that, and should I do that? Advice?

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

While it never hurts to see if you can get a discount, it doesn't mean you have to provide it.  Don't do anything, @Julie1124 as this change must be initiated by the guest and you do not have to agree.  Of course once this is settled, meaning you do not give a discount, you can offer a small discount for future bookings if you want to see this guest again.

Aurora62
Level 7
Groningen, Netherlands

I'd give him a discount, but not as much as a full night. Just explain him kindly that you do understand the situation, however you blocked the night for him.

I wouldn't go for a hard no (after all, it's not his fault AND there will be less clean up involved), also because angered guests aren't your friends for reviews (especially if you just started, you don't want bad reviews leaving you dry at the beginning!)