carpet repair or replace?

Eirena0
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

carpet repair or replace?

My guest has spilt red wine on my cream wool carpet.  The stain is about the size of 2 pillow slips.  I have contacted 3 carpet cleaning companies with quotes between $100 & $120 to clean.  However, all have stated they can not guarantee the stain will be removed.  The room size is about 3 metres x 4 metres.  I have insurance with an excess of $300.  Should I have the carpet cleaned and risk the stain remaining or replace the carpet straight up?  Obviously the cheaper option of cleaning would be best but I dont want my guest to have to pay for cleaning and then if the stain remains, have to pay my insurance excess to replace the carpet too

What should I do?

Eirena

4 Replies 4
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

Another option would be to try to clean it yourself, then replace if it doesn't work. The carpet cleaning companies don't have access to anything you can't buy at your local store.

The real issue is whether it's a good idea to have cream colored carpet in a rental unit? If you're going to replace anyway, you might consider other color options.

Hi This is not a rental unit, this house is my home where I live.  Sorry guys but my 2 teenage sons lived in this space for 2 years - wool carpet is very forgiving but red wine is another matter apparently.  Thank you for the suggestion re trying to clean myself but that was the first thing I did as soon as it happened.  Unfortunately the tannins just absorb.  Thank you for taking the time to respond though - I appreciate it.

Hi again Ed & Hugh  The colour is probably more 'wheat' than cream and is a loop pile so is quite robust but you are right, a charcoal colour would be more practical.  The carpet colour was not my choice.  The saddest thing is the waste of red wine! 

"The saddest thing is the waste of red wine!  " I totally agree!