change the star rating system

change the star rating system

I have read the feeds concerning guest ratings and have to agree that the system of reviewing is flawed.    I am fustrated  that the  rating and feedback system does not take into account that guests often do not read the listing properly before booking then complain about the location, size etc when it is very clear in the description and pictures what they are getting for their money.  Also that there appears to be no way to discuss these guests ratings with  airbnb if the host feels that the review is unjust.   Especially since star ratings can affect a hosts status.

One of the main issues from some of  our guests is the location.  We are up above the town in a village - 15 minute walk up a steep hill which is made clear in the listing several times.  The second is the size of the apartment - again this is made clear in the listing that the apartment is small.   Third , we are one of the cheapest accommodations on the island, provide many extras, have so far waived the half day fee if guests have to catch a late ferry, provide a free pick up from the ferry terminal at times yet have received less than 5 stars for value.        I'm not sure what the answer is, is there a system for hosts to challenge a less than favourable rating when it is clear that the accuracey is not the issue but the guests inability to read the space description properly?  When air bnb place so much value on a host's star rating and can penalise them for low ratings, it seems only right that the company rethink the rating system. 

5 Replies 5
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps addressing the two 'weak' points right of the bat may serve to eliminate the 'surprise' aspect of them. Starting your 'Space' description with " Just 15 walking distance up a hill from town, this small (X sq.ft.)...may help take those two issues out of the equation. Just a thought. Nice place btw!

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

I agree - but there is no way Airbnb will want to try and mediate on whether a review is fair or not. I personally don't believe a guest should be able to leave a 1 or 2 star review in any category without producing some osrt of evidence (for cleanliness photo's would be a simple solution, for accuracy they should have to state the exact issue). I got slammed recently by a guest who left a one in every category - cleanliness because she objected to cleaning up after herself as there is a cleaning fee. She said location is bad - across the road from the beach -  have no idea where she wanted the property to be, or why she booked it if she didn't want to be there. All I get is to look bad and an email from Airbnb saying I need to up my cleanliness - seriously? Automated emails from Airbnb are part of the problem as they don't take into account whether there was a real issue and just cause more bad feeling. Hopefully other guests can see that she was being totally unreasonable. Nothing I can do about it. Nothing Airbnb will ever do about it.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Peter578

You are right - guests doesn't read and Aibnb is to big to care about it.

Our last guest gave us 4* for communication bc "our estimated time of arrival from the airport to the apartment was unrealistic . " Immagine! After more then a year of hosting and half of our guests arriving from the airport - we don't know how much time is needed ;D

The thing was that they had issues with a luggage and then dispite our recommendation to take a taxi they decided to go by public transport to save few bucks (but they didn't because the price is the same) so they needed 1 hour more to arrive and kept us waiting on the street . Of course they didn't informed us about the luggage problem and that they will be late and of course we didn't get any apology. We got 4* instead . 

All bad reviews and low stars ratings we have got until now are because our guests didn't read, ask or think. Everything could have been solved if they did.

Gina how often Airbnb updates your star rating? It seems like they don't give a crap about that either

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

You just have to accept that some are totally clueless and review unfairly.  I have written in my IB pre-booking message to read the full listing before they book.  I believe it helps.

Here is my latest review: (on a different booking site, but that should not matter much)

"What a nice and luxury apartment! We were given a very warm welcome by Marit. The home was neat, clean and provided with everything we needed. Kitchen machines, coffee, tea, herbs, milk, breakfast cereals, umbrellas. Even shampoo, conditioner and soap from luxury brands were available. The apartment is well heated and there is underfloor heating in the bathroom. Nice beds with down feather bedding. TV, internet, remote controlled lights. The location is perfect, right in the center and close to everything, there is even a supermarket right next door. It takes less than ten minutes to walk to the famous Bryggen, and less than five to get to Torgallmenningen, the big shopping street. There is a bakery on the corner of the street and plenty of nice places to eat and drink. We really loved Bergen, the people are exceptionally nice and the prices were not as bad as we expected. We recommend this city and staying at Marit's! "

The latest airbnb review:

"The apartment is amazing and had EVERYTHING you need to relax, cook and enjoy time in a home away from home"

2 bedrooms, 63 square meters for the price of a double at the hostel. Still being dinged for value occasionally !

I am one block from the biggest and most central hotel in the city - still have been dinged for location.  

and like @Branka-and-Silvia0 got dinged for check-in because they took forever getting from the airport and my daughter had to leave for work. They were well informed and no language barriers between Norwegian and Danish.