check out policy

Brad3
Level 3
Tucson, AZ

check out policy

Why doesn't AirBnB have a check out policy? Both myself and my partner have had issues with tenants not checking out on time. It creates a real headache when you have a 11am check out and another 2pm check in. 

I have granted late check outs if I have no one coming in that same day, but only when they ask in advance. This week my partner has had two guests still asleep when she knocks to clean at her check out time of 11 am. In both cases the guests took their sweet time leaving, making the turn over a rushed affair. One guest two weeks ago wasn't even in the property at check out time and needed to be located to tell him that he was supposed to be out of the unit already.

I propose that AirBnb have some sort of policy like hotels do. If you are not checked out by the check out time and no provision has been made in advance for a late check out, the guest is automatically charged for another night. I guess that could cause problems if you have another guest checking in, but in cases detailed above, we as hosts had zero leverage. The guests all basically took as much time as they wanted to vacate.

Thanks!

Brad

40 Replies 40

Excellent idea to charge them double the nightly rate if they check out late!!! I will update my house rules right now. My last guest treated the check-out date as a 'this is what you might want to do if you feel like it' rather than a rule - I had to put their stuff by the door and they came and picked it up hours later. Not fun for anyone.

Vasiliy0
Level 2
Dominican Republic

Sometimes it goes even worse.  The guest can claim that they are going to check out whenever they want, using the negative review as a leverage. They will never mention this in Airbnb they can just ignore all your messages. 

I think that the suggestions made here are excellent and very helpful. 

I have IB on just about everything. I also have a cohost during the busy season so checkout needs to be prompt. There have been situations where a Guest has been exceptionally pleasant to deal with and I have had plenty of advance notice, so an hour or two is no big deal providing that it's mutual. 

I presently have a PITA Guest who is erratic. It's a late checkout waiting to happen. I took your advice and sent a reminder in advance. They are poor communicators, but at least I've done my job.

Thanks for the help! 😉

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Brad3

My opinion is that the best is if you march in with your cleaning supply, open all windows and start cleaning while they are packing 🙂 

I have had to do this, too.

I agree..... I knock, enter and explain that their booking has expired and that I need to start cleaning..... gets people moving very quickly!!

Marko17
Level 5
Bled, Slovenia

Is there a particular reason why checkout time is set hourly only? Our check-out policy is 10.30h (also on all other booking portals). In AirBnB I can set only 10.00h or 11.00h. Which is not that big of a deal in low season. But it does annoy me a little.

Marianne394
Level 2
Maidstone, United Kingdom

I totally agree!!! 

have spoken to airbnb about this before and they said entitled to charge extra if leave late. we clearly say 10am check out and reiterate this whenthey arrive but some guests just ignore this. my guests this morning left hour later. just told her its 10am and looked at me like what?? especially if staying a week, seem to think they can come as go as they please.

we work and try to work around people that want to check in early and then they arrive 2 hours late without letting us know and my husband has even lost a days work doing this.

sorry just having a rant as most guests are lovely but some treat it like a hotel and pay very little for the great hospitality we provide.

Md-Mizanur1
Level 10
BSB, Brunei

Hi Brad,

Airbnb already have check in time and check out time policy. You need to decide yourself what time you want to allow your guest to check in and check out and set the rules under booking policy setting.

Most of the hotel, resort and hospitality industry follows standard check in time after 2:00 PM and check out time set to 12:00 (noon). If you set check out time 12:00 PM then still you have 2 hours to clean the room and get ready for next guest.

There is another option also you can set check in not allowed in between 12:00 AM to 06:00 AM as you like.

Thank you.

Regards

Mizanur

Nancy115
Level 5
Mills River, NC

Luckily I've only had 1 guest who abused the checkout time. I generally allow late check-out if requested before the last day. After reading other hosts with similar issues I've updated the house rules I leave in my Airbnb rooms and highlighted checkout time. I'm still considering adding a fee for later checkout.  I'm unsure if a policy is required as it could be abused. If a guest leaves 5 minutes late they shouldn't be punished with a fee.  However if it adversely affect your business you have a right to compensation. 

Sam3410
Level 2
Boise, ID

Yesterday the Airbnb guest your mother warned you about texted me at 11 am (the checkout time): "sorry, I forgot to checkout. We are in Elko (300 miles away), and will be back around 2:30 to get our stuff. Can we go back in and get it then? We have most of it." I called her and explained this was not acceptable. I felt like I was talking to a 5 year old as she did not really see what the big deal was. I went to the house, and placed all their stuff out by the door. I called her to get an extra $50 for the cleaning they should have done (fridge, sink, kitchen had stuff everywhere), and she argued with me until she saw the photos I texted her, then she agreed. This was a first-time Airbnb traveler. I think she assumed it's not a big deal to leave the house a mess or check out hours later - what is Airbnb doing to educate guests like this???

Also, why is there no Airbnb policy for late checkouts without the owner's consent??? Airbnb is soooo guest-friendly. What about the owners? Without us, Airbnb would not even be in business!