check out time

Cabin-For-Two0
Level 2
Kopavogur, Iceland

check out time

Hi! I have been host for about five years and never had a problem with check out time, most of my guests leave early. But this summer so many guests do not respect out time. They just sit out or inside, take a shower after check out time, even take a walk and so on. What can you recommend that I say or do to those guests? I do not want to be rude and like my guests to be comfortable but I have more house to take care of and time is very important to me.Best regards Margret

35 Replies 35
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Rhank them for their stay and good bye?

David
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Cabin-For-Two0

yes, some guests are very casual about check out time but if they are still there when we come we just tell them to please hurry up bc we have new guests arriving in 2 hours and have to prepare the apartment for them. And it works.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

The day before check out, @Cabin-For-Two0, I ask the guests to confirm their check out time and/or ask if there will be any problems with the stated check out time.  I don't book back to back reservations because I hate to be under pressure, but I do like to schedule my day and want to say good bye when they leave.

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

@Cabin-For-Two0, Your place looks AMAZING! No wonder people want to stay as long as they can : )  I have a set message I send early on the morning of check out, thanking the guest for their stay, reminding them of check out time, and asking them to confirm their departure time, so that I can organize cleaning accordingly. So far, so good.

@Isabel203 that's what I was going to say!  It would be good practice to let them know an hour or so before check-out time that check-out time is "in an hour" or whatever you choose, just to remind them.  They may have just forgotten.  It's happened a few times with me, but I do not do back-to-back stays either.

Thank you Isabel

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Whatever you choose dont wait until the day of departure to ask your guests what time they depart or remind them of departure time. Thats not being proactive. It creates confrontation and provides the guests few options. Always do your best to get departure information details BEFORE the guest arrives and BEFORE the day of checkout. If the guest hasn't made it obvious they are in the middle of packing up then giving them an hour notice isn't going to do it. Furthermore, they are likely going to be sleep when you message them.

I always ask before their arrival of their departure time. If I don't see or hear that they are in the middle of packing the morning of check out then I knock on the door or ring them and see whats going on. This is a rare occurence and only happened once. Come to find out they were drunk, hungover and pretty much dead to the world. Once I understand the circumstances then I can move forward. I messaged another guest about their check out plans and he was surprised my check out time was 11. Not sure what time he thought check out was but he eventually arrived back to my house packed up his things and we said our good byes.

I don't offer back to back reservations if I'm not off work that day and although it affects my occupancy it provides the guests and me a little wiggle room.

Are there county rectrictions in Las Vegas

@LaVerne0 are you referring to check-out time restrictions? Or simply general host/rental/tenant restrictions?

You may find this page helpful:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/906/las-vegas--nv

Best of luck!

Ken

I referring to county/city Airbnb restrictions.

I try to be as flexible as possible for check ins and check outs because my guests to date are all international travellers so there is the flight schedule to consider. I also block a night before and after a reservation so that I have enough time to clean up and get ready for the next guest. Because all my guests till now have been long-term, I need at least a full day to clean the room and bathroom.

But if I needed to make sure the guest checks out on time, I would definitely check with the guest 1~2 days before the check out date and politely remind them of the check out time - and that I need them OUT by then. 

Slippery check out is a tricky one. By slippery I mean the group who wants to leave bags and come back for them later. In theory I have no problem with this if I'm in - I can keep bags in another room and still have turned the room over - but you have to avoid this slippage that looks like 'not really checked out' (ie, come back for bags, change, shower, etc).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB

My guests are staying well beyond their check out time despite notifications. This makes very difficult the cleaning and prep for next guests. Can I charge a penalty? if so, it should be provided by Airbnb page.

Milton & Marilu

Yes. Put the fine in your listing, otherwise airbnb will not support it. I now charge $25 for every 30 minutes after check out time. It tops out at a daily rate, per airbnb rules. Obnoxious behavior to not checkout in time.