check out time

Cabin-For-Two0
Level 2
Kopavogur, Iceland

check out time

Hi! I have been host for about five years and never had a problem with check out time, most of my guests leave early. But this summer so many guests do not respect out time. They just sit out or inside, take a shower after check out time, even take a walk and so on. What can you recommend that I say or do to those guests? I do not want to be rude and like my guests to be comfortable but I have more house to take care of and time is very important to me.Best regards Margret

35 Replies 35

Where do you charge a fee for being late with check out time? I've looked all over the website. Thanks Jeannie

We have problems with very late check out time. We posted an earlier check out time and will give a one hour period of grace. Will charge a certain amount per hour beyond this period. I feel Airbnb should help. A Check out deposit reimbursable if the guest leaves on time might be a good idea.

Milton & Marilu

Since AirBnB's "security deposit" isn't really a "security deposit" (or even a credit-card hold) I would doubt they would help much with an hourly fee for late check-out. 🤔

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I might be a bit of a hard-ass compared to some of you! My listing has 11am checkout. It's in the house rules that they need to arrange early check-in or late-check-out prior to reserving.

The day before check-out I send them an e-mail with checkout instructions, including a reminder about 11am check-out. If I don't have back-to-back bookings or don't plan on cleaning that day, I'll let them know a later checkout time - usually 1 or 2pm. Almost all my guests have been great at leaving on time.

A few have stayed longer; at 11:30 I'll knock and start bringing in my cleaning supplies/stripping beds. It's all friendly chats, but my presence is clearly sending the "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here". I owe it to my next guests to have the place ready when I said I would.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I agree with @Allison2 except I am vacumming immediately after my check out time. I have 3 rooms so I am probaly already up there cleaning the other rooms anyway.

David
Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi @Cabin-For-Two0 I have my checkout time of 11:00 am included in my "Welcome " sheet inside the guest space. I often have back-to-back guests and need the time to turn e room over. If a guest is still inside at 10:45 a.m. I knock on the door gently, apologize for disturbing them and ask if they need anything like plastic bags to help pack. Usually, they are almost ready to leave, so this gives me a chance to say "good-bye" as well. I make sure all the talk is light and friendly. Since you have such a great outdoor space, I can understand the temptation on your guest's part to linger. However, as far as I am concerned, once the checkout time is up, it is now your space, not the guests'. I would say "my cleanup Help will be here very shortly, and I have other guests arriving in a few hours, so do you need help getting your bags to the car?" Said with a smile, of course.

Our new rules include a penalty of $25.00 per hour for unauthorized stays beyond check out time. This will discourage abuse. 

@Milton19 The only problem is you will have to try to collect this money from the guests yourself, and they may not be willing to pay, and the whole thing could go hostile. Airbnb will not collect any fees of this kind from any guest or from a security deposit.

Airbnb will allow a claim against the security deposit through the resolution center.

Anyway will work in their heads. Guest will want to avoid any payment. 

Airbnb will allow a claim against the security deposit through the Resolution Center.

Anyway this penalty will work in their heads. 

Airbnb will allow a claim against the security deposit through the Resolution Center.

Anyway this penalty will work in their heads....

Have you tried this @Milton19? Because I don't believe this is correct. You can always ask the guest for money, but Airbnb does not collect against the security deposit except for proven damage and repairs. They don't collect for host-added fees for breaking rules.

Thank you Milton, I did not know those new rules.

Kate.Thank you so much for your advice.

Andras7
Level 3
Athens, Greece

i checked out your listings , i dont even see the checkout time ! maybe the guest are unaware of what time they supose to leave ?! the cabin one has it clear at 11am, but the other 2 do not

im more flexible in this , i have a check out time set to 15 (3pm) if they still there at 2pm i remind them that we would need the room in an hour because we need to clean it, if they persistant that they like to hung out, i offer them that they can leave they stuff in the common area or hung out in the common area till they train or plane leaves, like this every one so far was happy, i be nice about it, but firm, they understand