co host scam?

Summer125
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

co host scam?

Has anyone received an inquiry with a link to a property they are a "co-host" of when they only have one property that they are a host of? Thank you in advance of any feedback you may provide.

26 Replies 26
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Summer125 What was the stated purpose of including a link to another property in the inquiry? (BTW, never click on any links sent in a message)

Summer125
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

They just stated that they were interested in booking the property for the link they provided over Christmas. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Summer125  I'm sorry, but you still aren't being at all clear.

They sent you an Inquiry about booking some property other than your own? They sent you another inquiry at Christmas? 

Are they Inquiring about booking your listing or what?

Summer125
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

No sorry. They are inquiring about booking at around Christmas but they provided a link to a listing that I "co-host". However, I don't have any listing other than one and I don't co host anything. It also won't like me decline the request. 

@Summer125 do you have a screenshot of this inquiry? It's hard to understand how you could receive an inquiry for a property you don't host.

Summer125
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

Screenshot_20200724-222913.png

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Summer125  It seems quite odd,  I couldn't explain where the guest would get the idea you have anything to do with the other property. It may be some sort of scam- if you clicked on that link, it may be some way to hack your information. 

What I would do is just message back saying that you only host the property you list and aren't  a co-host for any other place, so you are confused by their Inquiry message. Then see if you get a reply and take it from there (post here again if you still need advice). If it's a scam, they won't even answer, because all they were trying to do was get you to click on the link.

Don't worry about declining- this is an Inquiry, not a Request. Don't confuse the two- they are dealt with differently. There is never any reason to decline an Inquiry and every decline lowers your acceptance rate. With Inquiries, all you have to do is message back within 24 hours- you don't need to either pre-approve or decline. You will get pesky reminders from Airbnb to Pre-approve, but you can safely ignore those.

A Request does have to be either accepted or declined within 24 hours, although if it is inappropriate in some way, if you can convince the guest to withdraw their request, you won't have to decline it.

Summer125
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

Ok. Thank you for your help. Have a great weekend 🙂 

@Summer125 

This hyperlink isn't an official airbnb link.

It looks like a scam, where the bait is a curious proposition sent to you. You want to know about this 'mysterious' second listing.

If you click on the link, I would presume there you would be requested to enter your log in details on a fake set up site. If you entered your info the scammer would have access to your details without your knowledge then.

Normally in this type of scam it is to attempt to divert legitimate payments from you or to hijack your listing to enable attempts to fraudulently launder stolen card payments.

I'd recommend to reply to the message , just with a simple dot or thanks - to keep up your response rate. Don't follow the link, report the profile that sent you the message.

Amy-and-Becca0
Level 3
Portland, OR

I was just message scammed in a similar way.  The message framed it that there was a duplicate of my listing with a different price and which one was right.  I reported them.   Frustrating to have scamming happening!  Stay vigilant, and don't click on links. 🙂

Michel6533
Level 2
Peyrefitte-sur-l'Hers, France

Même message avec un lien pour pisher notre mot de passe et mail.

Marie-Judith0
Level 2
Colmar, France

Hi from France ,

I just receive exactly the same message !

I reported 

Pål3
Level 2
Höganäs, Sweden

Hi from Sweden,

I just recieved the same question. The requesting guest account (someone called Marga) seems new. I talked to airbnb and they seemed puzzled. 

2022-03-08 kl. 12.05.27.png

Roger781
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi, everyone this co-host scam Would appear to be global ! I received one today from someone called Martha . It is identical apart from the dates . I have declined and reported it.