co host

Erin197
Level 2
Grass Valley, CA

co host

Hi. I co host for one property that I verbally agreed to receive 15% for my co host duties.  (All bookings since I have started co hosting have gone well and the guests have mentioned me in their reviews.)  I recieve $50 for cleaning the 700 sq foot space after checkout. I am expected to book the guests, maintain the calendar, communicate with the guests throughout their stay, be on call for their emergencies and review them after check out. I stock all supplies with petty cash and do all of the laundry at my own home. These hosts live next door to the property. Included in this 15%, the hosts expect me to upload new photos  and create new rental accounts on other platforms. They also expect me to do all marketing and research to create more bookings.  If the hosts have questions about pricing or technical support, they text me and I'm expected to contact customer support and resolve the issue.  I am in the process of creating a written contract for my role as co host, the hosts have agreed to this.  I feel that the 15 % commission should  include the booking and managing of guests, reviews, on call responsibilities and maintaining and synching calendars. I was going to add that 3 hours of marketing research is included each month in the 15% fee. All additonal duties including creating new rental listings, maintenance calls for the unit, marketing research beyond 3 hours per month will be billed at $35 per hour.  We are in Northern California. I'm curious what other hosts expect of their co hosts involving marketing and research in an effort to create more bookings and also what hosts expect in terms of co hosts doing technical support?  Thoughts? I want to be very reasonable and create guidelines so that my role is very clear for both the hosts and myself. Thanks for your postive feedback. 

16 Replies 16

@Erin197 - For this much work, I would ask for 25%.  It sounds like you are doing ALL the set up work and I would not include any "free" market research - that's not included in the short description list of what "co-hosts" can do for a host.  You are functioning as a full-time listing company and it's unclear what the hosts are doing at all (besides paying the mortgage).  The going rate for co-hosts is 20%.  And if you are not already doing so, I'd make sure your "contract" is on the Airbnb platform and that you are listed correctly.  

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1243/what-s-a-co-host

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1534/what-can-a-co-host-do

https://www.airbnb.com/co-hosting/start?ref=co_p1

https://www.airbnb.com/co-hosting

Hi Alice and Jeff, I really appreciate your response. To clarify, do you think that I should ask for 25% for only what is included in the short list of what co-hosts can do and add technical support, then decide upon an hourly rate for anything above those duties including marketing hours? When you mention my contract being on the Airbnb platform I'm not sure what you mean. I've searched for a sample contract and have not found one here. I will write my own if needed.  I am listed as a co-host  and paid through Airbnb. Thanks! -Erin

@Erin197 - Use the links I provided.  They will send you to the Co-host Marketplace where you can write what you'd be willing to do as co-host.  When the homeowners add you officially as their co-host, all the conversation and negotiation can be found in the back and forth on the Airbnb platform.  Thus your "contract".  Should anything go awry with the hosts, there were be a recond on the platform of what you agreed to do for them for the price negotiated.  This would give you back up should you need to make a claim via the Resolution Center.  Guess what I'm saying is, if you have to go after them for any payment, I personally would prefer to have Airbnb work with me through the Resolution Center and Co-host Marketplace than have to hire an outside attorney.  

That being said, it looks like you are talking about the guest houst listing on your profile.  Based on the work they are asking you to do, the market research, the upkeep of the listing profile, contacting the guests, being available 24/7 to the guests for questions and issues, well, that seems like you are doing the bulk of the work.  The work (actually the "labor") is the communication, set up and the "selling" online - getting the bookings, bringing in the money.  Typical labor costs for many businesses run between 25 and 35%.  It actually kills me that Airbnb suggested only 20%. 

What you are willing to work for as a percentage of the overnight cost should be based on the number of hours you work per week to make that money, if that makes sense.  So for instance,

if you spend, let's say 10 hours doing everything you need to do (including cleaning) to settle a 2-night stay, at 15% + cleaning fee, you make $8.50/hour more or less.  If you take 20% + cleaning - wage goes up to $9.75.   However, if the reseration is for 5 nights - and maybe you have to spend 3 more hours answering questions, "being available", the extra cleaning for a longer stay, at 15% your wage goes up to $10.70/hr.  Now I don't know what kind of reservations you get at this location or how much time it takes you to book that reservation, but calculating out what you will earn for each type would help you decide if 15%, 20%, or 25% works for you.  Personally, I always look at the shortest reservation since that will always be the least I will be paid, but you may prefer to average it out.   

BTW, the average hourly salary for a Customer Service Representative in the US is $13.47 according to Payscale. A cashier makes $9.15.   It seems to me that you're doing more work than a cashier and a living wage is calculated to be $15/hour.  

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Skill=Customer_Relations/Hourly_Rate

Hope this helps.  

BTW, hotel labor costs typically run closer to 42-45% of operating expenses.  The difference there is the 24/7 staff, full-time maintenance, daily cleaning team, etc.   A property manager watching over a rental unit makes about 10% of the monthly income.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0 Thank you very much for your thorough response. I  truly appreciate your information and feedback. -Erin

@Alice-and-Jeff0 I have tried to create a Co host profile to promote what I'm willing to do as a co host on the platform. Even though I'm an accepted co host to two listings, I am on the waitlist to co host. Do you know anything about this? I will also contact Airbnb support. Thanks, Erin

@Erin197 - I'm not aware of this.  It would be interesting hearing what Airbnb has to say.  Sorry this process has gotten complicated.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0 Thank you for your response. It's strange,  when I heard back from Airbnb support, they said that I will be on a waitlist to be a co host for an undetermined amount of time, even though I'm already an accepted co host. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

15% sounded cheap but if the listing is high end maybe not.

Also consider the AirBnB living wage pledge.

David
April3
Level 5
South Lake Tahoe, CA

@Erin197 I agree with others that you do quite a lot and probably should be asking for a higher percentage. I am a co-host for two listings in my area and make different rates based on the different scope of the work I do for each owner. I do many of the things that you listed in your intitial post, but for the listing I earn a higher rate, I would, for example, do small handyperson work, extra cleaning if neccesary, and make improvements on my own with petty cash, etc. With the other owner we negotiated a lower rate but with less responsibilities. Both of these accounts we have signed contracts ourside of airbnb, and I'd recommend doing this, which would outline the expectations and requirements for both you and the owner.

One other note, especially since you do the laundry at your own place, I think the cleaning fee you earn is too low as well! 

@David126@April3 Thanks for your thoughful feedback. I requested 20% but did not include marketing in that fee, just the bulk of the duties that I listed above. I'm waiting to hear their response. April, I agree that the cleaning fee with laundry could be too low. The space is brand new and small so typically I can remake the bed and make it spotless in under 2 hours. The problem is that then I need to wash all the linens at my place then drive it back to restock before the next renter which always takes an additional hour and a half with washing, folding and travel time. 

April3
Level 5
South Lake Tahoe, CA

@Erin197 for reference, my place is also small (500 sq feet) and I can also get it done in 1-2 hours, when I clean myself. When I am out of town however, its hard to find someone who will clean for less than $60/time, and this is without having to do laundry. (place place doesn't have W/D so I have an account at the nearby Wash & Fold) I'd suggest at the very least that you ask the owners to buy an additonal 2-3 sets of linens & kitchen & bathroom towels, per room. They are going to need them anyway, and this way replacements would be clean & ready to go for you every clean. Imagine if sheets & towels were badly stained or ripped & you had no time to go out & purchase a replacement during a back to back booking? Then you could do the remaining laundry at your leisure and bring them back ready for the next time you clean.

Btw, I was born & raised in Grass Valley, my family still loves there 😉

Erin197
Level 2
Grass Valley, CA

@April3 That's great advice April, thanks. I do have plenty of sheets if I had the problem that you described, but I will be sure to get more towels. Yes, Grass Valley is awesome! We've been here for a year and a half and we are here to stay, it's magic. 🙂

Kelly422
Level 2
Corona, CA

HELP!!!!!  I went into what was presented to me as a 50/50 partnership with a lifelong friend who suggested this opportunity to me.  He lives in Arizona and our Airbnb is in California about 53 miles from my primary residence.  Because he had the capital, he agreed to front the start up and I would do the "sweat equity" which we now understand is called the co-hosting.  Eventually he will recoup his initial 12k investment (that number includes a deposit on our place, 8k in furnishings, tv/other home items (at $600) , and a partial month's rent of $2800. I put in about $2000.   He is now requesting that I give him $6000 so that I have paid half of the cost, yet I am still doing 100% of the work.  I feel like just giving it to him because he is absolutely not understanding the cost and value of co-hosting this venture and our friendship is starting to become damaged.  The problem with this is that I DO NOT HAVE $6000.  We are in month 1 of our biz and luckily our place gave us the first month and a half free so there is 6k there.  Do I just give it to him and continue to do the work by myself?  This seems so unfair and not at all 50/50.  I need someone's help.  I initially thought he suggested us going into biz with him fronting the money and me earning and working my value.  I am so distraught and saddened over this I can't even describe it.  My husband is so upset with me because it has financially burdened our household.  My cell phone was turned off, my rent on my real home is late, my cable got shut off.....this does not seem fair.