compensation

compensation

Hi. I am a host and on Christmas day, the oven in our property decided to break. It kept switching off and overheated. They didn't get in touch to let us know and left a note for us to find while cleaning up for the next guests arriving hours later. I have since bought a new oven but waiting for it to be delivered. I have let our current guests know the score, but should i be offering compensation - and if so, how much? I have no idea. 

Why do such things happen at Christmas?! 

Your views would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks

5 Replies 5
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Things do happen, hosts and guests know this too well. Hard to keep a 'spare' stove on hand, just in case. Perhaps think of something cool to offer that yes may cost you something, but they may appreciate. We just had a water pump go out in the island, the new backup crashed also and so did the new 3rd one, it was a manufacturing mistake on the whole batch. The guest were cool with it, knew it was a fluke, so I send them off a day sightseeing trip and they were super happy. Good luck.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Sophie457 I realized that refunding is a spring trap, set and ready to go off. If the incident is beyond your control, you just keep moving forward and resolve it. If you Directly caused it, offer to make it good. Take them a cheese plate or a fruit platter. Don’t offer room discounts, make them ask for one. 

Good Luck!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

I wouldnt offer anything unless the guest mentions it as being an issue. I would let them know it's not working though. I don't use the oven at home, let alone on vacation: it likely won't be an issue for them. I can count on one hand the number of guests who have ever used the oven in our Airbnb. 

Yes, I would agree it is somewhat dependent on the “necessity” of the malfunctioning item. Our shower had a glitch over Christmas (no plumbers, no parts) & it’s a one bath guest house. Husband & I got it mostly working so they weren’t without but it also wasn’t ideal. I offered the guest to leave (full refund) and then when they stayed I adjusted the reservation to give them a discount. They didn’t ask but it’s what I would have expected as a guest. 

In your case, I’d ask how they feel about having no oven and judge from their response what to do. 

Judith576
Level 2
Cape Town, ZA

Very interesting discussion. My guest is half way through a stay and for the first half, the pool was not perfect due to rain just before that. I had been working to get it right, off-schedule from normal maintenance, and applying chemicals myself, but it takes a few days. I have not as yet agreed to any compensation, but supposing I do, what is a reasonable amount. It is a 6-person house with a huge garden, wifi etc. I keep thinking of how it would be (for me) if the wifi went down and wasn't fixed.