damaged locks

Tobin1
Level 1
California, United States

damaged locks

A guest recently called me at midnight on the last night of their 3 night stay at a heavily discounted $110 a night.  They had somehow managed to break the door lock.  The lock is a twelve year old schlage.  I spent two hours on the phone coordinating a 24 hr locksmith to come and drill the lock.  It was $200 which they paid in cash, I was out of town.  After they left I replaced the lock at a cost of $80 which I paid for.

The guest feels I am responsible for the broken lock and that I should reimburse them for their $200 out of pocket cost.  They even alluded that this was some kind of scam I concocted... dubious non english speaking Europeans... perhaps..

I am inclined to chalk this up and let it lie as is..

Thoughts?

3 Replies 3
John212
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

Hello.  I would have an indepth conversation with the locksmith who changed the lock, and get his expert opinion on what happened.....did the lock fall apart.....did the key break off....etc.  If he indicates it was an old lock, and due to rough handling, it fell apart.....I would reimburse the guest.  If he said that the guest Obviously did something to the lock,..I would re iterate this to the guest, and either Not reimburse, or give only partial reimbursement.    I would go with what the Lock Smith tells you.  John

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

That would depend on why it broke.

David
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

12 year old lock....one view is that perhaps  it was on it's way out. They seemed to have no problems for first few days, which would indicate that they were using it successfully.

Was it coming to the end of its life anyway?