day of check in?

Don120
Level 2
Prince Edward Island, Canada

day of check in?

We're new Air BnB hosts - setting up our listing for weekly summer  / lake cottage rentals.

Trying to get an idea of which day of the week, Friday, Saturday or Sunday to choose for the check-in, turnover day.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, feedback will be greatly appreciated!

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Don120 I don't know for Canada but on Croatian coast, holliday rental turnovers are usually at Saturdays. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Hello @Don120! Welcome to Airbnb and the forums.

I use Saturday as my check in and out day during peak season, and I'm completely booked for the summer months. As a guest, it's what I would prefer: I think it lets you make the most of a one-week vacation. You can travel Saturday morning on the day of check-in and still have a bit of time to do stuff on the Saturday afternoon. On the other end of the vacation, you can go home on Saturday and you still have all day Sunday for recovery, unpacking, etc. On a pracical note for me, as a part-time host who works Monday to Friday 9-5, it also means that I'm available if there's a problem at check in or check out and I get to personally check my listing between guests, which is really important to me.

A lot of my competition does Friday to Friday or Monday to Monday so they can also offer half-week mini-breaks (bookings Monday to Friday/Friday to Monday). I don't do that, and I really don't like the Monday to Monday option.

I would also check to see what the hosts around you are doing. Checking on your competition never hurts.

Sam-and-Adam0
Level 3
Ottawa, Canada

@Alexandra316 @Don120 Hi fellow Canadian hosts 🙂

We do Sundays in peak season (though we used to do Saturday)... Our cottage is in a very busy summer tourist area/winerey area (Prince Edward County, ON) so we've found that guests want to be able to take advantage of all the events that take place on Saturdays. 

I've also found it works better as the summer gets closer if I have any weeks that aren't booked, I reduce my minumum nights and get a Mon-Fri and Fri-Sun (which I actually make more $ from, as otherwise I'd offer a weekly discount)

Also allows us to enjoy a 'fuller' weekend, having to do a flip on Saturdays meant never really being able to get away for a weekend ourselves. I think guests seem to need help/have the most questions in the first few days of their stay, so again, I'd rather not be doing that during my own Fri/Sat down time.

@Sam-and-Adam0 nice! I'm out in Niagara in wine country.

I see what you're saying about turnovers on Saturday eating your weekend, and I do worry about that. 

I may offer shorter stays next year. Still feeling everything out. I just felt like 2 turnovers a week were going to kill me, especially as I have 2 properties in 2 different places. 

Carol407
Level 4
St. Louis, MO

I suggest, first do what works for you.  Go with your gut.  The day that makes you happy is the day you should choose.  If someone wants special accommodations, they will ask and then you can decide.  Good luck to you.  Wishing you the best success!