delete response

Ralf0
Level 1
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

delete response

Hey guys,

How do I delete a response to a guest review that I wrote? 

Kr,

Ralf

36 Replies 36

@Ralf0 You can't unless you have broken airbnb guidelines which prohibit:

• Reviews that do not represent users’ personal experience.
  • Reviews unrelated to the actual reservation (ex: political, religious, or social commentary).
  • Content that endorses or promotes illegal or harmful activity or violence, or is profane, vulgar, obscene, defamatory, threatening, or discriminatory.
  • Content that violates another person or entity’s rights, including intellectual property rights and privacy rights (ex: publishing another person’s full name, address or other identifying information without permission).
  • Content that is proven to be used as extortion.
  • Content that refers to an Airbnb investigation.
  • Hence the importance for all hosts to calm down and not to answer a review they are angry with straight away. In fact in some cases it's wiser not to answer at all as it only drawers attention to the bad review. Most reviews are folded back after a few lines, but the response stays full . All future guests could read what you have written and this may not be what you want them to see. If you do feel the need to answer then do it graciously and thank them for the feedback which you will use to improove.Hopefully you will receive alot more guests who will give you good reviews and soon this bad one will get buried amongst the others.

What if your response was not in relation the booking itself? I accidentally responded to what  was a private email from the guest, but not in direct response to the actual review and it was put under the review itself, so it makes no sense at all?

I did something similar, although my response was in relation to the guest's review, I was thought that I was responding privately but my response went publically.  I think the option for private and public responses should be more distinguished to make it more obvious to users as to how they are responding, with aim to prevent these types of mistakes.

Jenny48
Level 1
Robertsbridge, United Kingdom

I just did exactly the same, thinking my response was private. The original review was lovely but as the guests were my first on this listing, they had asked whether their review did the job. I had replied that it would be great if they would change their comment on the 'double bed' to 'kingsize' as that was what it was. I then rabbited on about how nice it had been to get to known them and how I'd like to drop in on their place in Dorset some time. Not embarrassing, just irrelevant, and looks a bit stupid on my site as it's still very prominent. I agree that the site could be set up to make it more obvious that the host's response would not be private.

Same story. I thought I was replying to them personally, because it field box is placed under their personal review - but ended up posted in public. Which makes me look like an idiot, because their public review and personal review are talking about two different things.

So... Not... Fair.

Fiona2
Level 7
Pasadena, CA

You can't delete or edit your response. It pays to take a little time and breathe deeply before you respond to a review you don't like.

Don't blame the way a user interacts with a site or service. Instead, design productive and amicable solutions around the way a user interacts with that site or service. Get to know your users and either educate them and/or design solutions to reduce their barriers.

Why do you, @fiona assume that @Ralf0 was responding to a review he didn't like? I don't see any mention of him saying he didn't like the review and we don't know the reason why he wants to delete it. Limiting ourselves to only creating assumptions is one of the main reasons why sites and services create blockers for users. Assuming is important but only the very first step in understanding how to design for a solution.

"You can't delete or edit your response." - sounds very oppressive to a user and shows no attention to the user's needs.

"It pays to take a little time and breathe deeply before you respond to a review you don't like." - is an assumption that commonly leads to oppressive design that creates blockers for users (based on experience and data, not assumed).

Yeah, its definitely not obvious that it is a public response. I posted a response that has private information in it about my home (thinking it was a private response to the reviewer) which I don't want just anyone to be able to see. The email they send with the person's review has a large red button with "write a response." It should read "write a public response" or something more obvious, since the page it takes you to doesn't emphasize very prominently on the text box that it is a public response.

This is a simple design issue that they could easily fix with some user feedback (from us). Please don't be so judgy right off the bat to those of us that are new, we all have the same goal here!

Shawna2
Level 1
Laguna Beach, CA

I need to request air band b delete a message response that I did not send, but was sent from my computer on my account and somehow posted in the conversation with the guest.  This is not a request to delete or edit a review, simply a response on the conversation page which was clearly not sent by me. 

Stefan137
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Just did this too. Airbnb's email notification looks like this:

Private feedback example

So it shows the private feedback and then a button that says "Write a Response", but the response is actually being posted publicly...

Imho, the button text should be changed to "Write a Public Response".

Yep, I just did the same thing. Very confusing the way that button is set up and looks like you're just going to be responding to the private message. Has there been any change to this, or is there any way to edit your response?

I did the same thing.  Thought it was responding to private message .  luckily my review was 5 star and guest privately mentioned weak wifi and I responded (so I thought privately) That I would have a tech look into it as it should have been at 200Mbps)

I did the exact same thing - my guest wrote me review and sent private comments. I responded to what I though were his private comments but it shows up as a response to his public review. Since my response was concerning his private comments and not items he mentioned in the review I don't want this showing up publicly.

This was a very poorly designed feature. Fix this, Airbnb.

I agree with you. Poorly designed. Very unclear review private/public. I also fall in the trap.

They really need an other web master.