do i need to provide breakfast

Jan13
Level 3
Baylys Beach, New Zealand

do i need to provide breakfast

I am planning a holiday and wanting to stay at Airbnb places.

I am a host myself and this is a new adventure for me, being a guest.

I have just looked at a place however, breakfast is NOT provided. Nothing provided so I cna make my own. 

I thought bnb meant bed and breakfast.

How come a host can be on this site and not provide breakfast? That's the point of staying at a bnb surely.

Interested in Airbnb thoughts. 

189 Replies 189
Bernhard114
Level 1
Columbia, MD

I wish they would take of the B if they don't serve breakfast. It's certainly misleading.

@Bernhard114  Shall they take the Airb out, too? That stands for Air mattress bed. 

It's just a business name. It's not misleading. Does Crate and Barrel sell crates and barrels? Does Home Depot sell homes? Does Kayak.com sell kayaks?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

What an extremely strange thread. I guess people's inability to read simple description goes all the way back to at least 2016! 

And no, we do not serve breakfast, or provide milk, eggs or bread, given the vast array of personal preferences that people have...skim, low fat, organic, high fiber, etc.  At one time we provided instant oatmeal, but few guests ever used it, same for the fresh fruit that we have and sometimes still do provide, never is it eaten.   

We also don't have an air mattress.

Andrea4731
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

Not all hosts provide breakfast. In fact, most don’t. 

Jill101
Level 2
Paynesville, Australia

Yes, I thought being a bnb you would provide breakfast.

I am new at hosting, and I was wondering what a continental breakfast is?

Regards Jill

Petrina3
Level 10
Sapphire Beach, Australia

A selection of cereals,milk, bread for toasting with butter, jams, honey and of course vegemite ( in Oz)

i supply little sachets of porridge as well as fresh fruit and yoghurt. i live in Coffs Harbour so bananas are a given .lol

@Jan13in the US, traditional vacation rentals (entire home, not shared with the guest) don't offer breakfast, on the theory that you are cooking what you want in the space by yourself.

Also, AirBNB's success has come under scrutiny by regulators: some hosts that do share space can't offer breakfast in space they share with you without going through licensing and inspections by their local health department to ensure their kitchen is food-safe (or hosts are supposed to get a license to offer food commercially, but just haven't been caught violating their local law yet).

I just wanted to put it out there that for some hosts, offering breakfast might be more costly than it is worth for travelers-- so it is not necessarily just a lack of caring from your host.

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@Jan13  It is an unfortunate choice of name....Airbnb. It certainly implies that breakfast is included. For many hosts, this is simply not possible for a few reasons....they do not live on the property, they do not have a government license to provide food amoung other reasons. I have read that many times food provided is wasted...there are lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant or picky guests. Many, many reasons not to provide breakfast. Also, registered B&Bs are usually much more expensive.

In my case it is illegal for me to provide food. I am registered with the government as providing a "Tourist Home". Providing food goes under a different license and the food has to be taxed. That would drive up my nightly rate considerably. My listing states the food is not provided.

I tell my own guests that I am running a "Bed and Bath".

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

I have also wondered what the second b stands for if not breakfast. We are in a small town in the south so provide items for a simple self serve breakfast. Sometimes, I provide muffins (homemade) About half the guest eat it.

When I travel and use airbnb most provide nothing. I would appreciate at least coffee, but often that is not provided.

Good to learn about self-service breakfast is an option. I'm happy to provide the breakfast as long it is self service.

@Deborah1 hello i have coffee,tea,expresso maker with coffee and a pint of milk in the fridge,on arrival i leave a bottle of wine some fruit,sweets and popcorn.a soft drink in the fridge.a small shope is a 5 min walk from the apt.its not much of a expense and seems to warm up the check in,hope this helped 

I'm a new host and have "continental breakfast" in my advert. I have self keypad entry to separate unit with kitchenette (toaster oven, microwave, coffee pot and electric kettle) so guests can arrive anytime -- and I've already noticed people getting in quite late, or traveling on business and having to get out early a.m. I do not actually encounter my guests unless we run into each other by accident coming and going! Also it's a residential area and a half mile to nearest grocery or cafe. So they do seem to appreciate the food.  I will not make anything myself as I am not keen to get certified by health dept. I am keeping track of costs and I am doing OK just sticking to sale items at my grocery (holding off on getting that Costco membership!). So if orange juice is not on sale, they get apple juice. Bagels at my grocery can be had 5 for $1.95 from the store bakery and stored in the freezer. I purchased small food safe bags and ties, pull on my plastic gloves and repackage with # of bagels based on length of stay. Small containers of mostly everything, including milk in a box, unless they are staying a week then cheaper to buy a quart of milk and juice. Except large boxed cereals, whatever's on sale (no nuts) and poured into airtight plastic cannisters.  A couple small cheeses if they are on sale. Coffee I did order hotel filter packs on line in bulk, I have plenty of storage space in the garage. I'm just not excited about having to clean up spilled coffee grounds that don't make it into the trash can. That and juice are my biggest expense.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb is now a brand name, that's it. 

Just like you don't get an airbed, you don't get brekkie either (certainly not at my place).

And if we rememeber the B&Bs of old, you were kicked out in the morning and denied access until late afternoon.

Times have moved on. And not one of my 150+ guests have struggled with the concept.  

Anthony1823
Level 1
Sapcote, United Kingdom

I absolutely  agree, the very term Air BandB states it provides breakfast, even at an extra cost other use the term Air and sometimes breakfast. 

Anthony Slaymaker 

@Anthony1823 Do you also insist on/expect  an Airbed when you book on Airbnb?