do not host this person

Tina7185
Level 2
Flagstaff, AZ

do not host this person

Hello fellow Florence and Pinal County Arizona hosts! 

I have just had a horrible experience with my first ever guest in my first ever airbnb! Do NOT host to *[Guest]. She gave me a story about being in a difficult situation which I fell for. I subsequently helped her out by reducing her fees (I'm a soft touch!). We had many communications via airbnb messaging and she appeared to be very nice, very grateful that I was helping her, promised to look after the new house etc. etc. I even met her in person. 

After 4 days, Airbnb canceled her reservation and told her she had to leave immediately. They could only tell me it was something to do with her profile. She took two days to leave (She would not answer airbnb calls. I was paid for those days fortunately ) but she and her party of 8 trashed the house (e.g. red stains on everything, cigarette butts in the bedroom despite the no smoking policy, baby poop on things, trash left out etc), and stole several things, including the vacuum and hairdryer.  

We have filed a police report with Pinal County Sheriffs' office who said they have had previous contact with her. I am now in the process of sorting it out with airbnb. 

I know this is a rare situation but I wanted to warn other local hosts. Unfortunately it has put us off hosting, at least in this location. 

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

24 Replies 24
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tina7185  As this is an international English language forum with hosts from all over the world, the chances of this person trying to book with a host on this forum is very slim.

You warn other hosts by leaving an honest review, although if this person has had their account closed down, that won't be possible.

@Sarah977 , thanks! I will be writing a review - I just wanted to warn others as soon as I could. Long shot I know, but worth a try! How does one get their account shut down? 

@Tina7185 "How does one get their account shut down?"

Usually some violation of TOS. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Thanks, @Tina7185  -  uugghhh, what a terrible experience!  I'm sorry that your first experience was horrible in every way.  Try again.  Raise your price, put some pictures on the walls, let people who want discounts go somewhere else.  You got this.  You're an ultrarunner, for heaven's sake!

@Ann72 , haha! Thanks!! 

Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Tina7185   Wow, the things we think can only happen to other people. Sorry you had to go through all that, Tina.  I've had some pretty awful guests but nothing like that.   I hope it will never happen to you again

@Anthony223 , thanks! It sure has been an eye-opener! 

Lydia94
Level 10
Cleveland, OH

Hi Tina, I am so glad you informed other hosts, the problem is, this person will use another family member or a friend to book with Airbnb 

The problem is Airbnb, so desperate for guests, not checking the background before a guest can become a Member of the so called community. Just a simple phone  number or email. No government ID before asking the hosts to except anyone. 

We are not allowed to ask the guest questions before accepting a stranger into our homes. We get punished in our ratings. 

Airbnb made the supply of homes larger than the demand and the Corona virus is making it even worse. So be careful. Guests also now sending private codes to contact them directly, stay away from this Airbnb community members. My ratings have dropped because I don't accept this Airbnb Members. 

I hope you never have to go to such experiences again. 

Lydia 

@Lydia94 yes, she even asked me if she could get her son to book after she had  been asked to leave! The audacity...! Wow, I didn't know all that. What keeps you doing it then? 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Every scam always begins with a 'story' and every successful scammer is a great storyteller.. 

@Fred13 , right?! Ugh.

@Tina7185 

Sorry for the experience.

Glad Airbnb helped. That’s a good point.

Request for discount = demanding guest.

There is a price search criteria. It is not a decoration. 
Therefore, prospects have no reason to contact listing overpricing their budget.

Prospects in difficult financial situation don’t book a 3 bedrooms listing.

It takes me 34 s to reply :

« Thank you for your interest.

There are so many listings on Airbnb that i am sure you’ll find a place matching your needs and budget.

Just use the price search criteria on Airbnb. »

I even don’t ask information. Discount request is a red line for me.

And when I look where the booked and the review they wrote, i am pleased not to have host the prospect.

As said @Sarah977 , write a review to alert future hosts.

If the tenant don’t write any, write your review on the 13th day after leaving.

@Nathalie-Et-Gilles0  "It is not a decoration" 🤣🤣🤣

I write almost exactly what you write to people who say, "I want to stay in your beautiful place, but it's outside my budget."  

@Ann72 

Or You could write to them:  Get a better job, then You can afford my place.