do not host this person

Tina7185
Level 2
Flagstaff, AZ

do not host this person

Hello fellow Florence and Pinal County Arizona hosts! 

I have just had a horrible experience with my first ever guest in my first ever airbnb! Do NOT host to *[Guest]. She gave me a story about being in a difficult situation which I fell for. I subsequently helped her out by reducing her fees (I'm a soft touch!). We had many communications via airbnb messaging and she appeared to be very nice, very grateful that I was helping her, promised to look after the new house etc. etc. I even met her in person. 

After 4 days, Airbnb canceled her reservation and told her she had to leave immediately. They could only tell me it was something to do with her profile. She took two days to leave (She would not answer airbnb calls. I was paid for those days fortunately ) but she and her party of 8 trashed the house (e.g. red stains on everything, cigarette butts in the bedroom despite the no smoking policy, baby poop on things, trash left out etc), and stole several things, including the vacuum and hairdryer.  

We have filed a police report with Pinal County Sheriffs' office who said they have had previous contact with her. I am now in the process of sorting it out with airbnb. 

I know this is a rare situation but I wanted to warn other local hosts. Unfortunately it has put us off hosting, at least in this location. 

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

24 Replies 24

@Ute42  😂

What I really want to say is, "When I can't afford to stay at The Ritz, I don't ring them up and tell them I can't afford to stay, but I think your place is really beautiful, so can I stay in exchange for my discerning taste?"

Maybe these people have done too many unpaid internships:  https://youtu.be/VXMNirmddTA

@Ann72 Haha! That video is from 2016. It's only gotten worse!

Thats awesomely awful @Ann72 , I think I know her from somewhere or everywhere unfortunately...   Stay well Ann, JR

haha that's a good one, Ute. Smiling here

@Ute42, ich liebe dich!  What a perfectly apropos response!  Stay well, JR 

@Nathalie-Et-Gilles0 , thank you. That's great advice!

Michelle2475
Level 8
Massachusetts, United States

I have given price reductions occasionally- the first one with families who stained the rug, left all windows, doors lights on etc. The next one hasn’t happened yet so crossing my fingers. However, Friday I had one claiming another host cancelled on him last minute and could I reduce my price to match that. I confirmed with Airbnb that there was no cancellation. He wanted to pay $275/night and my rate is $400!  Surrounding properties similar to mine are currently $500-$900 per night. Yeah...no!

@Michelle2475 ugh, I'm sorry.  Fingers crossed for you!  I can't believe how some people just blatantly lie!

Michelle2475
Level 8
Massachusetts, United States

It’s kinda funny though when people say they’re going to ski/snowboard and never leave the house!  I really don’t care as long as they don’t destroy the place! 😂

Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME